Venus Williams: Wimbledon’s Warrior

Has yet to lose a set at Wimbledon this tournament

Let’s face it; how many of us have paid attention to Venus Williams lately. Since little sister Serena donned that catsuit in the 2002 U.S. Open our eyes have been fixated on her ever since. Her tennis isn’t too shabby as well; Serena has won more Grand Slam events than Venus (8 to 6).

When the lights go on at Wimbledon, Venus is locked and loaded. Saturday, she’ll be playing in her 7th Wimbledon Final.

When Venus is focused, she shows and proves her talent

Venus Williams has seen peaks and valleys in her stellar career come and go like the seasons.

She has never won the Austrailian (January) or French Opens. (May-June) Some of her performances have been great, while there have been some that leave you wondering. Tennis is one sport where and individual can seemingly redeem themselves over and over no matter how bad the setback.

And more often than not, in the heat of July, Wimbledon has become sweet redemption for Venus Williams.

The year of 2008 began with a setback for Williams, as she lost in the Quarterfinals of the Austrailian Open as did sister Serena. As is custom when both Williams’ sisters do not play deep into any tournament, questions of their demise surface (to the delight of many). The Austrilian Open was no different as Williams was asked if their decline was imminent. Williams shot back, “Serena and I, we don’t have anything to prove. The way we’re playing still maintains what other women are doing in tennis. We still set a very high standard. I don’t get too caught up in what the next person thinks.”

After a series of early exits following the Austrailian Open, Venus took and indefinate leave she would not go into detail but did indicate, “I’ve just been having some issues that I need to resolve, so I’m working on that at the moment and I’m hoping to be back playing as soon as possible. I’m not going to get any further into it, but of course I love the sport.”The following day, Williams’s agent, Carlos Fleming, said, “This [is] not a hiatus. This is not a break from the tour. This was a limited window where she could get these [medical] evaluations before the three major tournaments and Olympics this summer. Venus has assured me that there’s no serious medical problem.”

In last month’s French Open, Williams entered as the 8th seed but was ousted by 26th seed Flavia Pennetta in the third round.

As Wimbledon approached no one knew what to expect, but past history would suggest that Williams was going to be around for awhile.

She hasn’t disappointed.

Venus has been dominant in this tournament as she has won all of her matches in straight sets capped off with a win in the semi-finals over Elena Dementieva 6-1, 7-6. In this match Williams had a serve clocked at 127 mph, a record for a woman at Wimbledon breaking her own record of 126 mph. She also holds the WTA record for a serve of 129 mph.

Facing a possible showdown with Serena on Saturday, Williams seems poised to win her 5th Wimbledon crown.

Wouldn’t you be proud to have a family of such talent?

Consider this:

• Pete Sampras and Billiie Jean-King are the only Americans that have won Wimbledon more than Willams in the Open Era (beginning at Wimbledon in 1968.
  • She has more Grand Slam wins (6) than Martina Hingis, Lindsay Davenport, Maria Sharapova, and Jennifer Capriati.
  • As far as the men go she has won Wimbledon more than Jimmy Connors, Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick combined.
  • She has as many Grand Slam titles as Boris Becker and more than Jim Courier, Rafael Nadal, and Pat Rafter.

Away from the court, Venus has fought for the womens game to be placed on a level playing field with their male counterparts in regards to prize earnings in the major events. Williams has played a huge role in having the women’s prize earnings equaled to that of the men for the French Open and Wimbledon.

Did I mention Serena’s Catsuit?

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

23 Responses to “Venus Williams: Wimbledon’s Warrior”

Great piece Ron. Thanks for this. It’s a good look for the site because it’s a unique perspective. Venus has yet to beat little sis in a Wimbledon Final, so I hope she gets one.

As far as Serena’s cat suit?

All I can think about is cookies…

2. ronglover says:

I think about pound cake. (Michelle and Miranda are gonna kill me)

Did someone say pound cake? I think I’m about to have pound cake shakes. Anthony Gilbert’s Mom makes the best I have ever tasted. So soft, creamy and dreamy delicious…my goodness. If you all only knew.

AG get me some tissues!

4. ronglover says:

You really need to stop reminding me of AG’s Mom’s Pound Cake.

It’s the best thing ever. I’m serious.

