The Death of History: 43 Years Without Malcolm X

The following was originally posted on February 22, 2008–43 years, one day after Malcolm’s death.

Today would have been his 83rd birthday.

Reminisce with bliss of what a day this could have been…

malcolmmuhammad.jpg

I’ve never seen this before. Notice how proud Ali was taking this pic

Slept on the anniversary of the death of Malcolm X yesterday. My bad. Here’s a compilation of speeches during those fiery times. Goodness I wish I was there. Would be honored to meet Malcolm and bring back a well needed sense of urgency. His was the spirit of unapologetic passionate knowledge and wisdom cultivated through hellish personal experience and an unabated hunger to see his people through.

82 Responses to “The Death of History: 43 Years Without Malcolm X”

RG

I feel you about being in that certain place when all points of your journey come together and everything melds. Athletes call it being in the zone but when it comes to someone like Malcolm I’ll just say he truly found his way and had reached his highest point of evolution in his life. That’s why he was able to fearlessly and tirelessly fight because he knew he was on the right path. The same with Martin on April 3, 1968 when he spoke of wanting to live a long life but he was not afraid because he was more concerned with his people, people of righteousness and consciousness not just Black people, getting their due than he was with his own comforts. Same as Malcolm and the same as other true visionaries.

Malcolm, Martin, and all the other heroes and sheroes are/were not saints but the better angels of their nature overcame their own demons. When one lives in the light like that then truly they are doing Allah/Jah/Yahweh/God’s work.

2. thebrotherreport says:

“I’ll just say he truly found his way and had reached his highest point of evolution in his life.”

That’s it right there.

We can’t let that happen.

That’s all I was saying up top. “We can’t let that happen.” The defense of the ancestors is a sacred duty that falls to the living. Once you “know” there is no excuse. You were right to shut the door.

I just did a sick hour interview with Buzz Bissinger that will be posted on Monday. If I have the time, I’ll get it up tomorrow, but I doubt it.

5. taja says:

i know that this is not really him but if it is can i pkease have a real respons

6. Hasan says:

Zafer mutlaka ?slam?n Olacakt?r. ?nnedine ?ndallahi ?slam

7. latoya says:

davidmac,
    ok im only 18 yrs old nd i dnt really care how old u r but i all i have to say is if i dislike malcom x nd wat he beleived in then y the hell r u on this site if u dislike him so much nd dissagree with hus beleifes as much as u so calld dsy then y dnt u leave this website to people that have sumthing positive to say on wat malcom x did nd really u dnt seem to b that smart all u r is a hypocrite….so get a life nd grow up….

8. Justin Walsh says:

I loved his Oxford Union speech. Actually, I love most of his speeches. For a good portion of his life he was very anti-white & I completely agree with the reasons why. When he later changed heart after visiting Mecca I again respected his views and change of heart. I was never alive during his time, but he, along with Cornel West are my favorite american philosophers. Not “black” philosophers, not “african american” philosophers. All of America. Malcolm, may your words never die- you were and still are one of the largest influences in the way we try to understand the great divide of cultural difference. I strive to get to a point philosophically where I can say that you would respect my being at any stage of your mental progression, whether it be your troubled youth, your NOI days, or your last days. Much love Malcolm, much love.

9. Justin Walsh says:

and for the record, I’m white. I only bring this up because anybody reading this probably wonders what opinions belong to which ethnicity. I know that’s totally screwed up to say, but realistically, people who don’t really care about the world will just push my words aside and say I must be a black guy pushing a “radical” on people. Screw that, Malcolm X was a visionary.

10. JDubb says:

Work in Europe has kept me away from my intake of this blog;however, This recent post has me a little baffled. I always though everyone here understood that beneath it all we may not like your views but we won’t silence you over your views just because they don’t agree with your own.

DMac, let’s face it..many do not like the cat because they hate his views or because he never seems to join the collective(thoughts) here.

He has his right to his views,….attack his views, not the person. Peeps going off because he dared to utter something bad about Malcolm. DMac is his view is right. Although Malcolm in his final year(years) changed his ways….,He was just about hate as much as Bull Connor.

