This night job is kicking my ass, so the NYOIL Interview will be posted on Monday. Taped a segment yesterday with Chuck D to be aired Sunday night 11 pm-1am on Air America. Chuck called me after seeing Scoop and I asking Kobe Bryant questions on NBA TV in the press conference after Game 1 of the Finals. I’ll post some mini interviews with Julius Erving, Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe and a couple of interesting quotes I got from Kareem Abdul-Jabbar over dinner on Tuesday.

You happy O? One thing, ya gotta change ya number kid. 23 is no longer available

OK, enough of shameless self promotion. Usually the NBA draft, for me at least, is something I can’t wait for. I used to tape all of them growing up. Now the draft seems more like a made for TV production more than anything. I think TNT does a much better job of piquing your interest and providing unknown information as the players are selected. ESPN seems to be all about breaking a story. Who gives a damn who announces first where a player is going?

It also seemed that, after Rose and B-Eazy were picked, all the drama went with them. Riley got yall asses huh? You knew damn well Miami was not going to let one of the most dynamic young talents at his position in a while get past South Beach. Could you imagine being a rookie lacing them up in South Beach? Goodness…

2 hours after the draft, a blockbuster trade was announced that essentially had Kevin Love and O.J. Mayo swap cities. Memphis needed a little more size at the guard position and Love should develop well with teaming with Al Jefferson. Here’s the trade and all the particulars:

O.J. Mayo’s draft rights along with Marko Jaric, Antoine Walker, Greg Buckner and their contracts to Memphis for the rights to Kevin Love, swingman shooter Mike Miller, forward Brian Cardinal and center Jason Collins.

‘Toine is on his way to becoming Damon Jones with all the moving he’s doing huh?

Beginning to make sense now? Love is nice. If McHale teaches the youngster his skills? Wow

Oh the Darrell Arthur slide is more than meets the eye.

What was the highlight for you? Rose became the first guard since Bubba Chuck in 1996 to go first (Magic before him in 1979). Will he revolutionize the position with his skill set? I thought another intriguing trade was Bill Walker being traded to Boston via Washington. Don’t sleep on Walker. What about CDR dropping? Crazy…

Here’s a list of the other trades via AP:

1 — Indiana traded F Jermaine O’Neal to Toronto for G T.J. Ford, C Rasho Nesterovic, the rights to C Roy Hibbert and a player to be determined.

2 — Indiana traded F Ike Diogu and the rights to G Jerryd Bayless to Portland for G Jarrett Jack, F Josh McRoberts and the rights to G Brandon Rush.

3 — New Orleans traded the rights to F Darrell Arthur to Portland for cash considerations.

4 — Detroit traded the rights F D.J. White to Seattle for the rights to F Walter Sharpe and the rights to F Trent Plaisted.

5 — Minnesota traded the rights to G Mario Chalmers to Miami for two future second-round pick and cash considerations.

6 — Washington traded the rights to F Bill Walker to Boston for cash considerations.

7 — Portland traded the rights to G Mike Taylor to the L.A. Clippers for a 2009 second-round pick.

8 — San Antonio traded the rights to F Goran Dragic to Phoenix for the rights to F Malik Hairston, a future second-round pick and cash considerations.

9 — Houston traded the rights to g Nicolas Batum to Portland for the rights to F Darrell Arthur and F Joey Dorsey.

10 — Houston traded the rights to F Darrell Arthur to Memphis for the rights to F Donte Greene and a future second-round pick.

11 — Chicago traded the rights to G-F Sonny Weems to Denver for its 2009 second-round pick.

12 — Chicago acquired the rights to F Omer Asik from Portland for its 2010 second-round pick, Denver’s 2009 second-round pick and New York’s 2009 second-round pick.

13 — Miami traded the rights to F Darnell Jackson to Cleveland for a future second-round pick.

14 — Seattle traded the rights to C Sasha Kaun to Cleveland for cash considerations

20 Responses to “Friday Fire: After the O.J. Mayo/Kevin Love Blockbuster Went Down, What Are Your Thoughts On The Draft?”

1. ronglover says:

When I saw Love last night I though I was looking at Kevin Federline. Dude lost a good 30-40 lbs.

For the first time in some years I’m not scratching my head about anything the 76ers have done.

I’m curious to see how Hibbert/O’Neal/Bosh work out in Toronto. I will be not be surprised if Hibbert or O’Neal is dealt.

Hibbert was dealt to Indiana bruh. Good fit for him. I hear you on Love. If he surrounds himself with the right people, he has a chance to be one of the best American born White players in years–which the NBA needs.

Met him a few times and I was impressed with his confidence and poise.

That chest shot they were showing last night is ridiculous. You let him make one of those in the NBA and everyone will be trying it. I can guarantee you he will be in the 3 man event on All Star Weekend.

3. Diallo says:

If Love keeps the weight off and gets strong, he may be a beast.

Riles may be slightly, or not so slightly, duplicitous but he’s not stupid. You don’t pass up Beasley. With Mario Chalmers, Spark[Wade], Beasley, and Marion, the Heat might have a decent squad next year. Countdown to Pat coaching the Heat again begins….now.

