Eagles Sign Jeff Garcia

I don’t know who’s more uncomfortable now Donovan McNabb or Kevin Kolb. Whatever the case the Eagles have signed Jeff Garcia (terms undisclosed) as a possible backup to Kolb who is taking snaps with the first team this week. McNabb, who fractured a rib in his lower back is listed as probable but not very likely to play Sunday against the New Orleans Saints.

Garcia played with the Eagles in 2006, finishing 5-1 as a starter to close out the season. Controversy ensued as an injured Donovan McNabb watched as Garcia led the Eagles into the playoffs. McNabb’s mother would label the feeling as “Bittersweet” feeling that her son’s efforts have gone unappreciated.

17 Responses to “Eagles Sign Jeff Garcia”

1. Giel says:

The Oakland Raiders…….the gift that keeps on giving to Philly, the Patriots, Self Loathing, Incompetence,………..GO AL!!!!

“More than likely the scenario is for Garcia to backup Kolb in case of an injury or ineffectiveness (my money is on the latter) only to be released as Michael Vick returns to action in week three or whenever McNabb returns as the starter.”

That’s what I was thinking, too.

Reid and Co. need to pull the plug on the Kevin Kolb Experiment because the kid just doesn’t have it. I don’t know if he just can’t play in Philly or can’t play period but the Eagles’ offense just comes to a screeching halt when he’s in there. Some say he needs to practice with the first team to be effective but I say BS (my favorite word tonight) because he’s paid to be ready to come in at a moment’s notice and run this team whether it’s 1′s or 2′s.

Keep Garcia for the season as the backup behind McNabb with Vick as the No. 3 QB to come in throwing fastballs. Kolb? Send his behind back to Texas.

4. Patrick says:

I agree Harvey. Kolb=not ready for primetime. When he came into the Carolina game, he fumbled twice and lost one of the fumbles. Even though the Eagles won rather easily, Kolb had a opportunity to take control of the offense and the team, and he mishandled the opportunity figuratively and literally. Vick is still studying the nuances of the offense so it forced this move of signing Garcia and with McNabb’s unexpected and nagging injury, I wouldn’t be surprised that Kolb is packaged in a trade along with Hank Baskett out of Philadelphia.

I still believe Vick will play an instrumental role for the Eagles team in 2009, but I forsee Vick playing two or three series a game starting in Week 3 going forward and after WEEK 8, we may see even more Vick if shows that he is comfortable enough with the Eagles system to lead full-time if McNabb is hurt.

Jeff Garcia is a capable back-up, but a healthy Vick gives the Eagles the BEST chance of winning. Garcia had had some nice moments in his career, but so has Jake Delohmme with the Panthers and Chad Pennington, but these guys are well over 30 years (and past their prime) and are not long-term solutions, but should be considered if ‘every other option’ is exhausted.

The Eagles’ schedule for the next five games appear winnable, but I am still a tad skeptical of the Eagles’ defense.

This is still McNabb’s team of course, but if he is hurt, then Vick should be able to eventually step in and lead the team despite many media objections.

Poor Kolb…..if only McNabb hadn’t been injured he could have pulled off that great magic trick like Matt Schaub did. Make no real sudden movements and let your fictional reputation get built by McNabb haters, thereby getting traded and getting a fat contract all because of your smokes and mirrors legend.

6. ronglover says:

The only reason the Eagles haven’t gotten rid of Kolb is because they don’t want to admit that they made a mistake yet. IMO he had his shot against Baltimore, I believe if he had shown anything that day he would be the starter – even if they had lost.

Someone said that he mentioned the speed of the game on Sunday?1?!? That’s lame, the only player who should be struggling about the speed of the game is Vick because of his time away.

Time for Kolb to begin his career as a H.S. Football coach.

And the funny thing is everyone got on Mcnabb for complaining that the eagles drafted Kolb.

Shoot Mcnabb was right Kolb was a wasted pick.

8. Patrick says:

Wasn’t Matt Schaub supposed to be savior in Atlanta and now it is turning out to be he is no more than an injury-prone pretender with the Texans? LOL

Where’s Kyle Boller?

Where’s Joey Harrington?

Where’s Jon Kitna?

Where’s David Carr?

Where’s Sage Rosenfels?

Where’s Matt Cassel?

I don’t watch the Eagles every week, but I don’t see how folks can know that Kolb sucks after throwing left than 100 passes. He’s barely thrown 50 passes in games. I don’t love Andy Reid, but I do think he knows something about QBs. Favre sucked early in his career. So did Drew Brees. I don’t know if Kolb is in their class, but I’m fairly certain its too early to tell. Reid knows something about QBs — so the jury is still out, for me, on the kid.

With that said, I totally agree that the pick could have been better spent somewhere else. I think Reid figured that a kid who can run that Houston system can play in the league because they can read defenses, make quick decisions and get rid of the ball on time. Kolb hasn’t done that yet — and the Eagles passed on the chance to get players like David Harris, Lamarr Woodley, Zach Miller, or even Trent Edwards.

Schaub is injury prone, but he was also 4th in passing yards per game and 7th in passer rating. I’ll take that — if I can keep him on the field.

@T3

I do watch every Eagles’ game no matter where I am in the country and while I grant you that Kolb has next to no regular season experience the thing is that in his few relief appearances he has not shown even the spark of being a prime time QB. Most of us as NFL watchers can tell if a QB has that something to be viable in the league and if they don’t. Honestly and objectively as I can as a layperson I have not seen it. I saw more out of Koy Detmer and AJ Feeley when they were young Eagle QB than I do out of Kolb and they were/are career backups.

Kolb does not have it and that’s the truth that his career will bear out be it in Philly or elsewhere.

I have to take your word for it. I know you guys know your stuff. For the Eagles sake, I hope that you’re wrong. They would be better served if Kolb were to deliver on his promise — as an Eagle or as a trade chip. Given your take on this guy, I wonder what the hell they were thinking taking him in the 2nd round with so much other talent on the board.

My Niners are 2-0 baby!!! YEAH!

Those Niners r 4 REAL!!

I’ll eat the Kevin Kolb humble pie. Good game today.

Ok. I didn’t want to have to say anything. If I makes you feel better, I didn’t take your word for it and put him on my FFL team. He was good for 32 points yesterday. I’m riding the wave until McNabb comes back. I think he should sit until he’s good and healthy — like Week 7 or 8.