Mizzo’s NFL Top Five: Gotta Go With Indy

With all the wildness that allowed the Chargers and Eagles to crash the playoff party, one has to wonder who really has what it takes to see their season through and get that Lombardi Trophy confetti shine. Playoff predictions on Friday, but for now, here’s my top five.

1. Indianapolis Colts

Yeah I know this will raise eyebrows, but nine straight is nine straight regardless of who you’ve played. Forget all that Matt Ryan MVP talk because Peyton and Adrian Peterson are 1 and 1a in my opinion. Before the season, just mark the Colts down for 12-4. Right now the Colts are the most consistent team in football based on their season success. They still have Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning, so haters fall back.

2. Pittsburgh Steelers

I’m digging Mike Tomlin. If he and his staff can pay attention to detail the rest of the way, I don’t see anyone stopping the Steelers. Their defense is just too good and this is the time of year where defenses should be put on blast. Big Ben isn’t as muffed up as his little trip on the stretcher indicated, but even if he is out, Bryon Leftwich is most definitely a capable back up because he doesn’t throw the ball to the other team. Baltimore’s D is nice and Ed Reed is incredible, but I’ll take Blitzburgh’s linebacker corps over any time any place.

3. New York Giants

The Champs are an interesting study because they are so close knit. Plax is on the sideline and is dearly missed, but Tom Coughlin has managed to keep this team backstroking without worrying about all the sharks ready to munch. The Giants are not higher because of questions surrounding their running game. If Brandon Jacobs is healthy, watch the hell out. If not, they just aren’t the same team. Eli isn’t an offensive force to carry this squad by making nickle backs look silly. What he’s good at is making sure his coach’s philosophy is in place and running smoothly. I have to say that if the Giants do repeat, I’ll be shocked.

4. Carolina Panthers

DeAngelo Williams has 20 touchdowns. Twenty. He and Jonathan Stewart are murder on defenses. Similar to the Giants, it’s not just about talent. It’s about bruising defenses into submission on 4th quarter drives when cats ain’t trying to make tackles. Williams should receive MVP votes. Stewart will run over your vote and stomp on your face as he monsters into the end zone. If Jake doesn’t play catch with the other team, this team is at least going to the NFC Championship.

5. Philadelphia Eagles

All around, the Eagles are the most explosive team left but that really is immaterial. Yeah they can put up points in bunches and do the same on defense, but do they have the cajones to show and prove to the world they have what it do in the fourth quarter? Miami could be in this spot and so could Baltimore or the Titans but until the Eagles go out and stink up the place, they belong right here.

22 Responses to “Mizzo’s NFL Top Five: Gotta Go With Indy”

1. sankofa says:

Hmmm, Miz…Eagle bias?

I have no idea.

Eagle bias? No, not Mizz….couldn’t be. :-)

Indy still can’t stop the run…..that’s their achilles heel. Their offensive line is suspect due to Jeff Saturday being dinged up. Their receivers are still afraid of getting hit, so i cram to understand why teams don’t play “physical” football against them more often. If San Diego follow the script from last year, Indy will be one and done. However, if they try to beat them with trickery and by being finesse, the Colts will route them and play the Titans in the next round.

I think it was Origin who said that we could have an all “Manning Superbowl”. It would not surprise me at all if it did happen. I would be mad as hell, but not surprised. I wouldn’t even watch that SuperBowl. I’d be playing Madden 09.

Yes it was Origin.

The only reason I have the Eagles high is because I’ve covered the team. Access to me is a pretty good denominator of critically judging talent.

But they are definitely hit or miss.

With that being said, ask me about the Sixers ;)

Westbrook has had a pretty healthy week and Reid finally using Buck against Dallas is telling. Triple 5 Soul is playing with a chip on his shoulder. Dawkins is knocking ……. out and putting it all on the line. Fate has given them a pretty good matchup in the first round as well. Williams is gonna try to play with a cracked shoulder but how effective will he be in the pass rush or stuffing the run.

Eagles are best when their backs are against the wall and judging by how the media is heavily scrutinizing Donovan on how he answered my legacy and media questions after the Dallas game shows me he’s as focused as he has been his entire career here.

We’ll see if the ranking is true Sunday. You can read my recap on urbannewswire.net.

As far as Indy is concerned, read the Terrell Suggs interview. I think they frustrate physical teams like Baltimore with all their trickery at the line of scrimmage.

For a reference point, dig how the Fab Five couldn’t get past teams like Indiana, Duke and Carolina even though the talent was lopsided in their favor.

Miz

Why da hell you had to put the Eagles that high? You did that right before the Washington game and look what happened. Look what happened.

LOL!!!

Seriously, I’m not taking any team lightly in the tournament this year even ATL or ARI because all teams have just as many holes as they have talent that can cover those holes. As an Eagles fan, I want the Silver and Green to be right there at the end but I’m going to be quiet and humble and let them do what they have to do this weekend. Knock on wood they still have some of that mojo from this past Sunday left to lay on the Vikes.

I wrote on the board that it would help this team to be on the road for the playoffs because at least they’ll expect the boos in opposing stadiums rather than the FINO’s (Fans In Name Only) in Philly who just wait to boo as soon as cheer. Being away from the Linc will remind the team who the real opposition is and keep them focused on the job at hand.

These guys are professional but being booed by the home fans is no fun as #5 will attest.

