Monday Morning Starting Five: The National Final Edition

Crazy how sports changes in a year. Last year this time, Derrick Rose and Memphis lost dramatically to Kansas on a legendary Mario Chalmers bomb. Depending on my work schedule, I would love to live blog tonight as well. We’ll see. Hope you all had a decent weekend. I’m covering a panel this morning discussing high school drop out rates that’s moderated by Stephen A. Smith. Hall of Famer Charles Barkley, future Hall of Famer Brian Dawkins, Keith Russell, Ken Shropshire and Gary G. Cobb are among the panelists. I’ll have a report this week. Have a good Monday.

Dante Stallworth was already in a substance abuse program. (Cleveland Plain Dealer)

Gary Washburn comments on Geno Auriemma discussing race. (Gary Washburn’s Sports Blog)

Ashley Fox’s excellent series on North Philly: Bernard Hopkins. (Philly.com)

Africa for the Africans. (The Nation)

Jamie Foxx fights off crazy dude in Philly. (CBS3.com)

Earthquake kills at least 50 in Italy (NY Times)

What is the value of an African American life? (Powahatan Today)

9 Responses to “Monday Morning Starting Five: The National Final Edition”

1. Patrick says:

In Florida, the crosswalk law may aid in Stallworth’s defense. Even if he gets out of this criminally with a minimal prison sentence or significant probation, the NFL will likely suspend him (especially already being enrolled in the substance abuse program) for a season. So we may see an even more diminished Stallworth in the 2011 season at the age of 31.

*** Stallworth’s attorney Christopher Lyons, a former Miami-Dade prosecutor, said in a brief press conference outside the courtroom Thursday morning that he would “vigorously defend this case.” He also said that his defense team has already begun its own investigation into the accident…..

“We want to stress there are no winners here,” Lyons said. “It was a tragic accident.” ****

2. Patrick says:

*** Is a Republic of Africa, controlled by black people, possible? Friends of the movement say that the idea may unite the Negro groups of the world in large industrial cooperation and commercial enterprise, even if the dream of African empire is not realized for many generations….***

I believe its possible, and I hope President Obama is a conduit to help make this a reality. Politically, right now Obama has other matters to tend to, but I hope there are more envoys and outreach in Africa via the State Department to help make it possible.

3. Patrick says:

…and finally, I am worried about my Atlanta Hawks facing a more balanced, collectively athletic Sixers’ team even though the Hawks would have home court advantage…

No playoff series will be easy, but I rather see the Hawks face a more one-dimensional D-Wade and Heat team, who the Hawks have beaten three of four times.

Thad Young and Iggy have given the Hawks a lot of problems this season and the past two meetings the Sixers have beaten Atlanta by double digits. Mike Glenn, who works for Fox Sports South, says that the Sixers really want to face the Hawks because they match up better against our team.

Additionally, the frontcourt contributions of veterans Reggie Evans and Theo Radliff is also a concern for Hawk fans as well..

Mumia loses bid for new trial.

The piece you did on the PHI/DET was pretty good Miz.

Loving these quotes from Kevin Mawae and Adalius Thomas, respectively, concerning the expansion of the NFL regular season:

“What’s in it for us? If we’re going to give you two more games, two more games of wear and tear on our bodies, two more games of potential career-ending injuries, two more games of concussions, blown-out knees, elbows, whatever you want to call it, then what’s the price you’re willing to pay for us to give that to you?”

“Why would you want an 18-game season? Why? … It’s the money thing. Stop. Just stop. If [NFL owners] want to cry about money, then open your books up to an independent audit to really show how much money you’re making. If you really want to cry about money, open your books up, put what you really make in the paper, like you put our salary in the paper every year so that the fans can say, ‘Well, they’re making this much money, why don’t they do this?’ If that’s the case, I’m sick of people talking about, crying about, ‘Well, we need to make cuts here’ …

“I’m just trying to figure out, what’s the purpose for an 18-game season? At the end of the year, when players go to the playoffs, it’s been a long season, so now you’re going to say it’s a longer season? Are you just going to stretch out the payments over 18 weeks now? No. We’re not doing that. You can mark me down on the injured list for two weeks. You can put that in your books. You’ve done lost your mind.”

That’s what I’m talking about. Put the onus on the owners and the fans who think that these guys are out their playing Madden every Sunday and not putting real wear and tear on their bodies.

Oh yeah, got the quotes from Peter King’s column on SI.com

Still read it to see what I can glean from time to time and because I miss Dr. Z, get well soon.

Check the link:

A little more info. on the VA. case re: Tahliek Taliaferro.

Patrick:

Obama’s not down with the Africa for the Africans plan. If he were, he wouldn’t be allowing the AFRICOM military command plans to proceed. No one wants it, except for those with a need to secure oil and other energy transactions while precluding the expansion of a Chinese presence (based on the development of infrastructure) on the continent.

Then again, maybe he’s just lulling the US military and Big Oil and the Pentagon and the Council on Foreign Relations to sleep. Expect to see a few heads of state arrested or assassinated in the next 5 to 10 years.

9. origin says:

Temple and Patrick great points as always. Thanks for the link Temple, I will be passing it on.

Harvey……..Kevin Mawae and Adalius Thomas are now my 2 favorite NFL players. Adalius Thomas makes me proud that we went to the same college. Talking to him when we were in school together, I always thought he was a pretty smart dude.