When Are The Eagles Gonna Win One For Don?

I’m writing this as a fan…

I wasn’t going to write anything about the Eagles but I just gotta get this out of my system. This loss falls on the entire team. Donovan didn’t make all his throws, receivers ran crazy patterns and dropped passes, the rocket screen neutralized Jimmy Johnson’s aggressiveness and two big missed kicks–one an extra point. When’s the last time you’ve seen a missed extra point in the NFL?

I had the same feeling yesterday as I did after the 1998 Minnesota Vikings lost to the Atlanta Falcons in the NFC Championship. I couldn’t watch Denver beat the Jets. I was disgusted, sad, mad, depressed..the whole gambit. I’m happy for the Cardinals and also the Steelers. Mike Tomlin is that dude.

The credit goes to the Cardinals and their coaching staff. They used the eight days of preparation and mapped out a game plan against one of the hottest teams in the league and took it to them.

Damn right I feel bad for Donovan. He didn’t have his best game, but he played well enough to win.

But again, big time receivers show up in big games and at big times. Regardless what you may think about the token pass interference non call, Kevin Curtis has to make that catch. You are not getting that call on the road.

Kurt Warner is now a god in the NFL and once again Donovan McNabb will not get the respect he deserves despite his class under intense media scrutiny.

Philadelphia fans and media will see this season as a wash even though this team has been in the NFC Championship game 5 out of the last 8 years.

Do not mess with this team. Why would you want to start all over when you have a team that wins? No, they haven’t won the big one, but very few have.

Go out and get Donovan McNabb a number one receiver. It’s as simple as that. Joe Banner, just try it and see what happens.

As Temple3 told me this morning, the only guy you could compare McNabb to is John Elway.

Elway didn’t win until Terrell Davis came along. Maybe the answer is in the running game. I have no answers but throwing deep to Greg Lewis does not excite me. I want a guy here who sleeps with glue on his hands.

I’m not giving up on this team. I just can’t do it, but maybe Andy needs to step away. He has a lot to take care of personally. I’m not one to criticize the man for what’s going on in his life but as a Father there are things you need to take care of at home.

Ashley Fox wrote an excellent piece a couple of weeks back regarding Reid’s health and it’s really beginning to make a lot more sense now.

I like Andy Reid as a coach. Yeah he has his shortcomings but to pull the trigger on Donovan McNabb over Ricky “sticky icky icky” Williams gains a lot of respect from me.

Now help the brotha out because the question must be asked…

When are they gonna win one for Don?

36 Responses to “When Are The Eagles Gonna Win One For Don?”

Amen Mizzo:

I feel your pain.

Just a couple of things to put some numbers behind your feelings.

47 passes attempts, 18 runs (2 by McNabb). That’s not balance. That’s not the formula that led the Eagles into the playoffs. That’s the formula that led to the tie at Cincy.

McNabb threw for 375 and ran for 31. He had 1 pick which DeSean Jackson summarily returned to the team — and one fumble when his normally reliable left tackle blocked down to double instead of out. Not the QB’s fault. Other than that, it comes down to missed throws.

He just didn’t miss enough throws to cause the team to lose. 59.6% — that was the average yesterday. That’s his career playoff average. It’s basically 60 percent. Given the number of deep shots and the drops, its not bad — but not stellar. Still, if your QB puts up 400 yards on the road with only 1 turnover, you’re supposed to win.

Unless your D gives up 32 — and your kicker surrenders points and field position.

Tom Brady has never thrown for 375 yards in the postseason in his life. When he’s made a ton of throws, the Patriots held down the opposing offense.

Manning has hit that number — and the last time he did — HE LOST to the Chargers AT HOME.

Steve Young hasn’t. In fact, he never won a single playoff game in which he threw more than 36 passes.

Dan Marino was 0-4 in games he threw 45+ passes.

Joe Montana? 0-2. How about in games where his opponent scored 30 points? 0-3.

Bottom line — and no matter how you want to cut this — yesterday, McNabb’s effort to pull the Eagles back from the dead in Phoenix was Herculean. Had he won, he would have been nearly alone in his success.

