Albert Haynesworth Signs 7yr. 100 Million Deal With the Washington Redskins

Oh oh Donovan, Eli, Tony, Brandon, Brian and Marion. I hope you got some sleep last night because the ‘Skins just powered up and signed run stopper, quarterback dropper Albert Haynesworth away from the Tennessee Titans. The 2002 first round pick out of the University of Tennessee will earn 32 million the first 13 months of the deal. 41million is guaranteed and with incentives, the deal could reach 115 million. The base makes him the highest paid defensive player in the league. Haynesworth, a two time All-Pro who led the Titans with 8.5 sacks, is tailor made for the NFC East and the division will scramble during the free agency period to counteract this great signing. You gotta give it Dan Snyder, he is a go getter no matter what the past says. The Titans offered 11 million a season. What would you do?

37 Responses to “Albert Haynesworth Signs 7yr. 100 Million Deal With the Washington Redskins”

This isn’t good news for all the Eagles fans on the site. LOL!

2. origin says:

So mizzo whats the word on Mcnabb. Rumor is he really may force the eagles hand and try to get out.

Nah, he’s just handling his leverage like a yo yo. He ain’t going anywhere. I’m not sold on Hous…he ain’t tough enough IMO. I want Boldin.

The Redskins already have Cornelius Griffin at one DT. The addition of a happy, healthy Haynesworth should spell Doom to all the running backs with thoughts of inside runs vs. Washington. QBs are simply dead on arrival.

The ‘Skins defense was already very good. They only gave up more than 24 points once — in the last game. Imagine if Zorn knew what he was doing and didn’t alienate Clinton Portis. This team, though, still needs help on offense. Campbell can make all the throws and didn’t throw a pick until Week 9. If they can get through half of next season without an interception AND with Haynesworth and DeAngelo Hall, they should be very tough to beat.

The one thing that I think is missing from this team is a vocal leader with a championship pedigree. Maybe Portis is as good as it gets in DC.

Philly better get some tackles who can block.

Hey Philly….R-O-C-K-A-B-Y-E BABY!

T3,

The word is that Jason Taylor will hang around in D.C. for the upcoming season. I thought he’d end up getting cut since the Skins would save 8 million by doing so, but then again, when has Danial Snyder cared about a salary cap? :-) Can you imagine all three of those guys on the same defensive line? Scary thought if it happens.

I also think that the ‘Skins need another threat at WR. Randle-El is just not that guy and Moss can only do so much.

8. inkognegro says:

Well, since no one else will say it. I will.

Until Dan Snyder throws money at a player and he actually pans out. Im skeptical.

Haynesworth strikes me as the type to get fat and happy. (literally)

9. Diallo says:

I’ll never be scared of a Redskins team owned by Danny Boy. Haynesworth got $100 million based off of two contract year performances? I’m sure he’ll be even more motivated now after copping $41 million in guarantees. My boy is an ardent Titan fan and he was like “Yo Holmes, smell ya later.” I’m worried about the ‘Boys own internal stuff. But Haynesworth? Nah kid.

Inkog:

I can see where you’re coming from. I’m not up to 350, but if I signed a fat contract like that, I just might have to wrestle my way up to the table for some BBQ and brew — even if it’s at Skip Bayless’ brother’s place. :)

I don’t think this signing puts them over the top. GN is right. They need a WR. They drafted one last year with a high draft pick — so they need him to pan out this year. He showed some flashes — if he can get it rolling, that might be the trick.

The ‘Skins defense isn’t the problem.

11. inkognegro says:

yeah Diallo, its been absolutely non-stop around here with the Boys. Jerry got Wade flying Coach to the combine, and all the fans think subtracting TO and adding Ray Lewis can single handedly fix the locker room.

I dont know whose more delusional these days…

the GOP
    or the diehard Cowboys fans around here.

12. Enormous Brad says:

Forget warning the NFC QB’s. Has anyone informed Andre Gurode about this yet????

Not to change the subject…..but Brian Dawkins just signed with Denver.

