Monday Morning Starting Five: March 2, 2009

Two NFL players are lost at sea (WaPo)

Bill Rhoden writes of the union solidarity threat behind MLB drug testing (NY Times)

Raising the bar of sports content distribution (SYS-Con Media)

Without Dawkins and Runyan, the Eagles have a heart condition (Philly.com)

The Charles Barkley golf experiment (USA Today)

Feds give AIG 30 billion more (L.A. Times)

Journalist documents the tragic loss of yet another good brotha–with a maternal twist (The Sable Verity)

27 Responses to “Monday Morning Starting Five: March 2, 2009”

1. origin says:

AIG gets 30 billion……….man the government is a joke.

My prayers go out to the players lost at sea.

And the eagles better do something quick.

Real quick.

That orange jersey looks BIZARRE! Still, I wouldn’t mind having one.

He’s going to look even more bizarre in it…… :-)

GN:

Do you think Julius Peppers is going to the Cowboys or Patriots or neither?

They’ve found a capsized boat with one person clinging to it in the gulf. No word on who it is or where the other people are.

Nick Skyler only survivor.

That’s some scary business. I’m just waiting for some good news if there is any to come of this. Bizarre stuff.

T3,

I don’t see Peppers going to big “D” because they’re trying to lock up D-Ware long term. I’m not sure about Peppers and NE. Logically, it may seem like a good fit but how much are the Pats willing to pay him long term? NE is just like Pittsburgh (stingy as hell) when it comes to salary. :-)

With there not being a cap next year, this could possibly open the door to him coming in to NE. Bellichick is difficult to read in situations like this.

What do you think?

Nick Schuyler (my bad) is the survivor.

Just spoke to one of the reporters on the case and I’ll have more as the story develops. No foul play is suspected.

Honestly, GN, both scenarios appear to work. I read where the Cowboys might not have the loot, but there are a ton of places where they could make changes to free up room for Peppers. There is something about Ware that leaves me wanting. Maybe I just don’t see enough of his games. I’m open to correction, but I’m not really feeling him.

He had a spectacular season that was marked by its consistency, more than its incidents of dominance. He had a 3 sack game vs. the Rams. Not a big deal. He had a 3 sack game vs. the Seahawks. I want to give him props for that, but, hell – the Seahawks tried to run with Julius Jones (ha!) and were 1 dimensional for the entire game. He had a 3 sack game vs. the Giants sans Burress and Jacobs. I want to get excited, but I really can’t.

I understand he is a very, very good player — but he’s just not a guy that I get excited about. He deserves a great deal of respect for his consistency and his ability to play well against the run and the pass. I don’t think he has another level — a Derrick Thomas level or even a Shawne Merriman level — where his stats are NOISY!!! — where his presence is felt throughout the stadium and where offensive tackles start rocking out of their stance as soon as they get off the bus.

I don’t believe he’s enough to get Dallas over the top in the NFC East or in the NFC. They need another dominant defender.
    ——–
    You know I don’t want to see Peppers in New England. The thought of Peppers, a healthy Adalius Thomas and Jerrod Mayo sipping lattees behind Richard Seymour, The Fork and Ty Warren is just too much. The Pats were abused on the ground in quite a few games last season. They need to step it up as well.

12. origin says:

Marquise Cooper has been found alive also.

Yeah, I feel you on D-Ware. I definitely wouldn’t put him in the same category as Merriman. I couldn’t understand why people (Jaime Dukes for one) were screaming he that should’ve been defensive MVP. He’s a freak of an athlete but he doesn’t do all the things that Harrison does. Furthermore, he doesn’t make plays when the Cowboys need him to the most.

I don’t know how their cap space is, but with Dallas signing Keith Brooking, I’m not sure that they’ll be able to sign Peppers. I’m going to keep an eye on this one.

Wow. 2 of 4…Hang on dudes…hang on!!!

origin,

Do you have a link or did you hear it on the tube?

Marquis Cooper found alive:

Yeah, that is great news. Let’s pray the other two are alive as well.

President Joao Bernardo Vieira of Guinea-Bissau assassinated.

Hold off on Cooper. He has NOT been found despite reports.

What’s going on in Guineau-Bisseau that this went down?

21. origin says:

Great posts Mizzo Temple.

I see the CIA is getting their gangsta gangsta on…..Typical!!!

He took over after a coup in 1980

Nino’s chief rival–Army Chief of Staff Batista Tagme Na Waie–was killed in a bomb blast yesterday.

Nino survived an attempt on his life in November of last year and numerous coup attempts in the past. As you may know, Guineu-Bisseau is not doing to good economically and it’s been suspected the Colombian drug trade is a reason behind the assassinations.

In recent years, Colombian drug cartels have begun flying small planes across the Atlantic, landing on tiny islands dotting the Guinean coastline. Since Guinea-Bissau has no navy to patrol its waters, the cartels were free to unload tons of cocaine destined for Europe. The drugs were then distributed to impoverished African migrants, who would carry the drugs north by boat to the shores of France, Italy, and Spain.

General Waie accused Nino of having a hand in the drug trade itself.

“This recent set of killings can be explained [as] the action of the drug traffickers, who would not allow anything to get in the way or to obstruct their links with Europe,” says David Zounmenou, a senior researcher at the Institute for Security Studies in Tshwane, formerly known as Pretoria.

23. Patrick says:

Another ‘big’ story over the weekend is the postponement of the March 2nd Barry Bonds trial indefinitely. I saw this coming especially after the judge refused evidence by the prosecution.

…”The U.S. Court of Appeals in San Francisco said in a filing today it’s expediting the government’s appeal of the ruling. The judge barred positive drug tests and other evidence unless they are supported by testimony from Greg Anderson, Bonds’s former trainer, who has refused to be a witness…”

Patrick’s interpretation: The judge won’t tolerate any more stalling by the remnants of the Bush Justice Department who are desperately holding on to hope this case continues … and knows the Attorney General is eager to appoint ‘his people’.. and once that happens this case will be thrown out…for good..

Additionally, Eric Holder, will likely start making decisions about his choices for U.S. attorneys very soon. So most of the Bush Justice Department attorneys and prosecutors will be asked to resign or forced out.

In Bill Rhoden’s piece, he had a quote from Marvin Miller (91 years old now) and it had echoed what I said a few weeks/months ago…

This is what Mr. Miller said:

“I expect the right-wing Republicans like Bush to act in a certain way,” Miller said during a telephone interview Sunday. “I do not expect President Obama and his appointees to do the same.”

“I thought the failure to oppose testing was a breach,” Miller said. “At the time I told my wife, this is such an error; you’re going to see players go to jail before this is over. It was clear that the government was going to get involved, and when the government gets involved they will pick out targets and the media just goes along with it.”

Thanks Mizzo. I had no idea.

Thanks Patrick — that Miller piece really illuminates the fact that the outcome of this drama has been known for some time. Obama’s ascendance was the “wild card.”

That judge was fuming.