Malcolm in the earlier years talked about Black Pride yes,, but he wanted Black America to their were better because they were Black…No different than the conscience of white America…They thought they were better because they were White…what is that…Hate,….Hating something to make yourself seem better. Malcolm taught hate.. in the beginning and all the ruckus, all the wax poetic sentiment will not change it.. however he began to change…

So is DMac right or wrong, Do we now just ban anyone that dares speaks out against anyone the collective deems untouchable….I come to the site because you bring the realness and you all overall allow honest debate .

But yall calling for DMac head because he does not go with the flow of this blog..Attack his views, but banning him proves him right, proves what he said about this blog so many times before..this blog aint about realness, aint about honest ; its about everyone being on the same page all the time

11. Burundi says:

What totally asinine tripe, JDubb, which I’ll get to later…

The The crazy thing about this space (the Internet, cyberspace, the Web, etc.) is that it reaffirms what a poor substitute it is for ” the spoken relationship of a people (Russell Means, “Fighting Words: For the World to Live, Europe Must Die!”).

I say the aforementioned as I was reflecting on all the really cool-ass house parties to which T3 turned me on to in NYC.

No blog has been a sufficient substitute.

JDubb: dude in question was so out-of-pocket that everyone knows that he wouldn’t have been disrespectful were we in a house party. His views weren’t the issue.

T3 knows me. Dude would be in trouble were he in a house party and, I’d dare say that he would be too much of a coward to go there. Words are the only thing folk up in hear measure.

One can utter views but to do so with unbridled disrespect—that’s another thing.

For me, it’s not the defamation of Brotha Malcolm X, but rather you disrespecting MY RIGHT to venerate him as well as other ancestors whom I hold near and dear to my heart.

I’m sorry, but the views bookended by insults are fighting words.

12. Burundi says:

Oops, I meant: words AREN’T the only thing folk measure up in here.

13. Burundi says:

Please substitute “get-together or gathering” for house party. Thanks!

Brother Burundi — that’s just chum in the water. Sharks need to move on.

15. Burundi says:

JDUBB – I doubt if anyone up in here is buying the notion that you don’t understand this. Feigning ignorance ain’t cool at all.

16. Thank you, Mizzo.

Let me just say that Malcolm X is one of my heroes. He is my favorite person of the twentieth century. I love him like I love my family. And I’m not Black.

It may seem odd, but as important as Malcolm’s work in the civil rights movement was, that’s not the main reason I love him like a father. The main reason is that he has so much integrity… The way that integrity manifests itself is this: If you read his life, you’ll see that Brother Malcolm repeatedly invested so much of himself into an idea or a way of thinking, he would do everything to defend his beliefs, and then… he would discover that he was wrong! Can you imagine how demoralizing that is? To discover that an ideal that you have put everything into is false? So many would just bargain with themselves and continue down the same road. And yet Malcolm, beautiful Malcolm, when faced with that dilemma, would simply discard that idea. It must have been tough, but Brother Malcolm would have it no other way… because you see, the man loved Truth. He loved Truth above all else. He lived for Truth and he died for Truth. And he was as passionate as anyone I’ve ever seen when he defended it. He was truly selfless. He had no ego.

And so, as a fellow Muslim, when I imagine heaven, I see myself face-to-face with a smiling Malcolm, and the thought makes me happy.

P.S.
    Don’t let ignorance-spewing people like DavidMac or whatever his name is upset you; the sun can’t be covered with a net.

17. By the way, the Black community obviously has the right to claim Malcolm as their own, but he is not exclusively yours. Malcolm is too grand to be claimed by one people. Muslims claim him too, but he’s not ours either. Malcolm is a part of the brotherhood/sisterhood of humanity as a whole.

18. JDubb says:

No one if feigning ignorance at all, the point is this. this site is suppose to be different that all those other blog sites. Those sites are the one who I liken to a mob mentality. Who will mob up on those who “disrespect” or agree with your viewpoint.
    No one is going to see Malcolm in the same light as it seems many of you do. That’s fine, but don’t attack , man debate, argue, show points of view with a little tact and civility than the other .I read DMAC post again. Beside the way it was said, was there anything untrue about it.

19. JDubb,

So if on the anniversary of Sept. 11, I decide to come on and say something like “Al Qaeda is only responding to American terror”, which is “true”, by the way, then I assume you would say that nobody should “mob up” on me, right?

Of course, in this fictional scenario, people SHOULD “mob up” on me, because regardless of how f*cked up American policy is, nothing justifies thousands of dead civilians, so, in that case, I should just shut the hell up or, better yet, pay my respects.

