Michael Vick and the Saga of Confusion

Guess spot by ltma of leavethemanalone.

The Michael Vick saga has been bogged by confusion.

Vick was confused and thought it was okay to fight dogs.  Then felt it was acceptable to lie to his employer and fans about it…unsure of how to betray his so-called friends the same way they betrayed him.  Then, he still wasn’t clear that he needed a competent and aggressive legal strategy if he had any hope of beating the federal charges facing him.

But Michael Vick was bogged down in confusion.  Hence his plight.

Arthur Blank was confused and somehow remains convinced that Vick wasn’t critical to his bottom line.  He abandoned the tragic hero of the franchise and moved on with a new, shiny White straitlaced savior.  Yet, Matt Ryan couldn’t make the front page of the local newspaper even if he was a Real Housewife.  The Falcons are selling preseason seats for $6 while the bulk of Falcon fans still have #7 jerseys tucked in their dresser drawers lying in wait.  It’s too early to tell if the bog has completely lifted itself off the Falcons franchise and fan base. Given the history of the franchise, there’s no reason to be excessively optimistic about the future.

Observers have confused undermining the domestication of animals with torture.  Third parties thought it was more beneficial to become fly by night animal activists in lieu of channeling their energy toward the actual plight of human beings.  For some reason, Americans find it easy to form opinions on causes that don’t actually impact them.  Still, in the end, America did not convert to vegetarianism, give up the trips to Sea World, or stop tuning in to the Kentucky Derby.  Confusingly, many people in this country tried to insist that animals don’t exist solely for the convenience and entertainment of human beings.  Or that what Vick did was so inhumane, when the truth is that there is probably more inhumanity in a typical American’s steak dinner.

Even though he’s a free man now, Michael has to be confused by his future prospects.  Should he be satisfied being a back-up in the NFL waiting, hoping, praying for a chance at a starter’s job?  All the while making a low end salary and potentially signing to a two year contract?  Or should he take the same money from the UFL and gamble he can showcase his skills for one season to garner premium compensation from the NFL the following autumn?

But the conclusion to this drama will be simple.  Clear.  Brilliantly decisive in its resolution.

Michael’s future depends solely on his ability to play football.  It is how he will repay his debts…financial and otherwise.  It is how he will emerge from the bog of confusion that ruined his life.

If he is even a glimmer of his former athletic self, the fans will forgive him.  At a minimum, severely discount his middle finger flipping, weed smoking, pit bull laced past.  Things will suddenly make sense in the most primal way.  The fans will marvel at his magnificent abilities and cheer because they won’t be able to help themselves His electric athleticism will get the best of them and the former fly by night activists will suddenly find themselves lifted out their seats and buying season tickets.

Michael Vick will eventually regain endorsements and fame.  But if he can’t play football, Vick will be discarded by society at large for good and that final fall from grace will be swift, decisive and very painful…but he has a chance.  By way of runs, passes, touchdowns and all purpose yards, Michael Vick can emerge from the bog.

And the cloud of confusion will lift.

18 Responses to “Michael Vick and the Saga of Confusion”

It’s very cool that you’re posting here. I’ve read your blog on a number of occasions and always found it enjoyable and enlightening.

I certainly appreciate your ability to cut through all the crap and see the common thread through all of this. Well said.

I dont know why but I couldnt read this post until today. anyway, great read!

Miranda and others, if you have difficulties with viewing the site, please please let me know. Much of it has to do with browser issues. I never have problems because I view it in Firefox. Just shoot me a quick email, so I can get right on it.

Thanks Mizzo! I bet others had the same issue I had, next time I’ll let you know right away.

ltma….I had no idea that the Falcons had a “Roam the Dome” scrimmage game at the Dome today…I live 2 blocks down, right off Northside Drive…I even went out at 3pm, nothing out of the ordinary – there was no indication anything was going on at all. I only found out when I went online after I got home. To state that Arthur Blank was confused about how critical Vick was to his bottom line is perhaps the understatement of the year. OMG, I cannot believe there was a free scrimmage game at 3:30 – there could not have been 100 people in attendance.

Great post leavethemanalone.

Hey Miranda you see even Jesse is saying that NFL teams are in collusion when it comes to Vick.

Good to see the sistas and brothas in the ATL continue to not spend a dime on the falcons.

Apparently Vick’s first interview will be with 60 Minutes.

Miranda whats your view on his decision on interviewing with 60 minutes???

Also have you read this article on Vince Young?

