Friday Fire: Who is the Greatest Dunker of All Time?

The Spectrum closes tonight and so does an era. Regardless of what pundits, fans or basketball “historians” say, Julius Dr. J Erving is the small forward on my all time team. History baby, history.

This thread is not about that.

This is about the dunk, bang, slam, boof or whatever else it’s called.

Doc’s rock the Mike Cooper cradle banger put basketball on another universe visually. Julius was my favorite dunker of all time until I took a trip out west to see the Shaq and the Lakers play KG and the Timberwolves (Shaq’s feet are bigger than Nate Robinson). The Saturday before I left I watched the 2000 dunk contest in a hotel bar and couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Vince Carter, Tracey McGrady and Stevie Francis were going at it like I’ve never seen before. Dunk after bombastic, fantastic,  just as dramatic dunk. It was outstanding. The best dunk contest ever and that’s including Mike and Nique. He’s the evolution of every dunker past and present. No one wants to see him. Windmills off the oop? Black Mustard. Cats who didn’t get out of the poster are gonna wonder why their grandkids are looking funny at them the minute they are born.

Coochie, coochie coo my ass.

Why you do me like that Grandpop!

All you can say is…grandson…I wasn’t the only one.

Vince’s dunks are straight mad African!

13 Responses to “Friday Fire: Who is the Greatest Dunker of All Time?”

I can’t disagree with that one. He has so many, but the way he caught Alonzo was just brutal. The entire repertoire: in game, dunk contest, creativity, elevation, one-leg, two-legs, running, standing, 360, 180, reverse 360, reverse 180, windmills, off glass, off that ass, power, finesse, under the rim, over the rim, one hand, two hands, left or right, hang time, double clutches, double clutches on defenders (Dominique’s specialty), on alley-oops, over defenders, over teammates, regular season, post-season (what little action he’s seen over the years)…the whole sha-bang.

2. Matthew Fudge says:

Nastiest dunk I’ve ever seen was Jordan over Ewing on the baseline in the ’91 playoffs. Up until that point, I don’t think I’d ever seen anyone reach the apex of his jump, then go a little higher to throw it down. 2nd nastiest was Baron Davis over AK-47 in the playoffs two years ago. That dunk was worth the T Davis got charged with afterwards.

I think you have to give the edge to VC for all the reasons T3 stated….

The best dunk I think i’ve ever seen is when Vince Carter dunked on and over Frederick Weis in the 2000 Olympics.

4. Ron Glover says:

Vince had me when he left half of his arm in the rim in either the 2000 or 2001 Slam Dunk Contest.

He’s the Bo Jackson of dunkers, you don’t wanna be the last line of defense if the rim is his destination.

I wish he had achieved more as a player on the court – especially in the post-season.

I spoke with him a couple of days ago. Got a piece coming next week.

7. MODI says:

hard to argue with VC.

But when it comes to alley-oops nobody surpasses the reign man…

8. Matthew Fudge says:

MODI,

Don’t know how I forgot about Shawn Kemp. My brother liked his style, and he doesn’t follow basketball. Who could forget the Rain Man giving Chris Gatling dap after he dunked on him? Too funny.

Doc glided
    Jordan soared
    ‘Nique exploded
    but VC did all dat when it came to the throwdown so despite the sacrilege I’ll give my vote to him as the best dunker I’ve ever seen.

10. sankofa says:

T3 as a ex-Knick (sorry MODI) and soon to be ex-Raptor ( I don’t have the fight anymore) I only wished Vince had half the desire to be great that Kobe or Michael have/had. Hell, I wished he would have given the efort that Reggie Evans gave. How could we have judged him, even at this stage, if so?

11. Jerold Wells Jr says:

I saw a clip, Jordan dunks on some guard who played for the Jazz. Mighta been Stockton. Anyhow after dunking on whoever it was someone yells “pick on someone your own size” from the crowd. Mike dunks on the center and responds ” is he big enough for you?”

Mike had a viciousness about him. Nique too. Those guys dunked with bad intentions. Kenyon Martin has it. Shawn Kemp had it. Larry Johnson had it. Tyson Chandler tries, but the poor guy just doesn’t really have skills, lol.

Vince is the Dunking GOAT but he’s the perfect storm of a dunker, like Harvery said. The arm in the rim thing and the wrong way 360 make me shake my head everytime I see them. Just sickening.

Oh yeah, Mizzo can you PLEASE repost that slide of ol boy getting dunked on, fastbreak, with the yell in the face afterwards? I want to start every morning by looking at that. My goodness.

Last thing, anybody remember Hakim Warrick over Royal Ivey? I still have that Slam poster. You tube it if you don’t know.

12. duh darrell griffith first ncaa player to do 360 in a game,,plus al mcguire ,said he was the the most unbelievable dunker he ever saw at the time

13. only 6″4 at the time also biiitch