Avery Johnson Out As Coach of Dallas Mavericks

av.jpg
Dirk is in his prime, but there always seems to be something missing in his game

The life of a professional coach has to be crazy. I liken it to a bunch of kids peeking around a corner hoping their Pop isn’t waiting with the belt after a bad report card.

Didn’t Avery Johnson just make the distinguished honor roll last year?

He’s out as coach of the Mavs despite his almost incomparable 196-70 record over the past three and a half years. He took the Mavs to the NBA Finals in 2005 and they won 66 games last season.

There was some philosophical differences with Mark Cuban that arose this season so you could sat the writing was on the wall–especially after a second consecutive first round exit even though the Mavs lost to a better New Orleans team. Will whoever gets the job take the Mavs to the top?

Nah.

After the Kidd trade and including the playoffs, Dallas was 17 up, 17 down after a 35-18 start.

Josh Howard seemed lost on the court during the season and into the playoffs.

I personally feel Dallas has yet to recover from the loss to the Heat and last years shocker at the hands of the Golden State Warriors probably was the Dallas death knell for the Little General.

He was grooming Devin Harris to be his floor general, but because of recent failures, Dallas had to make a drastic move in landing Kidd.

I hope he lands on his feet but he won’t be unemployed that long for he’s too good of a coach.

14 Responses to “Avery Johnson Out As Coach of Dallas Mavericks”

1. DavidMac says:

If I were them its would be time to start talking to Nellie again or making a play for Rick carlisle

DMac what have they won collectively or individually?

3. DavidMac says:

What has who won collectively or individually?

They coaches you brought into this discussion.

Mizzo – what were the philosophical differences between Avery Johnson and Mark Cuban? Did this basically come down to a difference of opinion about Jason Kidd vs. Devon Harris? If so, the decision to bring in Kidd clearing did not work. Dallas’ biggest problem for the past three years has been their inability to defend the perimeter. Wade, Baron Davis (and several other Warriors), and the Hornets demonstrated this weakness. This failure, combined with the absence of a shot blocker AND non-existent low-post scoring options is simply too much to overcome.

The Mavericks have done as well as they can do. I don’t believe an owner or GM should put too much stock in their losses to GS last year. They simply don’t match up well against that team. It would be foolish to restructure the team to beat an 8th or 9th place finisher. The Mavericks larger problem (as reflected in losses to the Heat and Hornets) hinges only in part on that which the Warriors revealed – the lack of perimeter D. The other two issues – low post offense and defensive shot blocking – must be dealt with by the general manager and the owner. Frankly, that is beyond the capacity of the coach.

I believe Avery Johnson will benefit greatly from losing this job. I don’t where he will end up – but he’ll be fine. He has done an outstanding job, but I don’t believe this team had the right personnel to win the entire thing – given the teams they’ve faced. I think the Mavericks will be fine as well. It will be interesting to see which players they keep as franchise cornerstones.

6. DavidMac says:

They have both won games, lots of them, as coaches. More than Avery. Carlisle took Detroit from being the garbage team it was into the power house they are today, he is the one that coached them back in relevance, you could say that the championship is rightfully his and that Brown rode the team that he already had made. Nellie, what more can you say about him, he is just one of the best coaches in the history of the NBA. He made the Bucks a force, made the Warriors a force, made Dallas a respected team, and then brought GS back into respectability.

Have they won a championship? Nellie hasn’t been to the finals. Why would he make a better coach? Dude get real.

After the Mavericks’ grueling 102-100 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers on Tuesday, coach Avery Johnson took longer than usual to make his way to the interview room for his postgame media session.

Turns out there was a good reason. The tenseness of the game and the tightness of the playoff race apparently boiled over behind closed doors. Johnson and Mavs owner Mark Cuban, who watched the game from his usual baseline seat, engaged in a heated argument.

This was from the Fort Worth Telegram, but I got a 404 when I finally found the link.

8. DavidMac says:

WHy wouldn’t he make a better coach than Avery. Hell it was the same season that Nellie stepped down after a few games that the Mavs went to the Finals. Since nellie has been gone for a full season, how many times has the Mavs been out of the first round, thats right they haven’t, as a matter of fact Nellie outcoached Avery last year. What has Avery done to show he is a better coach than the replacements I listed, hell, its not like he is coming back.

Nellie is a fossil in the game and hasn’t sniffed a Finals appearance. Give me Avery anytime for at least his teams play a modicum of defense.

Euro Ball in the NBA has to go. It’s NEVER going to win a championship.

Mizzo –

What do you mean when you say “Euroball”? I’m not sure that Nellie coaches Euroball, as much as he coaches a style just the like the one that Avery learned at Southern – as a derivative of the style taught by John McClendon. It seems to me that DMac is doing his usual caucasian ass sniffing and led others down the path of confusion. There is a reason that Avery was tabbed to be his successor. It seems to me that they’re cut from the same cloth (with respect to offense), but that when it comes to defense, Avery’s tutelage under Popovich has been at least as important as his time under Ben Jobe. Holla.

11. DavidMac says:

Well it doesn’t look like the type of ball Avery coaches is going to win one either.

Arsène Lupin (D’Antoni) played most of his basketball career in Europe. Did you know that Kobe wore the number eight because of D’Antoni?

Crazy huh?

I’m sorry if I was vague, but I meant more the Suns philosophy than the Mavericks. The Mavs toned down their running style after implementing Avery’s Southern influenced style.

I was listening to Avery’s interview on ESPN. He’s totally cool with the situation and he and Cuban still have love for one another. Shit happens. As I said, I suspect that he and the Mavericks will all be fine. These guys tried really hard to get it done. They deserve credit for that effort.

14. CEvidence says:

I would love to see Avery in Denver.