Ron Glover’s NFL Predictions: Week 8

MVP Eli Manning of the New York Giants and coach Tom Coughlin celebrate after defeating the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona 03 February 2008. The Giants won 17-14. AFP PHOTO/Timothy A. CLARY (Photo credit should read TIMOTHY A. CLARY/AFP/Getty Images)

In what could very well be a preview of Super Bowl XLIII, the defending Super Bowl Champion New York Giants travel to Pittsburgh to face the Steelers at Heinz field.

Other games that may pique your interest: Tampa Bay at Dallas, San Diego and New Orleans meet at Wembley Stadium in London, England and the Cardinals travel to Carolina to take on the Panthers.

Byes this week: Vikings, Broncos, Bears and Packers

Sunday October 26, 2008

Oakland (2-4) at Baltimore (3-3) 1pm:

The Ravens have the NFL’s 7th best run attack while the Raiders are ranked 24th against the run. Expect the ball to be in Joe Flacco’s hands a little as possible.

The Pick: Ravens 20 – Raiders 10

Buffalo (5-1) at Miami (2-4) 1pm:

I feel  that the Bills can be had this week, after an emotional win over the Chargers. The Dolphins are decent against the run and Marshawn Lynch hasn’t set the world on fire this season.

Upset Special: Dolphins 28 – Billls 26

Arizona (4-2) at Carolina (5-2) 1pm:

Both defensive units will be challenged, the Cardinals run defense will be tested by DeAngelo Williams and rookie Jonathan Stewart. The Panthers D has to deal with a Cardinals receiving corps that has Anquan Boldin back in the lineup. Both teams are playing their best ball of the season.

The Pick: Panthers 28 – Cardinals 27

Washington (5-2) at Detroit (0-6) 1pm:

The Redskins cannot afford to look ahead to the Steelers next week, the Lions have lost their last two games by a total of nine points:

The Pick: Redskins 30 – Lions 21

Tampa Bay (5-2) at Dallas (4-3) 1pm:

A huge game for two teams headed in different directions. The word on Tony Romo is that he’ll be out til mid-November. The Bucs can’t treat this game as a gimmie, but as the Rams showed last week Brad Johnson can be hurried into mistakes.

The Pick: Bucs 27 – ‘Boys 16

St. Louis (2-4) at New England (4-2) 1pm:

A possible trap game for the Patriots who face the Colts next week. The Rams come in riding a huge wave of confidence and look to give the Pats a game.

The Pick: Patriots 24 – Rams 23

San Diego (3-4) at  New Orleans (3-4) 1pm:

I’m not big on regular season NFL games overseas. it has a pre-season look to it. Drew Brees looks to take apart the NFL’s worst pass defense. He’ll have to go without Reggie Bush who had knee surgery this week.

The Pick: Saints 31 – Chargers 24

Kansas City (1-5) at New York Jets (3-3) 1pm:

The Chiefs are giving up a ridiculous 207 rushing yards per game. Thomas Jones and Leon Washington should have big games. Which prevents Brett Favre from possibly losing the game.

The Pick: Jets 23 – Chiefs – 7

Atlanta (4-2) at Philadelphia (3-3) 1pm:

The Eagles are as healthy as they’ve been since camp. The return of Brian Westbrook and Kevin Curtis makes Donovan McNabb that much more effective. The run defense must contain Michael Turner and the league’s 2nd ranked running attack.

The Pick: Eagles 28 – Falcons 20

Cleveland (2-4) at Jacksonville (3-3) 4:05pm:

The Browns are looking to bounce back after dropping a close one to the ‘Skins. The Jags look to improve upon their best offensive output of the season two weeks ago.

The Pick: Jags 34 – Browns 31

Cincinnati (0-7) at Houston (2-4) 4:05pm:

The Bengals will be without Carson Palmer for the third week in a row. The Texans are averaging 28 ppg. the past three weeks.

The Pick: Texans 27 – Bengals 13

New York Giants (5-1) at Pittsburgh Steelers (5-1) 4:15pm:

Look for the Giants to run, run and run some more. Eli Manning will look for Plaxico Burress once in the red zone. The Steelers offense will miss Santonio Holmes (deactivation), but Nate Washington is far from chopped liver.

The Pick: Steelers 20 – Giants 17

Seattle (1-5) at San Francisco (2-5) 4:15pm:

New head coach Mike Singletary looks to turn around what has become a disappointing season by the Bay. Seattle will have to wait til next season for their turnaround.

