Been making the donuts NY style all day. Thanks Ron for getting this up. Here’s the video in case you haven’t checked it out.

17 Responses to “What Impact Will Colin Powell’s Endorsement of Barack Obama Have On The Presidential Election?”

Not much. Colin Powell’s legacy will be the day he sold his morals for a pension in front of the World at the United Nations. Powell does not have the standing he once did among Republicans because HE was supposed to be Barack and because Cheney and Rumsfeld effectively marginalized him while he was in office.

Powell has no standing among Black folks except those who still need to see a Black face in every space in order to soothe their miniscule self-esteem.

I’d actually all about Colin Powell. I thought he was off hunting or counseling his son (former head of the FCC) on how to give HATE RADIO a pass on Coon Shootin’ Season.

Fuck the whole family. How’s that for an impact?

2. ronglover says:

Alrighty them. LOL!

3. Eric Daniels says:

I second Temple’s statment Powell’s endorsment does not have the same power as if Condi endorsed Obama, then it would be devastating to the party and Black Conservatives in general because it would mean that Buckley- Goldwater conservatism is dying and they will be a permament minority party for at least 10-15 years

4. KevDog says:

I think Gen. Powell’s ndorsement is like a stream flowing, with a thousand other streams, into what becomes a mighty river. His endorsement, alongside that recently of the LA Times, Chicago Sun-Times, Portland Oregonian, Barry Goldwater Jr. And many others of a Conservative bent lends support to the notion that Obama is a potentially great leader and I agree 100% with Powell’s assessment that Obama is a potentially transformational figure-on many levels.

I would never forget Powell’s role in the bogus invasion of Iraq, but I’ll also never forget that he stood up and spoke for Affirmative Action, that he spoke up, yesterday for the simple notion that Muslims can be great Americans too, that in his book, he taught me one of the great lessons of my life to whit: Never let your ego and your opion become so intertwined that when one goes, the other MUST folllow.

KevDog:

He’s a general. When as a general he speaks in favor of a bogus that results in the d-e-a-t-h-s of thousands of innocent people, I cannot equate that to his sharing (in an unofficial context) about issues — regardless of the issue. Colin Powell did not build legacy on affirmative action or his support of elected officials. His legacy is in war.

This most recent pursuit (which actually allies his to Obama) greased the wheels for a nearly unprecedented appropriation of wealth. The US issued out tons of no-bid contracts to friends of the administration. The general was silent. The US is playing a serious geo-political game to control 4 geographically contiguous nations: Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Iran and Pakistan. 2 down, 2 to go. The prize, at the end of the Long War, is the capacity to lock China out of regional access to energy. The gift that keeps on giving is that the Chinese will have to continue to buy billions of T-bills to keep their economy afloat. That’s effectively giving the US a big Chinese credit card to shop and spend on whatever guns we need to keep folks like Colin on golf courses long after their fighting days are over.

I’m not as concerned with what Colin Powell says as I am with what he does. The same will go for Barack. I should think that given all that has gone before, folks would be awfully concerned. Could this stream actually be a deluge by the delusional?

6. Big Man says:

y”all see this about Jemele and Lou Holtz over at The Big Lead?

The reaction from the neo-cons is priceless…simply priceless. The impact of Powell’s endorsment is in their reaction to it…..its been the best TV ever.

Big Man:

You’re bigger than that.

9. KevDog says:

T3

I see what you’re saying about Powell, I just don’t agree. No doubt the invasion in Iraq killed several birds with one stone, so to speak, for Bush/Cheney and their gang including much of what you say. The Bush admin has been the largest criminal enterprise in human history in those regards IMO. But I do not think Powell is of the same ilk nor shared the same motives as they did at any point in the issuance of the invasion. I think he was lied to and misinformed. I also think that the very fact that he is NOT SOS now is because he learned over time how criminal and craven the admin was.

In any case, I read somewhere today that many believe his endorsement of Obama will seal the deal with some of the weakly supportive undifferentiated voters who look at Powell as above partisanship and knowledgible of what a Presidency actually requires.

10. KevDog says:

Miranda

It’s a Goddamn joke.

I can agree to disagree on this. Anyone can be duped. It does make one wonder, though, what the fuck he was thinking about during the decades of the 40′s, 50′s, 60′s, 70′s, 80′s and 90′s. I mean, it makes we wonder what he thought the game was when Saddam was considered an ally when he was willing to wage a proxy war against Iran — but was immediately reviled as an enemy as soon as he sought to expunge a British creation (Kuwait) from his national borders.

I mean, it’s not like he had no experience of these Texas-Kennebunkport muhphukkas from back in the day. George HW Bush only ran the FBI and the CIA. Not one – both. What the fuck, seriously, was Colin thinking?

Either way – if you want to extend the benefit of plausible deniability to his ignant, yet incredulous ass, have at it. Just know that you’re essentially arguing that the world’s foremost general (for a time, anyway) has a Palin-esque knowledge of strategy, politics, and the ruthlessness of people with whom he “lived” for decades.

Frankly, I guess it’s not that much of a stretch. I’ve met like that in every endeavor who simply had no idea their very own industries were constructed the way they are. I can see your point — and all that really matters is the corollary benefit. Thanks for sharing that perspective.

12. KevDog says:

I think Powell WAS a dupe and brainwashed for much of his career. I think Wisdom came late to him presicisely because he was so much a fool of exactly what kind of beast he was dealing with. I don’t know if you’ve ever read his book, but you can see him morph from zealous soldier to individual. So I will extend him the BOD on this one while recognizing the fool role he played for so long.

The only problem with that BOD is that if you were someone like Patrice Lumumba or just about any other African freedom fighter, he would have had to make it his business – his duty – his obligation – to see you DEAD all because your liberation might infringe on “American interests.” I guess he’s about as dangerous a fool as there has ever been. Since we don’t know what blood is on his hands, and he has a genial smile, we can avoid assuming the worst. I’d say that askaris of any stripe are all roughly about the same.

14. KevDog says:

T3

I agree with the above 100%. generals by definition are all mass murderers.

15. Patrick says:

Colin Powell’s endorsement will have little or no affect at all on Barack Obama’s presidential bid.

Obama did say Powell could have a place in his administration if Obama gets elected. I still believe Powell has something to offer in terms of being a diplomat and military ‘adviser’. However, I still can’t get over him ‘selling out’ and compromising his integrity for Bush/Cheney illegal activities.

16. Matt says:

Little or no effect?

Powell is a moderate who became disillusioned by the Bush administration, and is uncomfortable with the direction of the Republican party. Do you all have any idea how many Americans would describe themselves this way? Powell might not sway the black vote much but Obama doesn’t need help with blacks or the left, he needs help shoring up the middle. Moderates see Powell as a tragic hero; yes, they remember his speech at the U.N. but they also remember that he had the wherewithal to get out before he could be duped and used again, something that cannot be said about Condi.

And let’s not forget, this election could turn on a few hundred votes from Ft. Bragg or Wright-Patterson AFB.