Man I feel you…

Just talking to Donovan on and off the record, he will be on point.

No jinx LOL

Good post brotha Mizzo.

Yo could you give me a low down on Mcnabb’s answers to your legacy and media questions. I didn’t catch the press conference.

Sad to say guys but it was me that said that it could be a manning superbowl….yuck!!!

I rather eat uncleaned chitlins then watch that mess.

Anyway please Andy Reid please I beg of you don’t start passing the ball 50 times now that the eagles are in the playoffs……….balance please balance.

Also the Colts don’t stop the run but they are very low in rushing attempts. Not sure if the chargers can beat them since they have no pass rush.

Origin,
    Who forgot to tell the Jets lockerroom they aren’t supposed to bash the great All-American Farve??LMAO!!

What how dare they say anything about the great american hero Brett Farve.

Thomas Jones better watch his back now. ESPN will be in full hunt now that Thomas Jones called out the great hope Farve.

Jones better not mess up and short a waitress or stripper when it comes to tipping. He better pay all his bills on time because ESPN will find out and put him on full blast.

You mess with the great golden boy……….you gots to pay. Plan and simple.

LOL!!! But Origin, “sources say” (those good ole source brothers!) that Cowher did NOOOOOOOTTTTT wanna have a damn thing to do with a team QB’d by the great Gunslinger!! LMAO!!! Bill Cowher alledgedly said HELL TO THE NAW because o the great one! LOL!! This is hilarious! Jets players and front office personnel coming out from ERE WHERE to talk about the great one! What will ESPN do now??

Hmmmm….so Dan Reeves wants to come back?? Sure would be some freaky karma if he did and the last QB he drafted ended up being the starter for’em:

14. Patrick says:

Thomas Jones stepped up and called Brett out. ‘Letting Brett be Brett’ isn’t necessarily a good thing. Sometimes Brett has to be (needs to be) a better game manager, and maybe there was a power struggle between Mangini and Favre and Brett ended up doing what he wanted, and the resulted is a sluggish finish and no playoffs.

Jones didn’t have the chemistry that Pennington apparently has in Miami , and in the end that’s where the Jets probably fell apart.

Favre is a veteran, but sometimes it isn’t a good thing for the ball to be in hands MOST of the time. The gunslinger, reckless side of Brett comes out and once that Pandora box is opened, it is hard to close…. I don’t know what kind of relationship that Brett had with Julius Jones, but I tend to agree with Julius’ analysis of the situation in New York.

15. Patrick says:

….”I think it was Origin who said that we could have an all “Manning Superbowl”. It would not surprise me at all if it did happen. I would be mad as hell, but not surprised….”

I hope that doesn’t happen.

Eli is more tolerable than Peyton, but I wouldn’t like to see an ALL MANNING SUPERBOWL..I might just boycott the game….LOL

San Diego has a chance to beat Indy. Heck, most teams have a chance to beat Indy. However, against Indy you must be able to RUN THE BALL and RUSH THE PASSER. Pressure Peyton, and have an effective running game that wears down the Colts’ defense–especially late in games.

Yeah Mizz…..Joey Porter called Indy out on this back in 2005. It’s like teams try to play Indy’s style instead of sticking to their particular style. The Steelers and perhaps the Ravens are the only teams that i’ve seen that stick to the script. Regardless of the fact, Indy does not like to play physical football and that’s how you can beat them.

I agree Patrick….you must be able to pressure Peyton. San Diego doesn’t have that pass rush they had last year w/ Merriman injured, so it’s gonna be tough for them to get that pressure.

Miranda please don’t let that thought enter my head ;)

18. Dredded One says:

As usual, I don’t like your top 5 Mizzo. My prediction is a Carolina/Baltimore Super Bowl. Carolina is hot right when it counts, have a really good secondary, and have a dangerous tag team in the back field. Ravens are a very balanced team and their special teams unit is quit under-rated. Baltimore can get past Indy because Indy can’t defend the run. B-more get the ball, scores a couple of times, and eats up the clock it might be a wrap. Tenn and Pitt will cannibalize each other one way or another; Roslesberger is playing hurt, Collins is playing beyond himself.

Peyton wins his 3rd MVP…….

Dredded One:

Just a point of information…If the Ravens beat the Dolphins, they’ll have to cannibalize the Titans ALL BY THEMSELVES. They won’t be able to rely on the Steelers. The Ravens road to the SB goes through Tennessee. The only way they play Indy is if the Colts beat SD and Pitt on the road.

As I said up top — I have no idea.

Somewhere the Chargers are sitting back thinking:

“Damn, we’re some overlooked bastards. I mean, I know we haven’t won the Super Bowl, but damn. We were robbed by the refs and the Broncos in the beginning of the season. We played 2 of the toughest divisions in football this year – the NFC South and the AFC East. Don’t ANY of you people remember when we were healthy and BLEW OUT the Jets and Patriots? ANYBODY?

We have the top-rated passer in the entire league and he’s not going to the Pro Bowl. We won out down the stretch after losing our best defensive player, criss-crossing three times, going all the damn way to LONDON to play the Saints, and playing with an injured LT and AG all year…and still no respect.

Here come the Colts. Didn’t we beat them in their house last year? Still no respect. We’ve just our legs from that Trans Atlantic trip…Just you wait and see. The Colts. Hmmphh!! No respect.”

22. Dredded One says:

Thanks T3! I was misinformed.