Pardon The Interruption

Allow me to open up by saying that I missed you guys terribly. TSF Family is as near and dear to me as my writing. The toughest time was during the NFL Playoffs and Super Bowl, it was hard to even go to the site. I felt like I had let a multitude of people down including the one person that gave me the opportunity to shine. I wish there was some warning that I could’ve given prior to my hiatus, but when the Man Upstairs calls an audible in your life; you’d better be prepared to run the hot route.

December 5, 2008:

Things seemed pretty normal at my day job (I always considered TSF a 24-hour gig because of my commitment to its cause). Although rumors were circulating about a possible downsizing, I never paid much attention until I got the call to meet with the CEO that afternoon. “We regret to inform you that today will be your last day with us.” he continued, “Your termination is not performance based, it’s just that you are the least experienced in your department.”

In other words, “Last hired, first fired.”

My immediate thoughts went to my son and the mortgage, I was pretty much done my holiday shopping for him so that wasn’t an issue but the mortgage could be if things didn’t change in a hurry. Through it all, I kept saying to myself, “This is happening for a reason.”

Three weeks earlier, I applied for a Project Director position overseeing youth programs for my State Representative. The job seemed ideal since I had a good bit of experience with the youth in my old neighborhood. They seemed very impressed with my background and experience but there was a serious conflict with my current job. Although the position was part-time and the salary was good I was unable to take the position and it was filled.

At least that’s what I was told.

Unbeknownst to me a former co-worker was a secretary in the Rep’s office and heard my name bouncing around the office. Upon inquiring, she proceeded to tell them how much of an asset I would be to the program and that I should be given a chance.

December 17, 2008

I get a call from the Rep’s counsel asking if I was still interested in the position, so we set up an interview with the Rep and things go great. I explained my passion for giving our youth the best opportunities to empower themselves and how I felt I was in a position to make that happen.

Know all we had to do was iron out one minor detail…salary.

As I was presented the budget for the program, I noticed that my salary was nearly double what I was originally told. I wanted to make sure things wouldn’t come back to bite me later. After questioning the salary, I was told that the budgeted version was correct.

Today

My first event was a Christmas party that the Rep gives each year to the children in his district. After eating lunch and some other activities they get a visit from Santa before the day wraps up. It was there that I came to the realization that I may want to enter the political arena on a smaller scale for now.

Part of my job is to visit schools, I’ve spoken to many principals and teachers. Surprisingly, the biggest problem facing many students in the inner-city is nutrition. Many of these kids come from homes where they have to fend for themselves and their siblings and sometimes breakfast isn’t an option.

One startling statistic is the State of Pennsylvania’s plans to build 6 prisons at $600 million a piece. The flip side to that is that there are plans to cut education costs, close schools, and trim after school programs. For this to happen in the United States in the 21st century is unacceptable.

As months have passed, the job has become more demanding and I realize more often than not, I’m in a position to make an impact, I don’t say make a difference, because that comes when you begin to see results. In the meantime, I’ll continue to put my arms around the programs and the children and families that seek to benefit from it. I’ve always been taught to give back, more importantly, I’ve always WANTED to give back.

Thanks to Mizzo for being an ear through high and low, he left me a message that touched me to the point where I still have it and listen to it. AXG and I were just getting to know one another. There is something special about him and his work, I hope that it gets noticed on a larger scale.  I’m glad to see that the TSF enrollment has increased and I’m positive that it will continue. Keep those torches lit.

With that being said, dust mine off..

I’m back!

27 Responses to “Pardon The Interruption”

Congratulations. That’s a great story. Keep up the good work. Holla if you need anything.

2. Thanks my friend, it’s good to be back.

We have some NFL catching up to do :-)

Welcome back TBR. I didn’t know what happened to you but i’m glad you’re back on the set.

As for the NFL, you down w/ the Steelers, too? ;-)

4. Thanks GN, while Lynn Swann is my all-time favorite player and I can’t help but admire the tradition and class that the Steelers organization has demonstrated, I’m an Eagles fan at heart.

But I watch the Steelers just as much. Consider me an admirer from afar.

5. des says:

Good to have you back. Morgan State made the Big dance and i couldn’t find you. Maybe next season :)

6. Thanks, I will definitely be on the lookout for Todd Bozeman and Bears next season.

Welcome back!!! We missed you to.

Nice piece.

8. Thanks, glad to be back. Still in shock over the Red Wings losin’ the Cup.

What a wonderful story! Things do happen for a reason, this was your destiny. KUDOS!

10. Tariq says:

Welcome back!

TBR,

There is an open invitation for you and Mizz to get on the Steeler bandwagon. I think T3 extended that invite just last year. We still have a few more seats open, what’s up? :-)

12. I almost did it after the Super Bowl but I didn’t want to look like a front runner. I was gonna go with the Ravens this season to be honest

Here’s the deal if the Eagles don’t MAKE it to the Super Bowl, I’m in. If you have a better offer pitch it.

Man what you talkin’ about? Don’t let ‘em do it to you man. The Eagles give us pain every damn year at the end. Why would we want to jump ship?

LOL……i’m just trying to save yall from that broken heart, or heart attack even. :-)

Ask my Pop about throwing a Schlitz bottle through the TV way back in the day watching an Eagles game. Heredity mang, heredity.

16. GN, I’m wit you th Kool-Aid is tastin old, the same flavor no sweetner, nothin. Them lettin B-Dawk go was a kick to my groin.

But I gotta give ‘em another year.

Am I a fool or what :-(

17. Mizzo if we keep messin’ with these clowns that’s gonna be us. Try explainin’ to the Boys how you put a 40 of OE through the plasma. LOL!!

@Mizz

LOL…it doesn’t have to be that way, bruh. You gotta break the cycle before it reaches your seeds.

@TBR

“But I gotta give ‘em another year.

Am I a fool or what :-(

Do what you gotta do, bruh….but I can’t promise you that those two seats will still be reserved. :-)

19. Ok, I’ve gotta give this thing some major thought.

I can’t bounce on Triple 5 Soul. His Momma would have no more words for me.

21. I feel you man, cause as soon as we bounce. They’ll be tearing up Center City again.

And I need to be a part of that.

Dude what kind of face is that? Supposed to be the no jinx face.

23. TC says:

Great to have you back TBR! Great to hear the positive employment news also! Congrats!

24. Thanks, glad to be back.

25. [...] Gilbert, Anthony Carter, Vinnie Goodwill, Ron Glover and I are making headway, but I want to see Terrence McNeil, Jerold Wells Jr. and Jeff Young get [...]