“I don’t know when I’ll start again. But I will be the next black quarterback to win a Super Bowl. And I will be in the Hall of Fame.” Step ya game up young fella. No more excuses. Oh…Triple 5 Soul better have something to say about that (on the field). (Esquire)

Falcons 2nd yr. receiver Harry Douglas out for year after knee injury. (AJC)

The NBA, where forced retirement happens. (It’s Just Sports)

After guilty verdict, the career of William Jefferson, Louisiana’s first Black congressmen since Reconstruction, is most likely over. (NOLA)

Illinois sues Wells Fargo for biased lending after state DA says firm charged blacks and Latinos much more for mortgages than white borrowers with the same income – and even with lower incomes. (Courthouse News)

Shyne to be released from the pen in October. (MTV)

10 Responses to “Thursday Morning Starting Five: The It’s Time For Vince Young To Step Up Edition”

VY’s statements would be infinitely MORE credible if he wasn’t sitting like some starry-eyed kid eating popcorn.

That cat needs an AGENT.

If I was his daddy, I’d be kicking his agents ass down the street from now until midnight…and nobody betnot call the po-leece.

That Harry Douglas news is HUGE. I was definitely looking at him in the fantasy draft. He’s a superb up and coming talent. I wonder what they’ll do to replace him on the field. The Falcons have alot of weapons in the arsenal, but Douglas really could have had a break out year with all the attention on Turner, Gonzalez and Roddy White. Too bad.

Wells Fargo — at least they keep it real!! :)

In all seriousness, it’s great that the courts are able to offer some redress in situations like this. And while justice is blind, she is also slow as all heck. It may be too late for some of these families, but this is good news.

McNabb is thinking, “Vince has lost his damn mind.”

ATL gotta give up some chips to Roddy White. He’s holding out and now has mad leverage with Douglas going down.

“And while justice is blind, she is also slow as all heck. It may be too late for some of these families, but this is good news.”

Rings true like Buck getting into the HOF one day bruh.

Re: VY I thought the same thing when I saw the picture. There has to be a level of maturity assumed quick and way faster than Austin blurry.

He always seems like a deer in the headlights off the field.

I think this will be his breakout. Wild to think Leinart, Young and Bush have all underachieved.

The Young and the Restless.

6. Tariq says:

I like Vince. I def think he has Pro Bowl talent. But I don’t think he should be making those types of statements. Not now. He should be humble, especially on the record, in public. If he uses those benchmarks as motivational tools, fine. Just don’t be telling us about them. Especially since he doesn’t even know if he’s going to be playing this season or not. And I also don’t know why he had to bring in the racial component into the equation.

7. Tariq says:

In any case, I hope Vince has a great season and proves the doubters wrong.

8. Okori says:

VY I want you to do well. But how about this? How about keeping your mouth shut? Look……. you are having some people think you are a bust. I don’t thikn you are. I think you got set up by your coach. But act like you know you have to prove something.

9. sankofa says:

Let me hijack this thread for a sec. Rashard Lewis has been suspended 10 games for failed drug test. Of course his excuse was he “…took some over the counter suppliments with ingredients he didn’t know was on the ban list…”

mmmm! yeah! right!

I’m not going to doubt VY but I will state that the next Black QB to win the SuperBowl will be the next QB period to win and that’s Donovan McNabb. I’m throwing down the gauntlet right now and putting it out here for everybody to read that Triple Soul 5 will lead the Eagles to the Lombardi in 2010 to take his place as an immortal in the NFL. Maybe VY and Jason Campbell can fight over being the third Black QB to win it all but McNabb will definitely be the second one.

(Yeah, I drink that green kool-aid religiously).

I hope Jefferson gets the book thrown at him. Just another Black politician who deals in skin politics during election time while kowtowing more to a national agenda that benefits people outside of his district more than it does the ones who voted him in.