Very bad move, Messrs. Lurie, Banner, and Reid.

*****************************************

I know what Haynesworth can bring to Washington but no one can convince me that once he signed his contract today that two words didn’t ring in his ears: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. I got crisp internet ducats for anyone who believes he’ll put up the same numbers the next two years in DC that he put up his last year in Nashville.

Damn….

That was not something to wake up to. WTF!!?!??

I had 4 conversations deep conversations with him in the locker room and also had the opportunity of shaking the man’s hand those same four times.

Seriously, being in his presence made me feel like a better man. Had nothing to do with football.

Damn…what are they thinking?

16. origin says:

Harvey Dent says

“In my last post I wrote that I cried over the Eagles in SB XV but I may have to change that today with BDawk leaving Philly. I haven’t went to PE.com yet but this is just so wrong on so many levels that a team almost 40mil under the cap couldn’t sign a pro bowl vet to a two year deal. Quintin Demps may be a solid replacement but the leadership, ferocity, and heart that Mr. Brian Dawkins brought to the Eagles every single game is not something that can be easily restored.

Very bad move, Messrs. Lurie, Banner, and Reid.’

Brotha I totally agree. Still looks like the cheap @ss eagles. Lets see what those bums do in free agency.

Also RIP brotha Norm Van Lier.

Looks like they also traded Lito Sheppard to the Jets for a 2009 fifth-round pick and a 2010 conditional draft pick.

18. origin says:

Great more of Reid stacking picks.

Lets see what Reid and scrooge Mcduck Lurie do.

I can’t get into this period to post anything after hearing about BDawk. My bad people.

I really wanna cuss right now.

20. Burundi says:

My handle in other places is “FedupPhillyFan” and, as an ardent fan who was completely CRUSHED during the NFC title game by the half, I sit here in stunned disbelief.

I live in DC where people seem to be more passionate about their NFL football allegiances than anywhere else I’ve lived, judging by all of the flags flying on people’s cars, seat covers, stuffed animals and footballs, as well as the large magnet decals splayed across, usually, the passenger doors. Despite there being a fairly HUGE contingent of Dallas Cowboy fans (most of whom are native Washingtonians, who have never set foot in Texas, who are purely oppositional to the ‘Skins due to what I’m told was the franchises racist history [i.e. dumping Doug Williams, etc.]), it’s hard, nonetheless, to not get swept up into the new era Dan S. has ushered in because he genuinely wants to win. From a business standpoint, his willingness to spend money (despite not winning) has, counterintuitively, INCREASED the worth of the franchise.

People always want to see the ‘Skins v. the ‘Boys, regardless of their records, because you know that it will ALWAYS be competitive and go down to the wire. Oh, and did I mention that, according to the rabid Redskin faithful, the trash talk and bragging rights have been said to better than sex because it lasts all the way until the next season—and, who doesn’t love repeatedly, regularly rubbing salt into the wound of an arch rival.

With all that being said, Haynesworth won’t need to put up those numbers to improve the defense (which struggled with pressuring the QB and INTs). Just his presence alone in the form of the double team he commands will free up Andre Carter and Jason Taylor to wreck shop. Being able to get pressure on the QB, which the ‘Skins struggled to do, will also correlate to more INTs. The signing of DHall, which corresponded with the release of Shawn Springs, should make those INTs be more numerous. The ‘Skins also re-acquired G Derrick Dockery so they will indeed be a serious force to be reckoned with.

Derrick Brooks and Brian Dawkins. It’s a business – ain’t it. It seems like the only way for a guy to finish with the same team is to retire 3 or 4 years before he’s done or take the league minimum.

I wonder where Brooks will wind up.

HD:
    I think Haynesworth will do fine in Washington. If they bring back most of the same guys, his life is going to be fairly easy — and so will everyone else’s. Griffin is still very good. Taylor never really got going and their will be many, many opportunities for coverage sacks playing under DeAngelo Hall, Fred Smoot, Carlos Rogers and Shawn Springs — and LaRon Landry. It’s going to be tough to move the ball whenever those cats come to town. They appear to have the type of defense where no one needs to have a career year or play out of this world in order for them to shut you down.