6. Chuck says:

I had a really insightful reply until I reached the bottom of the post …..

jesus.

I feel ya bruh. That right there is straight African.

8. Ro says:

Congratulations Misses Williams on Sister Act 3.

9. origin says:

HAHA………I hear you brothas.

Man Venus and Serena in the finals…..man oh man….good googily moogily.

All that fineness on the court at one time…..don’t know if my heart can take it.

And Mizzo indeed straight from the motherland brotha. Thank the lord for sistas.

10. origin says:

Sorry I had to go there sistas Coco, miranda and michelle. But that photo took a brotha back to chilling in ATL during Freaknik.

LOL!!!!

11. BeinMiceElf says:

The only problem with their matches against one another is that out of the 15 times they’ve played, 14 of the matches have been awful or near-awful. I hope they both wake up Saturday wanting to drive a serve right through the chest of the other one. Maybe then we’ll get a final that’s worth watching. That 2003 match in the Wimbledon final was not fun to watch.

It would be nice if one of them slept with the others’ boyfriend Friday night. Can’t someone arrange that? They’d have the rest of their lives to kiss and make up at the family reunions, and at least the TV viewers would get an eyeful on Saturday.

I’m not hopeful that this wil be scintilating tennis on Saturday….

12. Co Co says:

Settle down boys! :) They are beautiful girls. I don’t know who is going to win Saturday, but I think its going to be a good match.

I think the reason why the matches between the sisters aren’t “status quo” tennis is because how in the hell can you get used to playing your blood and wanting to beat them?

It’s just not human. At least not how they were raised.

Co Co don’t be mad at us.

Ron did it. :p

LOL

14. Cevidence says:

Man…these two women are head and shoulders above the rest on the tour….I just dont understand how/why some people hate. You should hear some of the arguments I get into talking about the Williams sisters.

So whats the over/under that on Monday’s PTI Michael Wilbon will still be fawning over either Ana Ivanovic or Maria Sharapova before he even talks about these two great players. I can’t remember when is the last time he’s said anything positive about a Williams sister.

15. ron glover says:

Mizzo, just threw me into the fire.

Don’t be mad at me ladies (cowering in fear)

16. BeinMiceElf says:

The Williams sisters are “head and shoulders above the rest of the tour?” That’s not a very credible assessment of their place in the rankings right now. Neither has dominated the tour in recent years; granted, neither has any other woman. The Ladies’ Tour just doesn’t have a dominant player right now. I’d agree that Serena is the most interesting women’s player to watch, for a variety of sex-related and game-related reasons, but she is certainly not ‘head and shoulders above’ the field, and neither is her sister.

I think they could have been, but they got interested in too many things off the court and that took away from what they did on it. About eight years ago, I would have bet that they would have won 25-30 Grand Slam singles titles between them, but after today’s match, their combined total will be 15…. which is terrific, but not earth-shattering. considering Graf, Navratilova, and Evert beat that total by themselves. These are two of the top 20 women’s players ever, but let’s take it easy with putting them on such a pedestal. (Don’t forget, another player from this decade, Justine Henin — whom I loathe, but so what — gave Serena fits, and won seven GS singles titles of her own, one more than Venus.)

Now if you wanna talk sex appeal…. Serena is No. 1, with Gabriela Sabatini (ret.) No. 2, and Ivanovic No. 3. I also had a thing for Zina Garrison fifteen years ago…. (I’m not big on the curent drop of Russian blonds.)

17. Justin says:

I just want to know… is Venus still engaged to the ex golfer Hank? I didn’t see him in the stands nor did she mention him in her thank you speech as she did last year.

Was that some of the issues she had to resolve?

Does anyone know if they are still together?

18. [...] tennis throughtout their short careers. It’s a shame someone had to lose, but damn Serena you Ron’d us sexual scientific with that good God catsuit and catapulted yourself in the process to one of [...]

19. Allen says:

That catsuit is outrageous.

Cheeks everywhere.

LMAO! OK…I was away at the Essence fest and look what happens…the Oogle fest is going on here!

21. Mizzo started it – thinkin ’bout cookies.

22. free mahjong says:

Subject of your post is very interesting, bookmarked, regards hlonkoburg

23. Carlos says:

hola mi amor, sabias que sos muy linda……