Brandon Marshall has some off field issues, granted, but even in his NFL youth is one of the most talented receivers in the league. He’s put his name on the block…which really doesn’t mean anything in today’s professional sports…and let’s for the sake of the discussion say he gets traded. If you had the keys to your organization, would you make that move and why? He either is gonna be a beast for the next 8-10 years or fall off. There will be no middle. He’s too talented for that.

Since we are on a Hip Hop vibe here the last few days, I’ll post an interview with Professor Griff in the morning. Doing an interview with Todd Boyd today. Any questions, please shoot them to my email and not on the site.

To the links.

One agent could deliver two point guards to the Sixers. (Philly.com)

Jesse Jackson’s commentary on the rise of guns and hate. (Chicago Sun Times)

The much anticipated Lox renunion is in fact real. (SOHH)

Davey D posts a lost interview with Tupac Shakur. Good work D. (Davey D’s Hip Hop Corner)

Muslim Hip-Hop: The Dawah Hope, The Dawah Reality and Changing The Game. (Muslim Poet)

Supreme Court rejects final appeal in ‘Cuban Five’ spy case. (Miami Herald)

22 Responses to “Thursday Morning Starting Five: The Would You Trade For Brandon Marshall Edition”

1. I had a chance to tune into the NBA workouts last nite and I liked what I saw from Maynor, Johnny Flynn and Ty Lawson. Watching the other guards run, Lawson doesn’t look like the blur that he was during the season.

As for Marshall, I would offer a 3rd round pick and Reggie Brown. If that doesn’t move them sweeten the pot with Sheldon Brown and lower the pick to a 4th.

2. That may actually be too much for Marshall (throwing in Brown). But what the heck, the Eagles wouldn’t do it anyway.

You know Kevin McHale got the boot in Minnesota.

He may not be much of a GM, but I guess they’ll revert to using archival videos to coach up those big men.

Brandon Marshall was born in Pittsburgh. I bet he wouldn’t mind going home. He would get fixed back home. Don’t know what they’d be willing to give up. Denver probably wants a 2 and a player.

T3,

They’d probably want Santonio in return for him and a 2. If that’s the case, I say “hell to the naw”.

GN:

Agreed. The Steelers didn’t draft SH to piss him away to the Broncos. They can have Nate’s empty locker and a 3.

7. Tariq says:

That Muslim Hip-Hop link is very interesting, Mizzo. Thanks.

This post was not built for Cuban Linx. Somebody call Raekwon!! The link to the Spy Story ain’t wukkin’.

No doubt Tariq.

I would not trade Santonio for Marshall. No matter how good he is. Santonio is a Steeler and will forever be to the Pittsburgh legion.

10. Jerold Wells Jr. says:

Uh…. just to clarify. No Marshall for Holmes because of what? Character issues? This is football, not the boy scouts. I mean I understand that Holmes has endeared himself to Steeler nation and all but come on guys. Marshall is the flat out, hands down truth. He’s a younger TO, he’s what David Boston coulda been if he woulda stopped lifting weights long enough to be a WR. Dude catches EVERYTHING. Plus, once he catches it, he’s hell to bring down. He’s an immediate upgrade over every WR on the Steelers roster. Every one of them. Question is, is he a Steeler? Would he toe the company line? He definitely has some diva in him but who doesn’t? Holmes got high on company time but showed up when it counted so he’s a Steelers guy? I know for certain Big Ben would love that big target.

This is coming from a Vikings fan folks. We haven’t been able to sniff a #1 since Randy left. Gamebreakers at WR don’t just fall off trees. The Steelers WR corp is solid, no doubt. I’m just saying he could make it great.

To answer the question though. Yeah I’d take Marshall in a Minnesota uni just as sure as it’s gonna be cold as hell around January in the Twin Cities.

11. JW Jr. any truth to the Al Jefferson for Amare Stoudemire trade rumor?

12. des says:

The Ravens should give up 1st and 3rd round picks for him. Yeah, I know it seems steep, but we finally got a real live QB, It doesn’t seem right to saddle him with 36 year old Derrick Mason and a bunch of scrubs. Hell, they already let his best OL walk (Jason Brown) and replaced him with a guy eight years older.