Has a consensus emerged in Philadelphia about whom the Eagles should draft with those picks? Is it Wells and any wide out or is it something else?

On a brighter note, Chris Kemeoatu told the Jets to kiss his ass and decided to stay with the Steelers. He’s younger than Faneca so he could afford to pass up that huge payday — I guess.

Denver signs free agent safety Brian Dawkins to a five-year, $17 million deal that includes $7.2 million guaranteed. The contract also has escalators that could boost the value of the deal to $27 million over five years, but the deal also could be voided to two years, $9 million.

I’m not mad at the Eagles or the Broncos or Dawkins. That’s some long green for a safety with as much mileage as Dawkins has accumulated. I don’t know how much longer I’d expect him to play at an elite level.

The Broncos signed John Lynch when he was 33 and he gave them four years. Dawkins is 35. They’ll probably be happy with two. He’s still going to be inducted into the Hall as an Eagle. Sad, sad day for the city, though.

23. Jerold Wells Jr. says:

First of all I like the move. I used to think Tommie Harris and Kevin Williams were the two best tackles in football (followed closely by Ngata in B-More) but Haynesworth looked unblockable ALOT last year. Dude just eats up blockers, gets penetration, and makes life miserable for guards and centers.

That being said, two dominant tackles and a damn good DE doesn’t make a defense unstoppable. SEE: Vikings, Minnesota

This move makes them strong up front but what does the rest of the defense have to offer? How are the LB’s? London Fletcher should have a little more freedom to roam and lay hats on folks but he’s getting up there in age. M. Washington is solid and I think this move will really put him in position to be a paymaker.

The Secondary? D. Hall is a fraud and I can’t believe he got another contract. Smoot isn’t what he used to be, hasn’t been for some time. They cut Shawn Springs. Carlos Rogers is nice and so is Landry.

Can they cover? Can the rest of the D get pressure? I’m not so sure.

I’m salivating at the potential matchups with the Giants though. Those will be interior line BATTLES. I love it.

Temple Dawkins is getting paid for what he will do off the field as well. I’m not mad at losing the player…I’m mad at losing the leader…the father (his son would sit on the on the wall while he addressed the media and listened attentively…what an education)…the soldier in the locker room.

He and Ray Allen at the ONLY professional athletes I’ve seen who rule their respective locker rooms.

You can not replace that.

This is why you need Black owners.

Who stole the soul!

I agree that he’ll be paid for his off-field value. I think you meant Ray Lewis — right?

Jerold — I’m not surprised Springs was traded — he’s 33. Either way, I don’t think Hall is a fraud. I don’t think he was willing or able to cover man-to-man without a dominant pass rush in Oakland. With the rush the ‘Skins are likely to put down, how long will he or Smoot or Rogers really have to cover anyone — besides, Rogers and Hall are very good at bumping receivers off the line and playing zone coverage and catching the ball. I guess we’ll see next year.

I’m talking about Dawkins.

If some of you are able, check CPAN…the State of the Black Union.

29. origin says:

“Dallas and Philly will probably be affected most by this move in the division because they tend to abandon the run. That’ll make Romo and McNabb sitting targets.”

“Mizzo – I know you said that McNabb ain’t goin’ nowhere, but I’m hoping you’re wrong. Lurie & Co. are a drag and, I’m losing my faith in them to right this ship.”

Totally agree on both issues.

30. origin says:

Brotha Mizzo Temple is talking about the ray allen comment.

Dawkins and Lewis.

I haven’t covered the Ravens.

I can only speak on what I know.

OK I get it. Yes I’m talking about Ray Allen.

35. Burundi says:

After reading his replies to your questions, I felt like I could almost see what you saw, which is a testament to your amazing interview—incredibly insightful and observant. My brotha, Mizzo, ‘preciate yo skills, man!

36. [...] Albert Haynesworth Signs 7yr. 100 Million Deal With the Washington … [...]