Well I am glad that the AP and the media were kept out.

Origin, I wish Ed Bradley was here to be the one doing the interviewing. That said, my firstchoice would be a sit down with Bryant Gumbel on Real Sports but I understand the desire to reach a big audience and once the date is announced, you can best believe there will definitely be a BIG audience. All of Vick’s haters will have to tune in to “look into his eyes” to determine if he’s remorseful…and he won’t be…and then they can demand he be lynched properly as there will be irrefutable evidence that he is a big mandingo sociopath. LOL, they wanted to do that yesterday, but they got put out on the sidewalk in the hot blazing sun so all they got was a picture of a limo Vick was riding in! LOL

Oh, I have a feeling VY will be starting by mid-October.

Origin:

That’s a long-ass article. I don’t know when I’ll be able to finish.

One point made early in the article is that the Titans have a commitment to Vince Young. I’ve been saying this from jump and had to go back and forth with some folks here about this. Fisher isn’t the problem. Moreover, a franchise that has signed Moon, McNair and Young isn’t trying to dump on Black quarterbacks. That’s not the MO.

In the same way that Chris Simms is gone — so is Norm Chow. Heimerdinger runs a low-risk passing game that features the tight ends and backs in the passing game, but places accents on power running, ball control and time of possession. The franchise (in Tennessee, anyway) was born in the old AFC Central — a division that included Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Jacksonville. Every team in the division shares the same formula — still.

The Titans know what they’re doing and Vince is going to get his shot. He just needs to be cool for a minute and everything will take care of itself.

By the way, VY’s record of 18-11 is very impressive, but we should remember that he lost his first four games and six of his first eight. That means that since he got into a bit of a flow, he has a record of 16-5. That’s absolutely outstanding. It’s not better than 13-3, but it’s very, very good. The Titans know full well that Collins (a 15-year man) is running out the string and VY is being prepared to run the ship.

When Collins leaves, opposing defenses are really going to miss him because VY is going to run them ragged. It’s his world. Time is on his side.

It absolutely made me sick when the overseer Collinsworth actually stated that Vince Young is playing for a backup position and that he’s critically close to losing the number two spot to……

Patrick Ramsey?

GTFOH.

I’m so glad Dungy was in the booth to check his ass at every turn. Dungy is scheduled to be in the booth on varied Sunday nights during the season, so this will get a lot more interesting.

I missed that.

Collinsworth is the worst. Okay, actually Tony Kornheiser is the worst. I expect that sort of thing from CC, though.

I’ll definitely be watching with the volume off. It’s not like he can tell me something I either don’t already know or actually need to hear from him.

Dungy says several teams have inquired about MV7. Not surprising. I still think he goes to a team where the owners and management are strong enough to tell the fans and the media to f%$!! off for awhile.

@mizz

Yeah, i was watching the game last night when Collinsworth went on his rant regarding VY. I was glad Dungy was in the booth to tell it like it is as well.

I don’t think I can take 17 – 20 weeks of Collingsworth doing the color commentary. I may have to resort to turning down the sound and finding the game on the radio. It’s bad enough that I have to put up with him playing the Madden video game(s).

@T3

Yep, it’s a toss up between Kornheiser and Dennis Miller.

GN:

As a football fan, I was insulted that either of those dudes were hired. I haven’t seen the numbers on the league, but it seems to me that based on jersey sales and happenings at local bars, that the smart thing to do would have been to bring a woman OFF the sidelines and into the BOOTH.

What demographic were they trying to tap into? Women don’t like men like Kornheiser and Miller (that’s obvious). And every penny of the old white man dollar has been drained from the NFL for years.

On Madden, turn the Commentary volume either way down or off and PUMP UP the field volume. That way, you can hear the crowd boo you lustily when you call a bone head play. :)

T3,

Yeah, I was insulted AND embarrassed with those two. I have no idea what demographic they were trying to reach.

I have the same sentiments with Collinsworth. What demographics are NBC trying to tap into? I’m sure there are better color commentators than him out there. What is it about Collingsworth that makes him appealing?

BTW…..i’m way ahead of you in turning the volume down (or off) in Madden. :-)

17. Matthew Fudge says:

Wouldn’t it be something if Vick AND VY kicked butt this year?? A long-shot, I know.

Origin, I totally forgot that James Brown was a contributor to 60 Minutes…he’s doing the interview. It airs this Sunday.

If the usual talking points commence, on Monday expect to hear that James Brown threw him softball questions.