If you add Marshall to the Steelers and subtract Holmes, they don’t have a great wide receiver corps. They have a new wide receiver in a new system playing with an aging Hines Ward.

I like Marshall, but not enough to give up Holmes. Before his early season stumble, he entered the season with the highest YPC in the league. He squandered that with the puff puff, toot toot, but he did make it back.

Agreed this isn’t the boy scouts but it is about the future. Pitt would be better off giving up a 2 and keeping Holmes. Then again, the Steelers have been down this road before with Plaxico. They won both SB’s without a big game breaking WR. They’re not likely to mortgage their future for a gamble on Marshall.

14. Tariq says:

Holmes > Marshall.

Jerold:

All these years, I was thinking the Vikings started to suck when they hired Mike Tice.

Denny Green won 10 or more 5 times. Took them to the brink of the SB and got canned as soon as some injuries changed the team’s fortunes. They had 8 playoff appearances — and said, No thanks. They even had Tomlin in the fold.

Minnesota sucks because they keep doing stupid shit like hiring guys like Tice and Childress.

16. Jerold Wells Jr. says:

I agree that Holmes is proven in the Steelers system. Bringing in Marshall is all based on potential yes but he’s been one of the most productive WRs in the league over the last couple of years. I don’t think it’s the Steeler way and I don’t think they’ll do it but Holmes ain’t better than Marshall, sorry Tariq. Bigger, faster, younger baby. There are a finite number of ‘killers’ at the WR position and he’s one of them. I’m just saying.

@TBR, God I hope not. I’m not an Amare guy. Offensively he’s a force sure but after the knee surgeries he’s become a little too finesse for my liking. Combine that with his complete aversion to defense and I’ll pass. I honestly believe Amare has the tools to dominate in a Moses Malone, Darryl Dawkins kind of way. Yet he settles. Mizzo, get at your boy Amare the way you got at Dwight. You gotta do it!!! Skilled back to the basket guys are rare and Al is a beast on the block. He should be poised to really break out next year provided he comes back 100% from the knee injury.

@T3, I couldn’t agree more. Tice was a joke. What a waste. Childress is killing me softly. We’ve got so much talent on that roster it’s almost sickening. He’s still around because he coached with/under a hell of coach in Andy Reid. The good ol boy system baby, gotta love it. They justify his existence with the BS “improvements from year to year” crap. Never mind that the offense is stale and predictable. Never mind that we can’t stop any passing attack IN THE LEAGUE. Never mind that the best QB on our roster doesn’t have the support of the coaching staff. Never mind that we’re wasting a stud running back in the prime of his career. This group of coaches and front office types doesn’t draft well. They don’t develop the guys that they do bring in. It’s either get lucky with the hit or miss draft picks or free agency. Ridiculous. At least Denny Green kept young talent in the fold on the offensive side of the ball.

He had a nice run in Minny. 9 years ain’t bad. Gary Anderson, Gary Anderson, Gary Anderson.

There are really a lot of dumb people in this country. I just read some of the comments on Donte’s indefinite suspension over at ESpin…and wow….talk about stupid. Reading comprehension and deductive reasoning are lacking in abundance.

I never read them anymore Miranda. Gets me heated to Yosemite Sam like levels every time. Ooooooooooh! Guns blazin’ and all that.

******

That damn Gary Anderson….

20. Kirk Mitchell says:

I’d trade for Marshall in Heartbeat, The Dolphins should give them a 2 and 4 and be done with it.

21. Tariq says:

Holmes > Marshall ….?

I co-sign with everything T3 said regarding Marshall for Santonio. To play in the Steeler system, you have to be a “system” guy. That means that you share the ball, share the spotlight, etc. which results in the WR core working as ONE unit. In short, this means to “check your egos at the door”. This is a primary reason why the Steelers have had so much success over the years.

Brandon Marshall is a “beast”, “freak of nature”, etc., but him coming to Pittsburgh would be like any other top 5 WR coming to Pittsburgh — a mistake. Why? Because he’s gonna want the ball thrown in his direction 80 – 90% of the time and the Steeler offense is predicated on spreading the ball around.

Holmes may not be better than Marshall but he’s just what the Steelers need in their system — an unselfish playmaker.