The Pick: Niners 27 – Seahawks 10

Monday October 27

Indianapolis (3-3) at Tennessee (6-0) 8:30 pm:

The Colts aren’t moving the ball consistently and they’re definitely not stopping anyone. Not a good combination when the season is slipping away.

The Pick: Titans 30 – Colts 21

Last Week 9-5, Season 46-40, Upset Special 2-0

13 Responses to “Ron Glover’s NFL Predictions: Week 8”

I wanna pick TB over Dallas but I can’t believe the ‘Boys are going down like this even though I hope they lose the rest of their games this season. I’d be very surprised though that a team with that much talent could actually lose three in a row. The Bucs especially Garcia have been playing lights out though but beating them at home with the ‘Boys’ backs against the wall? Hmmm, that’s a hard call to make.

Don’t know what to expect in this Eagles-Falcons game though because while the Eagles should win this one, the Falcs are froggy enough to think they can actually pull the upset.

See this is the reason why I don’t place bets on the NFL. I take that back, I have an over/under this week on the Giants-Steelers game and not on the score. Bet one of my co-workers that Eli is sacked more than Big Ben on Sunday.

2. Tariq al Haydar says:

Steelers – Giants a SuperBowl preview? I don’t believe in either team.

I’m looking forward to the Birds of Prey showdown (Eagles – Hawks).

I’m disappointed in the Saints. I would have liked to see Drew Brees in the playoffs.

P.S.
    TO annoys me.

What’s going on Tariq? Thanks for checkin’ us out.

4. thebrotherreport says:

Pittsburgh has been doing it without their best back(Parker). If anything does the Steelers in during the playoffs it will be their inability to protect Rothelisberger.

The Giants have the running game needed to survive in the playoffs.

Neither is my choice for the Super Bowl right now it’s too early to call it.

One thing I know for sure is that the Cowboys are in deep trouble.

Santonio Holmes absence killed the team today. The team was something like 1-14 on 3rd down. Washington had a TD called back because of holding. 2 points off a bad snap by linebacker James Harrison. Farrior missed easy tackle on Boss on 3rd and 9. Toomer beats Gay on 4th and long.

Giants made plays and fewer mistakes.

I don’t know what made you think Brandon Jacobs was going to run in Pittsburgh. No one does (except for Fred Taylor). It was a great game. Very physical. No one blinked. Steelers need Holmes as much as they need Parker. Moore did well. The team had 100 rushing yards in the 3rd qtr, but couldn’t adjust to pass in the 4th when the Giants stacked the run.

Those goal line stands in the first half were intense.

Westbrook is sicker than your average mos def. Now that they are presumably healthy, the Eagles are about to go on a run.

LJ Smith got some of that cold rock stuff from Lawyer. He might be done for the year as a result. He will remember that hit every time he goes over the middle or sees someone do the same.

Brian Westbrook is DA TRUTH.

TBR:

I think when the Giants are in tough games against good teams, the key to their running game will be Derrick Ward. He runs very hard and is versatile. Jacobs, for all his power, is not going to being able to get it going against the stronger run defenses in the league. With that said, there are probably only a handful of teams in the league that could slow his down – Tennessee, Pittsburgh, San Diego (when healthy), Baltimore, etc.
    ————

That one-dimensionality of the Buccaneers reared its ugly head yesterday. Maybe it’s just that it was a road game. Two impressive wins, though, for New York and Dallas.

9. thebrotherreport says:

That’s true about Ward he runs angry as they say and for a player his size that’s scary for anyone on the other side.

Yeah man the Bucs got handled yesterday, Dallas dug deep to get that one.

Mizzo, L.J. Smith doesn’t remember that hit, believe me. LOL!

My poor 49ers are falling apart AGAIN! DAMN!

Ace Cole Hamels puts Tampa to bed tonight!

11. thebrotherreport says:

I haven’t been this nervous since my son was born. For anyone that lives in the area whether your a diehard or not you have to be pumped.

I’ve lived here my entire life and seen 2 parades (’80 Phils, ’83 76ers) and those 25 years seem like 50. My only regret is that my Pop isn’t here to see it. I’ve got a bottle of Moet in the fridge now waiting for that third out.

World Series Cap $40
    Bottle of Moet $40
    A championship in Philadelphia and a Black man in the White House in the same year…PRICELESS

I would normally crack up at that Ron, but they’ve found Jennifer Hudson’s nephew. I just posted the story. This is one of the most disgusting crimes in recent memory.

13. thebrotherreport says:

Just read it. You know I’m sittin’ here thinkin’ about Q. Glad I talked to him this morning.