Unless the fans of Philadelphia intend to clear locker space for Frank Reich, I think they need to look elsewhere in placing blame. You are 100% correct. It was a team loss.

Why were the Eagles’ players celebrating that hard with the Cards’ yesterday? Tough game, I know, and nothing wrong with being gracious in defeat but that was a little much.

T3

It’s a song on a continuous loop but I don’t know what burns me up more: that the Eagles lost or that the loss is being spun as McNabb’s fault. Twenty-five points with a 60% completion percentage should be enough to win a game especially with a defense that was supposed to be the strength of the team. McNabb will not only be appreciated in Philly but around the NFL as well. The only one of the QB’s on your list who didn’t have a stellar supporting cast was Dan Marino and he’s considered a god in the NFL.

The naked point is that you win as a team and you lose as a team. McNabb will never throw a teammate under the bus because he’s a stand up guy who will never satisfy his critics even if he wins a title. The constant refrain is that the Eagles win in spite of him and when they lose it’s all because of him. It gets old and stale.

Marino didn’t have a stellar supporting cast?

Mark Clayton
    Mark Duper

The QBs who’ve had better 1-2 receivers than these guys can be named on 1 hand. Given the rules changes that have occurred since then, I’d say Ken Stabler, Dan Fouts, Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, Kurt Warner (then and now) and Terry Bradshaw had it better, or at least as good. I suppose there are others, but Clayton and Duper were excellent.

If the Eagles had those two, they’d win by 2 or 3 TDs every week.

5. origin says:

Well let me put in my rant guys. Please bare with me because you now Mcnabb and black QBs are a topic where I get frustrated with whne it concerns the NFL.

First of all I am glad Temple and Harvey made those points about the passing yards, defense and media’s hating @ss.

Did Mcnabb make some bad passes? yes. But to make it seem as though all of his passes were bad is a joke.

The two biggest passes that idiots….(I AM Talking to you AIKMAN and the rest of you fools out there) were complaining about were the 2 bad passes to basket and the pass to lewis.

Yet they fail to realize that in the 2 passes to basket Mcnabb was getting a blitz up the middle. The first pass to basket Mcnabb wasn’t able to step in the throw so he did a quick pass and actually ducked to avoid getting smashed as he was releasing the ball. Even if he stepped into the pass he would have gotten creamed and the pass would have been short.

The second pass to Baskett the blitz came through and Mcnabb rushed the pass and threw it behind basket as he was being hit.

The pass to lewis was a roll out and Mcnabb rolled right and threw back left about 40 yards. That is a hard and darn near impossible throw. Did he throw to the WRs outside shoulder?? Yes. But it wasn’t like it was a routine throw. It still was a hell of a pass.

Mizzo this man threw 40+ times in every playoff game this year. His scat back was a hurt and Mcnabb had been basically carrying the team on his back the whole season. I am amazed that he didn’t get killed this year with all the throws.

As I was pointing out to Dwil how it was incredible that he was even able to bring them back. His WRs are unable to get seperation did and he was still able to throw passes in tight coverage.

Compared to Warner’s WRs who could not be contained and were man handling the eagles corners.

Randall had it for a hot minute with Moss and Carter — and all he did was torch the record books.

7. origin says:

True temple those guys were great.

Heck Marino even had keith Jackson and Irving Fryar in his later years.

I remember one year Miami went on a spending spree just to get Marino some talent.

8. origin says:

True Temple.

D@mn I love Denny Green. He always made sure his QBs had talent.

Hell look at the talent on offense he got the cardinals.

9. origin says:

So what do you say Temple and Harvey…does Mcnabb force his way out???

The rumors are still flying around that he is trying to force their hand. Either get me more talent or i’m gone type of thing.

Remember a 32 or 33 year old Elway did the same thing.

