September 11th 2001: Where Were You? What Were Your Thoughts?

My sincerest condolences to anyone here who lost a family member, friend or co worker on that fateful day or to anyone who happens to stop by for that matter.

When traveling to New York from Philly, the New York skyline is amazing to see simply because of how huge it is. Philly is nothing to shake a stick at, but it pales in comparison. The best part was when you are about to enter the Lincoln Tunnel and as you are coming off the ramp, the skyline smacks you in the face. It’s so close at that point and then in a flash it’s gone.

The size of those two buildings was almost frightening.

But they’re gone…

Still to this day, whenever I see a plane flying overhead I think of the twin towers.

What really happened and why? I’m sure we all have our thoughts.

Personally that day was the true shock and awe.

So many lives lost and I don’t think we as people will ever come to grips with the enormity of what went down. Whenever I see a movie with the towers as the backdrop, I stare. I don’t stare only because they’re no longer there, but because of what that day meant personally.

I picked up a side job working in retail. Around 9 am phones began to ring. We turned on a TV and saw what we thought was a World Trade Center fire. An architect shopping at the time explained what really happened just as the second tower was hit. It was crazy to see. She then referenced her expertise in architectural design and assured everyone the towers and the other 5 buildings that made up the World Trade Center, would not fall.

Then they did. All 7 were destroyed.

She ran out of the store very upset and the conspiracy theorist in me began to surface, albeit with reticent apprehension.

You could hear people crying. My mouth was opened and all I could think of was my family. There was talk of the Pentagon or the White house being hit, so I just wanted to get out ot there. My wife (at the time) picked me up and driving felt surreal. She’d already picked up the kids. My son was cool, but my daughter was crying because all she wanted to do was sit in my lap even though I was driving.

So we arrive home and immediately turn on the TV to see a bunch of smoke and hear sirens. My daughter jumped on my lap and she didn’t leave it the rest of the day. I remember her saying, “Daddy are the planes going to hit our house?” She was only four at the time. Even though I assured her nothing would happen, I honestly didn’t know.

A couple of days pass and because of Bush addressing the nation, all the camera angles, the sound of impact and images of people jumping, anger began to set in.

The anger was mainly about how we were going to respond. My business partner–at the time–and I would get into heated discussions on who and what we as a nation were supposed to be mad at. He was in the Army and stationed at Guantanamo Bay so I understood his mindset but definitely didn’t agree. It got so bad, our other business partner had to moderate.

It wasn’t difficult to conceptualize this was about oil and Afghanistan, but again, I understood his mindset.

Crazy, but all the drama put life in perspective and my marriage, job and business all began to crumble simultaneously.

I wasn’t the only one. Many of my friends marriages were in peril. I still wonder what that was all about.

I could go on but I wanted to get your thoughts on then and now, why and how. This is how I was affected. Of course you don’t have to get as personal as I for the sake of the story as I, but try to be as honest as possible.

Here’s a video sent to me by NYOIL 9/13:

15 Responses to “September 11th 2001: Where Were You? What Were Your Thoughts?”

1. Co Co says:

I was on the way to Best Buy then when I got home I turned on the tv and saw the towers and people jumping out of windows, the first thing I thought to myself was we’re about to f*** some little country up.

I was working and a coworker came in with the news. We turned on the radio and then the phone started ringing. Not knowing what was going on was the worst part of that day. I just wanted to be with my family asap.

3. ronglover says:

When the first plane hit I thought it was an accident, but when the second one hit, I knew it was something alot worse.

The sight of people jumping out of buildings is something I’ll never forget.

I’ve got theories, but no matter what they are it won’t bring any of them back.

For our parents, some dates that stand out are November 11, 1963, February 21, 1965 and April 4, 1968. For me it was November 7, 1991 (Magic announces he has HIV) and September 11, 2001.

4. DavidMac says:

I was actually at school, was after first period, some kid turned the news on and we were all looking at the first plane that had crashed. Right as we were about to turn the tv off to start class, we saw the other plane dive right into the other tower. That whole day we watched the news and talked about what was happening. It is a day I will never forget.

