Ron Glover’s NFL Predictions: Week 9

We’ve got several intriguing matchups as division races tighten up across the NFL. The Jets will try to keep pace with the Bills when they travel upstate. Baltimore travels to Cleveland to take on the surging Browns. In the biggest division matchup of the day the struggling Cowboys take on the division-leading Giants.

Let’s hope for T.O.’s sake there’s enough popcorn to go ’round.

Sunday November 2, 2008

Baltimore (4-3) at Cleveland (3-4) 1pm: A suddenly unpredictable Baltimore offense goes for the season sweep of the Browns who are back in the AFC North race.

The Pick: Baltimore 21 – Cleveland 19

Houston (3-4) at Minnesota (3-4) 1pm: The hot Texans have not given up 100 yards on the ground in two of their last three games. While the Vikings Adrian Peterson is beginning to heat up.

The Pick: Texans 31 Vikings 24

New York Jets (4-3) at Buffalo (5-2) 1pm: This is where we will see what both teams are made of. Who have the Jets really beaten and can the Bills hold off the rest of a surging division. Thomas Jones is the x-factor in this game.

The Pick: Bills 24 – Jets 16

Detroit (0-7) at Chicago (4-3) 1pm: As bad as the Lions are this is a trap game for the Bears who have the Titans at home next week.

The Pick: Bears 27 – Lions 17

Green Bay (4-3) at Tennessee (7-0) 1pm: I believe the Pack have enough offensively to give the Titans their toughest test to date. But they give up a ridiculous amount on the ground to control this game.

The Pick: Titans 23 – Packers 20

Arizona (4-3) at St. Louis (2-5) 1pm: Kurt Warner returns to where it all began. The Cardinals need to make a statement on the road against an improving Rams squad.

The Pick: Cardinals 38 – Rams 24

Tampa Bay (5-3) at Kansas City (1-6) 1pm: The Bucs were unable to run the ball against the Cowboys last week, they should feel better about themselves this week as the face the NFL’s worst run defense.

The Pick: Bucs 28 – Chiefs 7

Jacksonville (3-4) at Cincinnati (0-8) 1pm: The Bengals are giving up 146 rushing yards per contest, the Jags have yet to get their running game on track let alone their season.  The running game may be in luck this week.

The Pick: Jags 24 – Bengals 10

Miami (3-4) at Denver (4-3) 4:05pm: The Dolphins have a chance going into this one, I though earlier in the week that the Denver would be under a foot of snow by now, 73 degrees on November 2nd.  Global warming is a mother.

The Pick: Miami 28 – Denver 20

Atlanta (4-3) at Oakland (2-5) 4:15pm: The Raiders are too banged up in the backfield and unable to stop anyone else’s to stay in this one.

The Pick: Atlanta 23 - Oakland13

Dallas (5-3) at New York Giants (6-1) 4:15pm: If the Giants defense was able to get to a pretty mobile Ben Roethlisberger five times what to you think their game plan will be for the highly immobile Brad Johnson?

The Pick: Giants 24 – Cowboys 13

Philadelphia (4-3) at Seattle (2-5) 4:15pm: A cross country flight against a poor opponent with a division foe on the schedule next week. All the makings of a trap game.

The Pick: Eagles 30 – Seahawks 17

New England (5-2) at Indianapolis (3-4) 8:15pm: Who thought that this game would be this important to the Colts. The Patriots begin a tough stretch of games with the Bills and Jets coming up.

The Pick: Colts 28 – Patriots 16

Monday November 3, 2008

Pittsburgh (5-2) at Washington (6-2) 8:30 pm: The Steelers are a decent road team the had a tough loss in Philly but won a close one in Jacksonville, while the ‘Skins lone loss at home came to the Rams.

The Pick: Redskins 24 - Steelers 21

Last Week 10-4, Season 56-44, Upset Specials 3-0

10 Responses to “Ron Glover’s NFL Predictions: Week 9”

1. Patrick says:

Raiders-Atlanta… This will be an interesting matchup between two young QBs, Jamarcus Russell and Matt Ryan.

Falcons are 1 and 3 on the road. And I have always said until Ryan is able to win against his own division (NFC South) and show he can win consistently on the road, he hasn’t arrived…yet

Jamarcus has a 76 QB rating, and Ryan has a 82 QB rating.

We may see the Raiders’ open the playbook at home for Jamarcus against the Falcons’ inconsistent pass defense.

Another sideshow is Roddy White vs. DeAngelo Hall (former Falcon)… We could see see gambling, undisciplined DeAngelo or a smarter, more disciplined DeAngelo…you never know which DeAngelo you are going to get..He could have a PICK 6 against Ryan who has been prone to throw red zone INTs…or let Roddy catch passes in front of him all day long..

This is a game that the Raiders MUST HAVE–especially at home. Falcons will push early with Michael Turner’s ability to get first downs, but the Raiders may outlast the Falcons and win on a Janokowski FG..

OAK 23 ATL 20

2. I’m not sure the Colts will win this game. Reggie Wayne has been banged up and hasn’t played well in a couple of weeks. And surprisingly, the Patriots are playing pretty good ball.