I think McNabb is stubborn and actually wants to win a title in Philly just to rub it in his detractors’ faces. That being said, everyone has a limit and he may be reaching his as the end of his career comes into focus in another four or five years which is why he’ll hold the Eagles’ organization over a barrel this off-season to either force a trade for more talent or out of there to a team with the pieces he’ll need to flourish because the fun has been had for him and it’s time to get a title be it in Philly or elsewhere.

That being said, the Eagles will get him some help. Don’t be surprised to see Boldin or Ocho Cinco in Philly next season via trade and a move up in the draft to get Knowshon Moreno for the running game. The Eagles make moves despite what the consensus says but it’s time to truly address what this team and it’s HOF QB needs to be the last one standing in February.

*********************************
    T3,

No slight to Clayton and Duper but I never saw them as great receivers. Damn good, yeah, but never great. I’ll do some research on their respective careers but I give Marino all the credit in the world for always keeping the Dolphins competitive even after he blew out his Achilles.

People will say I’m a McNabb homer but like I told my co-workers who are Giants’ fans that there were few QB’s who would have led their teams back like McNabb did yesterday. Big Ben, Drew Brees, and maybe Tom Brady with Big Ben probably being able to do it with McNabb’s cast of characters. McNabb is the muthaf**** man, plain and simple, but no individual wins a team championship by himself. A star is needed to play alongside McNabb and if, that word again, the Eagles had had the balls to pull the trigger on the Tony Gonzales trade, they’d probably be playing Pittsburgh in two weeks because the Cards’ D would not have been able to gameplan for him, Westbrook, and Desean Jackson. Just sayin’ is all.

Origin:

The parallels to Elway’s career are several. I think that saved the day for Elway was that power runner eliminated the need for him to run for his life or cover up dropped passes by that fleet of no-names (Vance “Nice Hair” Johnson, Ricky Nattiel, Mark Jackson, etc).

The first phase of Elway’s career was just like McNabb’s. Scatbacks, smurf receivers, and devastating losses in big games — and a reputation as the source of the problem. The second phase of his career, Denver put the right pieces around him. It wasn’t until they added receivers who knew their way around the weight room — and who believed in the power of downfield blocking that they got over. TD always had help from Rod Smith and McCaffrey.

Eagle fans should take heart. Elway didn’t throw for 4000 yards until he was an “old man.” He didn’t win the big one until he was even older. The thing is — you might need more than one “Boldin-type” now. You may need 2.

Please go look at their highlight reels….please.

Better yet — call a Jets, Patriots or Bills fan with a little gray hair and a decent memory.

Knowshon Moreno is listed as 5’11” and 207. That means he’s smaller than that. That’s all well and good, but the Eagles don’t need that. The Eagles need a Beanie Wells with shake. I don’t know who that is — it might be Wells, but y’all don’t need no more light in the ass runners that cannot move the pile on 3rd and short. Pass on Moreno and save yourself some heartache.

I’m 38 soon to be 39 and I lived in south GA where the only TV station was an NBC affiliate so I remember Super Duper and Clayton. Like I said I’ll research the two and youtube their exploits to jog my memory.

Beanie Wells would be a good choice. Almost 6’2″ at 240 lbs with some speed. Because of his injuries this past season he may fall to them. Hopefully, the Eagles don’t get a back in FA because young, hungry, uninjured ones are available in the draft.

Mark Clayton

Career 158 142 582 8974 15.4 84 78 3.7 56.8 14 108 0 30 7.7 0.7 0.1 9082 84 11

Mark Duper

Career 146 136 511 8869 17.4 59 85 3.5 60.7 1 -10 0 0 -10.0 -0.1 0.0 8859 59 4

5 pro bowls for Clayton/ 3 for Duper

18. MODI says:

nice post miz, nice stats T3 — especially the Montana nugget

— McNabb’s bomb over the left shoulder was actually a great pass and was in a place where it could not be intercepted. That pass would have been caught by Fitzgerald and a host of receivers.

