The Monday Morning Starting Five: 2*23*09

Have a good weekend? That’s whassup. Skip Bayless’ interview will be posted tomorrow. It’s been one of the more challenging convos to transcribe, but the content is peace.

Dirty cop put away your g’damn nightstick (NYOIL.com)

It ain’t just about hold ‘em. Blackjack addiction on the rise (Miami Herald)

Flash goes for 50, still gets blown out (Orlando Sentinel)

Where are the revolutionaries? Right here (In These Times) Thanks Josh

The Concerned Minds of Feminine Minority Consciousness + a Brotha (The Sable Verity)

One More: The discovery of the mythical island of Atlantis off the coast of Africa? Word? (After Dawn)

I lied: Could Marvin Harrison run routes for his college quarterback back home in Philly? (NFL.com)

15 Responses to “The Monday Morning Starting Five: 2*23*09”

I would love to see Marvin Harrison in Philly, but he may not be THE answer. He’s part of a solution, but I don’t know if he puts them over the top. Does he have enough left in the tank after 13 years? I know he’s never been hit, but 13 years is still a long time.

The interesting thing about the Blackjack addiction article is that it demonstrates that our brains are hard wired for certain things. After all these years, you’d think there would scarcely be a person alive who didn’t know how slim their chances were of winning — but, they still play.

On a lighter note: Lottery ticket number 8484 was played in South Carolina over two hundred years ago — it paid $1500, of which $600 was used by the holder to purchase his freedom. Name of the holder?

Denmark Vesey.

Wow! Never knew that about Telemanque. I knew he was a carpenter but how that came to be somehow escaped the story in school. Interesting.

You are right about Harrison. Like you say, just more chum for the sharks.

What’s really deep about his story is that the rebellion that he organized caused South Carolina to become the first state to tell the Union to go to hell because of security issues precipitated by the high number of Africans in the colony.

From wiki:

South Carolina’s first effort at nullification occurred in 1822. It was believed that free black sailors had assisted Denmark Vesey in his planned slave rebellion. South Carolina passed a Negro Seamen Act, which required that all black foreign seamen be imprisoned while their ships were docked in Charleston. Supreme Court Justice William Johnson, in his capacity as a circuit judge, declared this law as unconstitutional since it violated United States treaties with Great Britain. The South Carolina Senate announced that the judge’s ruling was invalid and that the Act would be enforced. The federal government did not attempt to carry out Johnson’s decision.[32]

That’s the foundation, legally, of the Civil War. So, you see clearly, that Africans had a huge hand in our own liberation — as far back as 1822.

Great stuff to have that much of an impact on society in those times is immeasurable. Proves what really was going on.

I was also reading up on John C. Calhoun. It’s interesting how his punk ass ever came to be VP considering his history shaking rift with Jackson regarding nullification. Could you imagine how his politics would be perceived today on MSNBC?

There are a couple occasions where I would have loved to be there just for the historical power. Of course when Nat was handing out his licks in South Hampton, 1960′s Malcolm pre and post Mecca, Hannibal’s occupation and subsequent exile, yes the Middle Passage (to see if I am strong enough to endure without being killed because of my mouth), conversations with Dr. Henrik Clark, Dubois, Robeson, Hurston, Langston, Truth, Wheatley and of course Garvey, Baldwin and Octavia Butler. Jack Johnson’s might, Josh’s bomb out of Yankee Stadium and of course those Sunday Rube Foster parties–just to name a few.

I could go on and on. I just would have loved to shake each of their hands and see the strength in their eyes.

You guys are too deep for me. I would love to see Marvin in philly.

Dude you have me traveling through time on a Black Panther with a bomb at my side…focused eyes, mind and ready for the future soul shaking one way ride.

That just reminded me…there’s a book called Black Jacks: African American Seamen in the Age of Sail that I need to pick up.

John Vesey was a sailor and allegedly provided relief to the white Frenchmen who were able to escape Haiti. Some of them settled in South Carolina. News traveled fast back in the day.

See one of the moments I forgot (and then you bring it) to mention was the navigation of the seas from Europe (Columbus and Ericson but more importantly Columbus for the aforementioned book because of African navigators).

I wanted to know how those early seamen ticked in the worse way. I was almost obsessed with Erik the Red and also the Crusades around the age of twelve. Fascinating because what is the real story?

It’s complicated and we know it’s not what we’ve been told. I believe there were a great many voyages back in the day. Ivan Van Sertima has done more on this than anyone I know. His stuff is 20 years old, but it’s compelling — and I would imagine there is even more evidence than there was when he first unearthed this stuff.

Crazy but I can’t find much before the 1600′s. There has to be more.

Well, that’s just it. Most of the sailing before the 1500′s (exempting the Portuguese) was done by Muslims (of either Arab or African descent) and Asians. Much of that work wouldn’t be documented in a traditional Western sense, but Van Sertima pulled together all kinds of things. He even went to the realm of botany to find that Africans brought seeds with them across the ocean…the seeds were unearthed, but any sort of paper record would have been long gone.

There is a guy who wrote a book called When We Ruled that has pictures of thousands of pages of manuscripts from West Africa. The Smithsonian had some of this stuff for a minute in their Mali exhibit. Good stuff…I suspect those manuscripts may have some information as well. The problem — they’re in private collections in Africa and haven’t been categorized and preserved for international dissemination.

It seems to me that if Columbus was introduced to routes that folks had known about for some time, that’s an indication that people knew how to travel both ways — and given the knowledge of astronomy in so many of these societies, it stands to reason that there were some incidents. What hasn’t been found is the smoking gun of a long-standing commercial relationship.

12. sankofa says:

T3 even before When we ruled there was They came before Columbus, which talked about how the African sailers navigated the Atlantic into the Carribean and the contenent North and South of that area. Evidence were in the Olmecs and the images etched in stone. In fact, being a native of Guyana, Van Sertima grew up on some powerful stories of intriped sailors and other stories, including the fact that the “mayo” (sp) people who were fore fathers of the curent native of trinidad, they Europeans called them ‘indians’, but they were no more indians than the Seminols of Florida. Also the mayo people were solit in to two groups…the Arawak and the Carib and non of them were eating each other.

Thanks Sankofa. I knew you were coming with knowledge. Always can count on you two and others here for that. Be Peace.

Sankofa:

I think you’re late on that one.

I appreciate the details, but trust that my personally signed copy of “They Came Before Columbus” has served me well over the past two decades.

“When We Ruled” is not merely more recent — it’s simply a different book. The focus is not on the Atlantic or even that era. It’s really comprehensive in terms of discussing Africa from antiquity and in many different ways. I mentioned because if and when you pick it up, check out some of the images of manuscripts captured from West Africa. As I said, the Smithsonian had a great deal of documents from the Univ. of Sankore…I believe that there will be documentation that definitely speaks from the East about all that Van Sertima found in the West.

I’m glad you brought up La Venta and the Olmecs because that’s one of the best, if not the best, examples of the African Presence. Another book, which I’m sure you picked up is African Presence in Early America. There are some great short articles in there that break it down. I see how you get down. Keep it flowin!!

15. sankofa says:

Peace Mizzo

This more than anything else supes me up. T3 I am always down with you brother. In one of my many lives I was a knowledge pusher, dealing in African culture and my stories. While I have moved away from the actual selling today, but still will go down to the library now and then to recharge the battery. In the end it’s all good!