By the same token, I have no objection to someone opposing an idea that Malcolm promoted. You have the right to disagree with Malcolm. You DON’T, however, have the right to call a great man names, to call his family “pathetic” and to trivialize the man’s entire existence.

And as for me, I really don’t let what someone like DavidMac says affect me, because it’s not true. All of what DavidMac said merely reflects the ignorance of the speaker, nothing more.

20. One of the most difficult things to do is to clarify something which is already clear.

J Dubb…no disrespect…but your initial words in this post are profound:

Work in Europe has kept me away from my intake of this blog

I was very patient with DMac.

I don’t mind dissent but dude crossed the line so many times I had to ban him. I lost some of my best readers because I didn’t pull the switch earlier. You have no idea.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

22. JDubb says:

@Tariq
    Nahh…I would not tell anyone to mob up on you because everyone has a right to express their views no matter how f$$$kd up they are.
    What I came to love about this blog is that peeps usually don’t sink down to the level of ignorance that they are accusing someone of having. I should have worded things a lil different.. I read this blog everyday but I never get a chance to engage with everyone here or comment.

if the dude is ignorant then by all means correct em, but do that shyt with some tact and class.. I am not saying you dont have class or anything
    but those sinking down to his level calling the dude Nigger and sh6t is not cool.
    How do I explain to my European friends that the word Nigger should not be used but I got peeps on here who instead of using a little class sink to calling him that.

I have a lot German, Turkish,CZech friends who read this blog as well but are to shy or to afraid of their language skills to comment
    but they ask me why this or why that.

How do we break the image that peeps have of us over here , that black people are not more than crabs in a bucket or when push come to shove we
    lack class, we lack the intelligence to debate and express our views.

I have witness yall shut DMAC down before with intelligence and tact without reverting to fu^kng name calling.

instead of allowing the person who opposing your views to stay, you ban him…what does that prove.

So what if the minority does not agree that Malcolm should be held in some high regard…so? lay your facts why he should. combat ignorance with facts and back that sh6t up.

That’s my beef.

It’s your blog man…You have to do what you have to do

J Dubb, dude was talking about shooting people in previous threads. I can’t have that. What you see here is nothing compared to previous incidents. Many people oppose TSF’s “view”, but do so with class when they comment. You should see some of the emails I receive.

24. Burundi says:

JDUBB – Yeah, you’re feigning ignorance and pretending that folk up in here don’t have a right to decorum and decency.

As I was reading this entire thread, I stopped reading that reprobate’s words at his very first act of name-calling. Philosophy 201 educates us that such acts are called “ad hominem” attacks—with the keyword being attack; not debate, or polemic or a discussion—but, rather, an attack. There are rules (as in Robert’s ) and in this medium it is simply the job of the moderator to eliminate attacks.

If dude wouldn’t say it to someone’s face in an intimate setting, why should we dignify it up in here when folk come here for the eloquent words of many, such as Tariq’s?

T3 – You’re right. It still boggles my mind that it even bears discussing. Chum and sharks, indeed.

25. Thanks, Burundi. I have to agree with you: I AM eloquent…dang!

26. Burundi says:

Jokes are good, as levity lifts the spirit, as well. On the really-real, though, the way you characterized brother Malcolm’s passion for the truth made the earlier foolishness seem a very distant memory. Thanks for making it plain.

Great man. I wished I could have known him.

28. pomleo says:

I just finished his autobiography as told ot Alex Haley. I may not agree with everything he said or believed in (religion wise) but I have a deep and tremendouse respect for him. He was a strong man with such deep faith and conviction to stand for what he believed in. I also have a new found appreciation for the racism in this country that exists against not only blacks but all minorities. At the end of the biography the black actor writes a passage saying that although he to did not agree with Malcom on many things, that Malcom was a man and he taught others how to be men. I dont believe the civil rights movement would have been the same without him notwithstanding the efforts of others such as Dr. King etc.

29. White boy says:

Muslims and Niggers are worthless. What have they ever invented or helped society?

30. [...] you want to be there when Malcolm converted or with Martin as he gave the Mountaintop speech? JFK before Elm Street or Abraham before [...]

31. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Eddie Maisonet, III and Michael Tillery, c.duke. c.duke said: "The Death of History: 43 Years Without Malcolm X | The Starting Five" – http://bit.ly/aj8YCS via @michaeltillery [...]