— HD, Clayton had a six year stretch that was elite level and if he were able to sustain it a few more years, he would be a sure-fire HOFer. And for four years Clayton and Duper were a good a tandem as anybody. Duper could not go over the middle as well as Clayton but was a great deep threat and could extend the field. Unlike today’s receivers both receivers had great yardage per catch. They did not have great longevity because they were both very small (5’9″) and did get beat up quite a bit. When they lost a step, the consequences were worse than a receiver who was 6’2″ +

— — Ocho Cinco is probably VERY obtainable. His stats last year are about as meaningful as Randy moss’s stats in his last year with the Raiders. The Eagles should obtain him

- Great stuff T3 (as usual)…

– I gotta agree w/ MODI….the pass over the left shoulder was a great pass.

@2Face

– Clayton and Duper were perhaps the 2nd best WR tandem during the 80s, behind Rice & Taylor. The Dolphins also had Nat Moore, who was an excellent TE. Marino was surrounded with the weapons to throw to but he never had a RB to run the ball. In short, teams never feared the Dolphins running game.

I still hold by my comments in an earlier thread that McNabb needs to bounce while he’s still an elite QB. The Philly fans and media don’t appreciate him and neither does the Eagle organization. Take a page from KG and look out for yourself because the Eagles haven’t looked out for you in your 10 years there.

I think that Andy Reid is a big part of the Eagles’ problems as well. His ‘Mike Martz’ type playcalling just will not get it done. Either call a balanced game or get yourself a legitimate OC who can. As long as Reid is in Philly calling the plays, they won’t win.

GN, just so you know. There is a poser using your moniker that I deleted in moderation.

You must be the man bruh ;)

mizz,

Someone posing as me? Are you serious? :-)

Yeah mang…

I scrutinize every comment more closely now, so very few of these trolls will get through.

I don’t mind those with a dissenting view but the other cats gotta be peace.

Ok, thanks bruh. Good lookin’ out.

GN:

Nat Moore was a WR (maybe a typo?). Remember the highlight of the receiver spinning like a top in the air?? That’s Nat Moore (I think.) There were several TEs during Marino’s tenure with Miami: Bruce Hardy, Dan Johnson, Joe Rose, Jim Jensen (H-back-ish), 2 Time Pro Bowler Ferrell Edmunds, and of course, Keith Jackson.

Diggin’ in the crates, I remembered the Eagles also brought in Antonio Freeman for a minute to try to get over hump.

Gotta get an elite guy in his prime. OC is coming off an injury. I remember just before the season guys were saying he could run, but wouldn’t be able to lift one arm to control the ball — that he’d essentially have to catch everything with one hand — and obviously if he was hit on passes thrown in traffic, he’d be unlikely to hang on. This guy played almost all year long.

1 game of more than 5 catches. 1 game over 60 receiving yards. Brutal season.

If he’s healthy, it’ll be amazing. If not — look out.

T3,

Yeah, it was a typo. Good catch. :-)

That would be bizarre. The Ravens would fall faster than the dollar — and Owens would probably want a trade after getting kicked off the Alpha Dog perch. Interesting.

LOL…..good one. :-)

Baltimore needs to make sure that Ray Lewis retires as a Raven. That’s hard to do these days. Guys always seem to have a little bit more in the tank. Look at Joey Porter. Whew!!

Zach Thomas wound up in Dallas. Maybe Jerry will try to get Junior Seau and they can have The G-Unit (Geriatric Unit) at LB.

30. origin says:

Yeah Temple I saw that lawn stuff yesterday.

31. origin says:

Hey Mizzo, Temple and Miranda. They have Terrence Moore on NBA TV talking about Obama.

I thought his butt couldn’t get a gig after ESPN dropped him like a 2 dollar trick after they pimped him during the Vick case.

Anyway time for me to turn….Moore gonna mess up a good day for me after seeing Obama get sworn in.

32. Matthew Fudge says:

“When are they gonna win one for Don?”

Miz, that’s like a regular 9-5 cat asking, “When are these fools gonna recognize what I bring to the table and give me the raise and/or promotion I deserve?” What Donovan needs to do is what’s best for Donovan. Quit being a good soldier and do you. The Eagles won’t ever act in his best interest as long as they’re in the black. Bounce, dude.