Michael Vick Reinstated (Sort of)

After 2 years away from football, Michael Vick is back in the NFL on a conditional basis.

Michael Vick has been reinstated on a conditional basis by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. According to Goodell, these conditions allow Vick to sign, practice and play in the final two preseason games, Vick will also have former Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy to serve as his mentor. Finally, Goodell will evaluate Vick’s reinstatement status by week 6. It still sounds like a blanket suspension if Goodell stretches this out til week six. But I’ll take what I can get if it means getting him back into the League.

In a statement released to the Associated Press, Vick expresses remorse and gratitude for the opportunity to play in the NFL once again:

“I would like to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation to commissioner Goodell for allowing me to be readmitted to the National Football League,” Vick said. “I fully understand that playing football in the NFL is a privilege, not a right, and I am truly thankful for the opportunity I have been given.

“As you can imagine, the last two years have given me time to re-evaluate my life, mature as an individual and fully understand the terrible mistakes I have made in the past and what type of life I must lead moving forward.”

Personally, I hope that it works out for Vick – he has paid his debt and deserves another opportunity to earn a living.

Stay tuned for my NFL Preseason Power Rankings later in the week.

11 Responses to “Michael Vick Reinstated (Sort of)”

1. origin says:

So it begins……………..this thing is far from over.

Thank you Ron G.

Wildcat, smile cat the Black man is a quarterback.

I cant wait for the day Vick returns to play against the Falcons in the Georgia Dome. That’s gonna be one helluva tailgate and one helluva crowd.

4. Sufer70 says:

The NFL more than any other prof. sport is loaded with criminals.And until the NFL begins cracking down and getting stricter with punishment it will continue..This man admitted killing dogs,running a fight ring, and gambling and tax evasion.Served almost 2 years in prison and the NFL slaps him with a 6 game suspension.(2 games more than NFL’s standard 4 game suspension for violating the substance rules)
    If Pete Rose cannot be in the MLB HOF? this man should be no where near a NFL team.

If they don’t leave Mike alone and let him play. The man has paid enough!

6. I’ve narrowed it down to Jacksonville and Buffalo. Both cities are low-key and the Jags could use a sale boost. I don’t think the Bills QB situation is as great as most think.

Remember that Nike Commercial about 5 years ago with T.O. and Vick playin in the rain?

7. Dan says:

just goes to show the caliber of American people these days.
    There’s no act so low and despicable that it would preclude a person from being worshiped. Particularly in the black community.
    We’ve become a nation of lowlifes.

8. Eric Daniels says:

San Francisco is the logical destination in my opinion because of Mike Singletary and Vick would be perfect for Vernon Davis and Micheal Crabtree as well as the Niners grass field would save wear and tear on his knees.

9. [...] as nothing more than tiny particle in the vast opinionated expanses of the blogosphere. By now, news of Michael Vick’s reinstatement to the NFL with the subsequent suspension of up to 6 games under strict conditional stipulations [...]

10. Tre Tre says:

Do they not realize if the Falcons were to reinstate Michael Vick, that the stadiums would sell out every game? That he is still supported in Atlanta and elsewhere. Damn the bullshit, somebody please get Michael Vick on their team!!