Friday Fire: What Was Your Favorite Michael Jackson Track?

I can’t even get into the draft. I had a post I’ve been working on all day, passed out from a lack of sleep the last week and woke up to 100 text messages. Most were friends, associates, co-workers, questioning if Mike had died or not. There was a period where everyone was waiting for confirmation because the first outlet to report his death was TMZ. Ultimately, when I heard it was a shock. I’m still in shock. The majority of the texts said Mike was a big part of my childhood. Whether you like it or not, Michael Jackson is the greatest entertainer of all time. He was the reason Black folk are on MTV. His videos were events. My family and I would sit around the TV and wait for his world premiers to drop. Thriller’s video was so unique it changed the game. I remember dancing to Rock With You with my first girlfriend in sixth grade. Nothing about his talent was fake or produced in a studio. It was all him. Talent learned from him. Like they say, often imitated, never duplicated. Any video where you see dancing was influenced by Michael Jackson. Remember the cocky dude who couldn’t stay in step at the end of the Beat It video? The magnitude of his death will be felt for decades. He transcended race, class, music, life. I hope his kids were able to learn from his talent and transfer Mike’s gift to whatever potential they have embedded in their soul. God bless the entire Jackson family.

I can’t believe this. He’s really gone?

18 Responses to “Friday Fire: What Was Your Favorite Michael Jackson Track?”

Never had 1. There were just too many songs associated with so many of life’s greatest joys and deepest hurts. He touched every aspect of our lives with his genius. I’m going to see if I can find ‘Victory’ on vinyl in my dusty uptown crates.

Many choices here but my all-time favorite is one of his earliest solo songs from the ’70′s, “Someday In Your Life” from the “Lady Sings the Blues” soundtrack. Touching song which was really sold me because of the beautiful sound of MJJ’s voice.

RIP, King, because we’ll never forget you.

3. awb says:

Smooth Criminal video. Best one he ever made. Out here in L.A. I am reminded why I love black people. Despite his troubles, issues ect Black folks are celebrating his life and his impact on theirs. My wife told me a party she went to when all they played was “1999″ and “Thriller”. Cats are on the radio talking about how they would skip school to catch a glimpse of him. Chris Brown, Usher, Justin Timberlake and all the rest need to bow down and pay respect to the man they owe their careers to. Directors of videos need to recognize. Down the line we can talk about other stuff. Celebrate his life now.

4. awb says:

I’m watching “Remember The Time”. Apparently Magic Johnson is imitating Buckwheat

So many to chose from but two of my favorites are “Wanna Be Startin’ Something” and “Human Nature”.

LOL@ awb

Yeah, Magic definitely was a poor choice. Perhaps they should’ve given him a non-speaking part. :-)

6. Patrick says:

The Thriller album was a collection of great songs, Thriller to Billie Jean …it was a “classic”…

When a Michael Jackson debut song came out, it was an event… I remember when Thriller came out, my school had like a Halloween party when I was in third grade..and later on the ‘Bad’ video was a television event on CBS in 1987, and I remember the In the Closet video debuting on MTV in 1991…

Beside the Thiriller album, two other songs that are favorites of mine are You Are Not Alone (1995) and Man in the Mirror (1988)…honorable mention goes to Smooth Criminal…

Any woman that says “The Lady In My Life” isn’t her favorite is lying to you.

8. awb says:

Oh yeah, “Man in the Mirror” is one of my favorites

Human Nature

Not to thread jack but maybe the better topic would have been our favorite MJ videos/performances. I’m going to put the extended video for ‘Smooth Criminal’ out there. ‘Remember the Time’ and ‘Thriller’ were great but when Mike did that serious gangsta lean coming out of the bridge I still squeal like a little girl. Great vid.

Gosh, I’ve been re-introduced to songs I haven’t heard in 20 years or more.

With A Child’s Heart

Enjoy Yourself

5 black boys had their own cartoon in the early 70s…that is fascinating to me
    Stop, the Love You Save May Be Your Own

12. Marco says:

how can yall say that hes the? king of pop!! hes the best ! R.I.P

13. MODI says:

can’t do it… can’t pick just one.

video? can’t do it… can’t pick just one…

14. TC says:

I guess if I gotta say one, it’s Billie Jean. If that ain’t damn near the perfect pop song, I dunno what is. My brother and I are a year apart in age and were 12 and 11 in ’87 when “Bad” came out and we quickly became Thriller fans also. We were raised Seventh-Day Adventist and my folks didn’t listen to much popular music when we were younger, but once we heard Bad, it was all over. Damn….I still can’t believe he is gone.

15. Tariq says:

Yup, I agree with TC: gotta be Billie Jean. Although the video is kinda underwhelming, but the song itself, as well as the Motown 25 performance… sensational.

16. kos says:

It’s just impossible for me to pick one. I think one testament to Jackson is that you have folks that like stuff from different albums and there is no really consensus best song from him like there are for other people.

17. Gotta be “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough’ hands down.

18. Michael Jackson – American superstar. I love you is Michael Jackson!!!!!!