TBR’s First Annual 2008 NFL Mock Draft (Picks 5-8)

What do the Chiefs need?

• Offensive Tackle
  • Quarterback
  • Wide Reeceiver
  • Outside Linebacker

What will they do?

The Kansas City Chiefs are in a bit of a pickle; they have one of the NFL’s best backs when healthy and happy in Larry Johnson, a budding star in second year wide-out Dwayne Bowe and one of the all-time great tight ends in Tony Gonzalez. The problem arises at the quarterback and offensive line positions where the Chiefs have been decimated. With Jake Long off of the board the Chiefs will more than likely look to pick #34 in the second round for their left tackle Jeff Otah from Pitt or Chris Williams out of Vanderbilt is a possibility. They will also look for help in the free agent pool.

The Pick: Although the Chiefs say that they are committed to Brodie Croyle for this season, their selection of Matt Ryan may change the minds of those in the front office and have Ryan battle for the starting job. Ryan would be in an ideal position with safety valves in Johnson and Gonzalez. He would also have a downfield threat in Bowe. If the Chiefs select Ryan, expect some waves at training camp this summer.

What do the Jets need?

• Outside Linebacker
  • Wide Receiver
  • Inside Linebacker

What will they do?

The loss of linebacker Jonathan Vilma to free agency nullifies the additions of DE Shaun Ellis and DT Kris Jenkins unless the Jets go out and get someone who can have an immediate impact. I don’t believe the selection of a cornerback to play opposite rookie standout Darrelle Revis wouldn’t be frowned upon at this point.

The Pick: Keith Rivers will cure the Jets’ woes at the outside linebacker position, given his athleticism, Rivers will make plays all over the field and will double as a pass rusher on passing downs.

What do the Ravens need?

• Offensive Tackle
  • Quarterback
  • Inside Linebacker
  • Safety
  • Defensive End

What will they do?

One of the building blocks of the Ravens organization has been Jonathan Ogden, at 6’9″ 345 lbs. the Washington D.C. native has been a pillar at left tackle for 12 years now –all with the Ravens. In recent years wear and tear have caught up with Ogden to the point where he has asked the Raven Organization to move on as if he’s retiring. No word yet upon his decision. The Ravens have all sorts of needs on offense. For now Steve McNair remains the starter but Kyle Boller is waiting to step in if McNair struggles. Don’t get me wrong Boller isn’t the answer at this time either. The Ravens will look at either Louisville’s Brian Brohm, Delaware’s Joe Flacco or Kentucky’s Andre’ Woodson in the second round.

The Pick: Rookie Head Coach John Harbaugh will go with offensive tackle Ryan Clady from Boise State as the first pick of his new tenure. Clady at 6’6″ 320 reminds many of the Redskins’ Pro-Bowl tackle Chris Samuels. Clady is an extraordinary pass blocker and is mobile enough to make a deliver a blow down field. Although a cornerback is also a likely selection, Clady is the best choice with the impending retirement of Ogden.

What do the Patriots need?

In the wake of Spygate the Patriots need to be without a first round draft pick, but I’m here to do a job so let’s move on. In losing cornerback Asante Samuel the Patriots are looking at a cornerback with their selection. At this point the top three corners are: Mike Jenkins out of South Florida, Leodis McKelvin from Troy and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie from Tennessee State. With 3 picks in rounds 2 and 3 the Pats can grab either one of the three and feel like they came away with the best player. Then again Bill Belichick could go with DT Sedrick Ellis, Glenn Dorsey or trade the pick altogether. Given the talent on the Patriots roster they’re holding a trump card with the #8 pick.

The Pick: At this point the Patriots need to strengthen the secondary – the losses of Samuel and Randall Gay cannot be ignored. I believe they are going to go with the bigger Mike Jenkins, with the talent at this position in this year’s draft it, almost doesn’t seem fair that the Patriots are fortunate enough to be in the position to draft either of the three.

Tune in tomorrow: The Cincinnati Bengals are on the clock…

19 Responses to “TBR’s First Annual 2008 NFL Mock Draft (Picks 5-8)”

1. [...] thebrotherreport added an interesting post today on TBRâ [...]