It also was weird because I lived on Keesler AFB and it was touch getting in because the threatcon was raised and I forgot my id.

5. Matthew Fudge says:

I was working as a temp at Bed, Bath & Beyond. When I walked through the front door, there was a lady crying on her cell phone and being hysterical. I didn’t think too much of it; sometimes, you just get bad news at work. It happens. Then when I got to office, I found out what had happened. One tower was hit, then another (if I remember correctly, there were rumors going around that the White House actually was hit). And quiet as kept, the government knows that if they really want to do that again, there’s only so much we can do to stop them.

As far as the divorce and unemployment rates going up after 9/11, I think I know what was up with that. When something that drastic happens, it puts your life in focus. You realize that life is fragile and cut loose the mess in your life.

6. Matthew Fudge says:

One ironic thing about 9/11: folks who hadn’t been to church in years woke up and realized. Had to get a ticket to get in.

7. KevDog says:

I was at work.

One of the nurses came around the corner and laughingly said that a plane had hit one of the World trade Towers. thinking it was some Wrong Way reigels in a small plane, we went into one of the rooms to watch. As we did so, out of nowhere, the second tower was hit.

The I listened further and almost started to cry.

They said that American Airlines flight 11 out of Logan had been the first plane to crash. My then Fiance and now wife had flown flight 11 out of Logan the previous day, Sept 10.

We had been booked on flight 11 for the 11th, but there was a mixup in making the schedule at work and I couldn’t get anyone to cover my shift. I changed the flight to a day earlier, bitching about how I was going to have to come back to work the same night I had flown across country.

I couldn’t make this shit up if I tried.

Thank God you and your wife were spared Doc!

Thanks for that.

I was living in ATL running my courier service and making my deliveries after I dropped my lady at the time at her job. The radio reported a plane hitting the WTC but just like Kev I thought it was probably some prop plane that went off course. Then the second plane was reported and I u-turned back and got my baby so we could go back home. I was sad, angry, and sick to my stomach not so much about who could plan and do something like this because I already knew of the term ‘blowback’ but just that our government didn’t stop this and let those people die. I always remember that feeling until I day just like I’ll always mark this day to honor those who died that day and have since then.

10. Eric Daniels says:

I was sleeping after a night of work and my who called me at 9:15 woke me up and said we are under attack, I said from who

1. Aliens
    2. Cubans and Russians ( I watched Red Dawn the night before)
    3. Or the Serbs and Neo Nazis

She told me to turn on the news and I saw the buildings burning and then the Pentagon on fire and then President Bush looking like a scared deer in the headlights white as a sheet. Then my friend called me and asked me who do you think did it, I said Bin Laden or some American White Separtists or the Serbs they all hate America. I felt sorry for the victims who died that day and their families, but ironically it was a great day for me personally I found 100 dollars, my favorite Record store got Funkadelic’s “Maggot Brain” on vinyl ( I waited 3 months with no sucess) and my favorite store had a sale on large 12 inch Cuban sandwiches for 3.50 so it was a grand day for me personally in a bizzaro way.

11. KevDog, if you ever thought that your life didn’t have a purpose, you found out on that day it did.

12. I was in Mid town on 5th Avenue and 51st at work…and I’ll never forget that day.

13. Christopher says:

Around 8:45 a.m. on the morning of September 11th, 2001, I and 100,000s of people along the west side of Manhattan heard the piercing whine of a jet plane moving south down the Hudson.

Everything about its trajectory was wrong . . .

You can read about my memories of that day here:

14. Okori says:

actually, Eric, not all Serbs hate America. Most don’t. It’s one of those unfortunate biases you hear about. Truthfully most Serbs respect America. It’s our current president who they have a problem with.

15. Kwaku says:

Okori, if the Serbs were thinking clearly they’d have more animosity toward Bill Clinton than George Bush. For all the crimes their military committed, the Serbs got a raw deal, both in terms of the way their point of view on the origin of the war was distorted as well as the allied military aggression. Just goes to show you that there are a hell of a lot of people with white skin that the western media loves to excoriate.