Friday Fire: What Sparked Your Love For Sports?

black-father-son.jpg
Did it start here, or through your own experience?

What did it for you? Was it a game on TV or an event you witnessed in person?

6 Responses to “Friday Fire: What Sparked Your Love For Sports?”

1. Matthew Fudge says:

Through my dad (God rest his soul).

2. thebrotherreport says:

Same here.

3. KevDog says:

Moms was a single mother, never knew a father.

Started with the Dodgers in early and mid 70′s. When I was 11, I used to go to the Boys supermarket and help people with their bags in order to make lunch money and spending cash. Called it “Hustlin.” Used that money for Sunday afternoons at Ddger Stadium. Used to catch 3 busses by myself to Chavez Revine, buy a cheap ticket and sit way up in the nosebleeds by myself.

My favorite players were Jimmy “The Toy Cannon” Wynn and Don Sutton. The stadium was so beautiful, a far cry from “the Jungle” that section of South-central LA roughly bordered by LaBrea, Crenshaw, King Blvd and Baldwin Hills, where I lived.

Fell in love with the peace and quiet, VIn Scully’s voice caressing we fans and winning.

Remember dude on a bicycle driving down Gelber Avenue, shouting “Ali, Ali, Ali……” No one thought he could but Ali knocked out Foreman.

Then Magic came to town in 1979. It was over. Became a basketball fanatic. Lived, breathed and died with The Lakers.

1984 the Olympics came to town, best 2 weeks in the history of Los Angeles. I still get chills from that time.

Thanks for opening up this thread fellas. Crazy to say it, but it was Juice. Pop had a bunch of his boys over and I’ll never forget seing O.J. running down the sideline. I called him Orange Juice. I had to be 4.

5. MODI says:

Both my parents and brothers disliked sports, so it makes no sense. But once they let me stay up to watch the yankees in ’77, it was over from there. I remember walking into school and we were all bragging how Reggie hit three home runs. I was 7 years old and there was no looking back.

My parents bought me a little black and white TV for my room for my birthday, and from there on out I watched every Yankee game I could — even faked sleeping to see them. (Also got hooked on The Honeymooners and Star Trek afterwards on WPIX) A few years later it was on to Michael Ray Richardson and the Knicks. And don’t get me started on Bernard…

6. Matthew Fudge says:

The first Super Bowl I can remember watching was Super Bowl XII (Cowboys vs. Broncos). My parents used to take the TV from their bedroom to the living room for special occasions (all you under-30 cats wouldn’t know anything about that).

Baseballl, definitely the Yankees. Reggie Jackson was Barry before Barry. You have to pretty much OD on your own Kool-Aid to say you’re the straw that stirs the drink. If you think the Cowboys are controversial now, they don’t hold a candle to the Yankees in the ’70s. Let the Yankees blow a 3-0 lead to Boston in the playoffs back then. George Steinbrenner would’ve had Derek Jeter in the fetal position sucking his thumb. He would’ve suggested that A-Rod wear a dress to work. He would’ve b-slapped Joe Torre during an interview.

Basketball, the Lakers. The poor high school girls had to sit in class every day and listen to a bunch of knuckleheads argue who was better every day, the Lakers or the Sixers. And practically NOBODY liked the Celtics back then. Don’t get it twisted – just because cats are feeling the C’s now doesn’t mean that was always the case. You practically had to put a gun to someone’s head to give Larry Bird his props out loud (even though we knew in our hearts that white boy was bad).