2. [...] thebrotherreport wrote an interesting post today on TBRâ??s First Annual 2008 NFL Mock Draft (Picks 5-8)Here’s a quick excerptThis is Day 2 of the 2008 NFL Mock Draft and the Kansas City Chiefs are on the clock, followed by the New York Jets, New England Patriots. and Baltimore Ravens. [...]

TBR,

Great post. Since my boy Webb retired, I’m ready for some football.

4. thebrotherreport says:

C’mon Michelle it can’t be that bad.

5. thebrotherreport says:

Hey Michelle – the Flyers s/b up 2 games, I’m nervous for my Red Wings, not in this round but down the line. Calgary looks good too.

I’m still cringing from that shot Thoerson took in the stones in Game 1.

TBR,

AND IS! I can’t even watch the NBA playoffs. The game without him will never be the same for me. The Fab Five made me a B-ball fan. Now that chapter is closing. I hope Juwan gets a ring with the Mavs. I just can’t watch the playoffs now. I’m hurtin!

Well I don’t think the Flyers will be around too long. They are too weak on D and in goal. Calgary does look nice. The Sharks were my wildcard. So we will see what happens. I got Detroit to win it all.

8. thebrotherreport says:

Ok watch the NHL playoffs, I’m gonna work on a post before the end of the playoffs.

*This means I’ve gotta do some real research. I’ve been sleepwalking the entire season.

K, I’ve been watching. I gotta watch something and to be honest I think the NHL playoffs are the most exciting to watch of all the major sports. You guys should do a piece on Iginla. He’s been gettin at it all year.

10. thebrotherreport says:

You got it! Look for it in the next week.

TBR,

That’s whats up! You guys are doing great things with TSF. I like the direction you guys are going. Keep up the good work. We all support you.

That’s what’s up. I can’t type but you guys all know that. LOL!

The Chiefs need a QB. Can anyone explain to me why Brodie Croyle is drawing an NFL paycheck? His daddy must be hella connected.

14. thebrotherreport says:

Thanks Michelle, yeah Miranda the Chiefs are in desperate need of a QB. I’m curious to see where Andre Woodson of Kentucky goes since everyone has stopped talking about him. He’s bigger (6’4″) and has a stronger arm than probably all of the QBs available.

Here’s the kicker HE’S A POCKET PASSER!!! A Black QB comes along that is a pocket passser from the door and he still can’t get any love.

15. origin says:

True thebrotherreport I read an analysis on Woodson. They said that the brother was slow and couldn’t see the cut back lanes when running. So when are QBs suppose to see cut back lanes when running Ohhhh I see only when you are black. Got you.

So when the black QB can run they criticize him for not staying in the pocket to pass. When he is able to pass he is criticized for not being able to run. When he is a quiet leader like woodson he is criticized for not speaking up. When he is a vocal leader like Vince Young he is criticized for being too vocal and immature.

Yet the kid from louisville is projected to go higher then woodson. Yet they say he is slower and has a weaker arm then woodson. Plus he is injury prone.

The NFL ain’t nothing but the good ole boy league.

16. mizzo says:

Two words: JOB SECURITY

17. thebrotherreport says:

Origin, I read Lindy’s Publication and they had him as the fourth best QB and gave him an 8.0 rating (out of 10) he’s legit. Sporting News had him rated 9th.

I’m pissed because the Eagles drafted a QB a year too soon, I would love to have this guy. If the Bears had any balls they’d take him.

18. origin says:

I feel you Mizzo and thebrotherreport Woodson is the truth I been following him since his feshman year. That dude IMO is the best QB in the draft.

I read the NFL networks analysis and they questioned his leadership and running ability. You know its the sam old thing. Just like NBA players draft analysis the black players are never said to have high basketball IQs whether they are foreign or american.

Never mind the bears man. They are probably the 3 rd worst ran team in the NFL………….realize they resigned Rex Grossman to a 1 year 3 million dollar deal.

The mckaskeys must be spoke dope. Thats why I wouldn’t spend a dollar on the bears even though I am from chicago and rooted for them my whole life. Same with the bulls and their cheap owner.

19. thebrotherreport says:

Got picks 9-12 coming out in about 5 min. Stay tuned.