4. ronglover says:

They are saying that he may be the best passing big man since Wes Unseld. That’s rare air.

Trying to figure out the 76ers next move.

Josh Smith is the next move hopefully. Sorry Co Co :p

Love is not better Webb and Sheed. There’s just no way. I have to see at least 10 triple doubles before I give him that.

Yeah, Riles just added to the made for tv bullshit.

6. I’m happy about the Memphis trade, OJ in Memphis is much better than him being in Minny.

7. rashad says:

It continues to bother me that GMs choose to ignore the players who take their teams deep in the tournament. Chalmers and CDR played big time games for long periods of time, and their reward is to lose out to players with potential. Have they learned nothing from Powe, Stuckey, etc? I’m rooting for both those players to tear shit up this year

8. ronglover says:

If it wasn’t for that finger injury Stuckey would’ve had an even bigger role in Motown this season, he put in work in those summer leagues, I wanna say he was the MOP in one of those leagues.

9. Co Co says:

Don’t start Mike! :) I’m going to go ahead and put this out there cause its what I do. Ya’ll know how superb (bad) I am at evaluating things, but um I’m not so sure about Beasley beastin in the NBA……. When I thought he was 6″10 I felt like he had a very good chance, but since he’s only 6″7 I’m not so sure.

Rashad:

Great point.

CoCo:

Isn’t everyone two to three inches shorter than they say? Think of David West with agility. Beasley and West are probably about the same size — and Beasley’s used to destroying people.

I should “more” agility. West gets around pretty well. He’s listed at 6-8. I think Beas(t)ly will be just fine. It’s not the size of the dog in the fight.

13. Co Co says:

Yeah I see what you’re saying, but I’m just not sure. Maybe he will be a carlos Boozer type. It could happen, but I’m just not convinced he’s as can’t miss as everyone thinks. But, as we all know sometimes a players success depends on the system he’s in and etc. We’ll have to see what this Miami coach is all about.

14. ansis paul says:

Coco the dude will be fine. His skill set is better then dudes like most PF.

Oh and Udonis haslem is 6’8 and Antwan Jameson is 6’9.

Beasley is 6’8 1/4″ so he will be fine. As lond as you have skills in this league you will be fine. Plus the dude has long arms and has a 7 foot wing span.

If Scola and haslem can avg 9 points in this league I darn well know that Beasley can avg. atleast 18 ppg. Especially with wade on the team.

This dude can create his own shot. Has handles, post up moves and an outside shot. This kid is the truth.

Its between him, rose and oden for rookie of the year.

15. ansis paul says:

Also Mchale must be hitting the peace pipe. Can someone explain to me why he traded for love.

Didn’t he state that he doesn’t want Al Jefferson guarding centers because of his size?? Didn’t he say he wanted to add a big man so that Jefferson could go to his natural PF position???

So what does he do??? He drafts a 6-10 PF. Well I guess Jefferson will be guarding yao, howard, kamen and shaq again this year.

How stupid can you be. He could have traded down and got one of the lopez kids who are truely 7 feet to play center and got another draft pick for next year.

Wow and I thought my Bulls were sorry.

Anyway Mizzo and Temple please pray for brotha Rose that young kat will need it in Chicago cause Reinsdorf cheap @ss will surround him with NBDL players and tell him to go out and win a championship.

16. eric daniels says:

THE NBA DRAFT IS BORING AND HASN’T BEEN INTERESTING SINCE THE LATE 80′S !!! JUST ONE LONG THREE HOUR SHOW WITH NO MEAT OR EXCITMENT WHATSOEVER.

mizz,

Did you check out the comments Dr. J made about Kobe?

Nah what did he say? My bad on the site. AXG and I were covering USA Basketball yesterday in NY.

19. eric daniels says:

Neither Kevin Love or O.J. Mayo will be stars in the NBA because neither have the tools or temperment to be great, any great player who would leave college after 1 year and get close to winning a National title like Love did and didn’t want to finish the job will get no respect from me. And Mayo is a taller version of Iverson and will not make other players better, but Love is not another Kevin Mc Hale and isn’t even a first or second option on a team.

mizz,

He (Dr. J) was on the air at a radio station in LA giving an interview last week. I’m not quoting him verbatim but he said that Kobe is a great player and no one can question his abilities as far as what he does on the court. Doc also said that some of Kobe’s actions off the court has disappointed him somewhat, for example his post game interviews and some of the comments he makes after losing games. He also said that eventhough Kobe is a great player, he is also “easily replaceable”.

Now, I don’t know exactly what he meant by his “easily replaceable” comment but some of these clowns (sports talk personalities) down here in ATL were sure trying to spin it in a negative light because of their hatred for Kobe. A college friend of mine and I were talking about this last week and he (my college buddy) said that Dr. J may have been referring to the ‘business-side’ of the spectrum regarding Kobe.

If you get a chance to either hear or read about Dr. J’s comments, let me know what you think.