3. thebrotherreport says:

I’m reluctantly counting on the fact that the Colts may play some inspired ball with the return of Bob Sanders and Joseph Addai.

Guess who’s healthy in the backfield for the Raiders? The starter – Justin Fargas. I’m expecting BIG THINGS from him against the Dirty Birds. I don’t know if the Raiders can win, but the Raiders are running the ball no matter who they play. After last week’s game against Baltimore, this should be like a party in Van Nuys – gaping holes everywhere.

I like Cleveland to beat Baltimore. I think Baltimore is a superior team, but if there is a man alive who doesn’t give a shit about the Ravens defense (other than Hines Ward), it’s Jamal Lewis. If he can get past the line of scrimmage, it will be ON, like all of T.O.’s popcorn.

I like the gutsy Texans pick. I’ve liked this team, on paper, for two years. They seem to be getting a little flow now (Miami and Cincy – where’s my grain of salt). Still, Andre Johnson is the league’s top receiver right now, statistically.

I can’t tell you how much I hate the Jets. Always have, always will. From the ugly ass green uniforms to the fumbling, bumbling, stumbling operation they ran at Shea Stadium to the borrowed time operation they run out of Giants Stadium, nothing screams mediocrity like the New York-New Jersey Jets. Even Back Foot Brett can’t change that. Picks abound as Buffalo regroups and blows ‘em out.

100% agreement on the Detroit trap game thing. When is Daunte gonna get some game action? Are they going to sign him or keeping rolling the dice with Disco Dan Orlavsky?

I’m wondering how the Cardinals are going to cover Donnie Avery. If they don’t and Antonio Pittman gets some serious burn, the Rams could surprise by playing ball control and keeping Warner, Boldin and Larry Love off the field. I think that’s the only way they win. I say watch the 3rd down conversion rate early. If the Rams stay on the field and it’s low-scoring, they can win. First sign of a shootout, head for the hills.

I like Herm to get it going against his old squad. They’re running the same stuff as when he was there. Tyler Thigpen showed signs of life last week. If he throws for 250 and less than 2 picks, Chiefs win, Chiefs win, Chiefs win.

I don’t like Cincy, but if they’re going to win a game all season, this is it. The Jags are spinning. Fred Taylor has had two concussions. They’re not playing with confidence on offense or defense and they looked ragged. The Bengals are that bad, but this is the opening they’ve been missing all year long. The Carson Palmer door is closed. It’s now or never. I’ll roll the dice with the Bungles.

I’m with you on Miami over Denver.

I’m with Patrick. Go Raiders. (That’s my FFL talking – Fargas in the FLEX.)

I think the Giants may win much bigger than that over Dallas. If Jason Witten doesn’t play, the Giants DBs will just sit on T.O.’s head. Nothing over the top and it’s a wrap. Giants by 50 in the most humiliating, hair-raising loss in the history of the franchise. Wade Phillips gone by Tuesday. Jerry Jones comes down to coach, moves T.O. to QB and Romo gets moved to Wildcat Wide Receiver.

If the Seahawks score 17 points against the Eagles, I will personally walk to Philly and kick Jim Johnson’s ass.

The Colts-Patriots game is a pick ‘em game. The Colts say Addai and Bob Sanders are coming back, but Marlin Jackson is done for the year. Both of their starting corners are out. The Patriots really haven’t been impressive except for the defeat of the mangled Jake Cutler on Monday night. Yuck!!!

Now, why are you picking the Redskins? Because the games’ in DC? Sup wit that? Go Steelers!!!!!!!!

5. thebrotherreport says:

I’ve been watching Clinton Portis alot this season and I think he’s back to where he was before those nagging injuries slowed him down. Pittsburgh can win this game because the Skins don’t have much of a pass rush giving Ben time to throw. If the Steelers pull it out I wouldn’t be shocked and good for the Birds, hopefully.

If the Chiefs could stop the run I would’ve picked them

6. Eric Daniels says:

Sorry folks I have MIA art projects, work etc.. But between my Bucs losing and the Rays losing the World Series it was a down couple of days (congrats to the phillies they were the better team) but you Philly fans are front runners just like Jimmy Rollins said lolol. ( we still have your Stanley Cup and Super Bowl) anyhoo, I have to say the Bucs will win Sunday if they can get their deep passing game in order and part of the reason they can’t run the ball is their FB’s have been out and Earnest Graham has had to play FB as well as his regular TB postion so the running game has been grounded until we get our regular FB back.

It’s early, but I’m on my way to Vegas to cash in my chips for the Chiefs game and the Bengals game. Holla!!!!

Wow…the Raiders are EXTRA sorry.

Go Titans!! Still undefeated!!

Solid, workman-like victory for the Iggles today over the ‘Hawks to move to 5-3. I’ll take it. Bring on the Giants. Ain’t gonna be 12 sacks this year.

I stand by my pronouncement that Jeff Garcia is still the toughest competitor in the NFL today. That guy never gives up and any success he acheives he earns it. Kudos on another win.

If they slow Brandon Jacobs and keep Plex from making big ass third down catches they will win. Plex gives us that cold rock stuff every time. I fear him most.

Could Vince do a Doug Williams?