The 2008 Presidential Campaign: Is The Handwritting On The Wall?

I’ll preface this by saying that I’m far from a political pundit. I am a registered voter (Democrat) and I exercise that right. I’m fully aware of what’s happening in the political arena but hardly do I ever indulge in political discussions…Until now.

I like Barack Obama as a person and for my President, not just because he’s Black but because he’s Black and has a plan in place that many in America are buying into.

When I look at Obama and hear him speak, I see and hear someone that wants to change the face of the political structure in this country (literally) and how the U.S. is looked upon on a worldwide scale. This is the time in our lives that many before us hoped to see.

Even as change looms; I’m also fearful.

Up until a few months ago I would’ve said the same for Hillary Clinton but her recent comments and actions reek of desperation. At the time of his death Bobby Kennedy was the only candidate (Democrat or Republican) that had any interest in ending the Viet Nam War, he had the support of Dr. Martin Luther King up until his death on April 4, 1968. Kennedy feuded at length with Lyndon Johnson over the conflict in Viet Nam.

In regards to the war in Iraq today, Obama and Clinton would like to end the war while Republican candidate John McCain would like to continue the war effort. Clinton’s Kennedy comments were not only poorly timed but in poor taste as the grim diagnosis and prognosis of Bobby’s brother Ted’s brain tumor was announced last week. For her revist Bobby Kennedy’s assassination three times since March almost sounds like she’s trying to subliminally incite the fanatics willing to do anything to keep the White House white.

I knew it wouldn’t be long before race would be an issue in this campaign season – the elephant in the room can be avoided but for so long. However, the level of ignorance and misinformation displayed by even those in public offices is alarming and something that I’ve never witnessed. I don’t think that this country is for a Black Man or a White Woman and when it comes down to it that’s the question I see many people asking themselves which might give McCain a boost.

Racial tension is the highest that I’ve ever seen it in my lifetime. During the Michael Vick incident Mizzo and I talked about something happening that would really set off a racial fiasco. From the t-shirts to harassment of Obama supporters to comments such as, “I can’t vote for him because he’s a Muslim.” Lets me know that this country has eons to go before racial harmony and equality is even discussed without it being taboo. But for now it is what it is… And we’re nowhere near November.

2008 is looking eerily familiar to 1968. Our country is neck-deep in a war that becomes more senseless each day, while we lose a generation in the process. There is political tension surrounding the upcoming Olympic Games where the host country is in political turmoil. Finally, we’re in an election year where a change is needed and for the most part will be welcomed, but still the question remains…

Will change be given a chance?

8 Responses to “The 2008 Presidential Campaign: Is The Handwritting On The Wall?”

1. Jamie Holts says:

Can you tell me who did your layout? I’ve been looking for one kind of like yours. Thank you.

TBR,

In my heart of hearts, I don’t think he will be elected. This country still isn’t ready and to be honest, nonwhites in this country are still irrrelevant. PERIOD! If he is elected the secret service better stop up their game and protect him. He’s already getting threats, that’s probably why he didn’t waste time campaigning in WV. God bless him and his family,

3. thebrotherreport says:

I feel like once he gets the nomination people are going to look for reasons not to elect him starting with the obvious…and that’s sad.

But I would rather not see him elected than to be put in office and taken away from us – that would be the ultimate slap in the face.

4. Gyangstah says:

What I’m interested in what the reception will be for the Clinton’s when they return to their Harlem office. After all the racial overtones of this campaign, and their throwing of hard working people of colour under the bus. Why would anyone welcome them back. I think (and as of now, hope) their days in the political spotlight are over.

Cogent and telling analysis, TBR.

I’m not as enamored of Sen. Obama as you are, even though I think the world of his wife, for the simple fact that race has been a factor in this campaign since Iowa. The race issue though is Obama trying to distance himself from the more quote unquote controversial issues of being nonwhite in America. He’s the best major candidate left standing in this race and while I do understand the mechanics of running a political campaign (one of my degrees is in poli sci) I’ve been disappointed that when the subject of America’s continuing racial disparity comes up that he seems to pooh pooh it as the legacy of less enlightened times. When Black Americans make up the majority of this nation’s prison population while being at the most 15% of this nation’s population, it is disingenious for a leader of color to say this nation is 90% of the way towards racial equality. I’ve been burned by black faces in high places like Dr. Rice, Gen. Powell, and Justice Thomas but I’ll still feel a sense of pride as a Black man if the senator from Illinois is elected but I just hope he’s not another pol who takes US for granted.

Harvey – in all seriousness – given our history as a people (and I mean our real history Pre-US, pre-colonial, etc.), why would you feel a sense of pride simply because a face looks like yours? If you understand who we are and who we’ve been, you’d have to see that serving as POTUS is the least of it. Faces that look like yours are at the foundation of just about everything you see around you. I know you know all this – and it seems to me that you know biology is a dangerous game. Powell, Rice and Thomas were always complete unmitigated whores. Where is the pride or dignity in that?

We are better than that. Our short time on the plantation is over. It’s time for us to remember who we’ve been and must be — and get over these games that individuals play to feed our bruised egos. Holla back.

TBR:

I mostly agree with what Harvey said. I’m co-signing that the jury is still out on candidate BHO – even though he’s vastly superior to the competition. I agree that “race” has been an issue for quite some time in this campaign. I also believe that Hillary is doing a wonderful job of sucking all the air out of the room which precludes any conversation about the economy or the extension of US forces into Iran. She’s already down with the obliteration program based on the falsehood that Iran’s president has called for the elimination of Israel. I also agree with HD that BHO is going too soft on issues where he has latitude to push harder.

HD:

As a follow up to the last – I suppose I’d feel of sense of something. I don’t know that I’d call it pride – but it would be significant. His election would send a message that still needs to be heard around the planet. During the early 1900′s, “whites” spent an inordinate amount of time writing our ancestors out of history. Had they not done so, BHO’s candidacy would have a different meaning. His narrative (the personal stuff) is compelling because it creates “access” to people who might be considered “biological outsiders.” That’s very important.

T3

When I felt something akin to pride in figures like Thomas and Powell it was because I was still a kid who believed in the better nature of people who would be leaders. I assumed stupidly at the time that two Black men who benefited from the sacrifices of the Civil Rights Movement would reach back to help not just the people bound to them by race but all disenfranchised people in this country and this world. Fool of me and to use a political axiom it was a youthful indiscretion. The less said about Rice the better but I try not to be as critical of her because people have told me I get misogynistic whenever she’s the subject.

Heading into my 40′s, I’m completely cynical when it comes to American presidential politics because of the things I’ve read and seen since my college years. I’m willing to give Obama a longer leash than McCain or Clinton because they come across as more of the same old same old. Obama does too at times but sometimes a little fire comes out during his less guarded moments.

This discussion will be moot after the first Thursday in November though because I’ll bet anyone on this board one crisp dollar bill that the unrepentant racists team with the well-meaning white people to back their boy McCain and the Republicans won’t even need Diebold to steal this one.