NFL Week One Recap and Monday Night Preview

As Philadelphia holds its collective breath on the status of Donovan McNabb, somewhere Andy Reid is thanking his lucky stars to have Michael Vick on the roster. Because once again, backup QB Kevin Kolb failed to convince anyone that he’s ready to replace McNabb.

Niners 20 – Cards 16: The NIners defense is taking the shape of Mike SIngletary. Patrick Willis may be the best defensive player in football.

Falcons 19 – Dolphins 7: Four turnovers became the Phins undoing.

Ravens 38 – Chiefs 24: The Chiefs hung around longer than many of us expected. Ray Rice is gonna be a good one.

Eagles 38 – Panthers 10: Give new Defensive Coordinator Sean McDermott an A for yesterday’s game plan. Next week it’s Drew Brees and the Saints.

Vikings 34 – Browns 20: I agree that Adrian Peterson is the best back in football, but stop the Eric Dickerson comparisons.

Jets 24 – Texans 7: Mark Sanchez did what he was supposed to do; pick his spots, minimize turnovers and relay on what could be a scary defense.

Saints 45 – Lions 27: Did the Chargers really get rid of Drew Brees?

Colts 14 – Jags12: I hope I didn’t jinx Anthony Gonzalez’s season, Colts go to Miami next week.

Cowboys 34 – Buccaneers 21: Tony Romo looked like a new man yesterday. So did Byron Leftwich.

Broncos 12 – Bengals 7: The Broncos went into Paul Brown Stadium and stunned the Bengals, stealing an improbable victory.

Giants 23 – Redskins 17: I’m convinced that Osi Umenyiora is the son of Michael Strahan.

Seahawks 28 – Rams 0: The Rams can’t be this bad…

Packers 21 – Bears 15: So much for the much anticipated shootout between Jay Cutler and Aaron Rodgers. Breaking News: LB Brian Urlacher reportedly out for the season after breaking his wrist.

Tonight’s Games:

Buffalo Bills at New England Patriots 7pm: Looking for how the Patriots approach covering Terrell Owens. Also curious to see how Tom Brady handles pressure up the middle from Marcus Stroud and Aaron Schobel.

Final: Patriots 35 – Bills 17

San Diego Chargers at Oakland Raiders 10:15 pm: As the AFL celebrates their 50th Anniversary, I’m hoping for an old fashioned shootout between two bitter rivals.

Final: Chargers 30 - Raiders 28

15 Responses to “NFL Week One Recap and Monday Night Preview”

How about my 49ers? We’re back baby!!!

The Bills are looking to pull the upset. They’re up by 11 with around 5 mins to play.

That hit on McNabb was some BS especially because a flag wasn’t dropped. I thought the guy who hit him may have been blocked or pushed but McNabb was already down in the end zone when he was hit. Shades of the NFC championship game with the Panthers again getting a late hit on McNabb’s ribs.

Go Bills….yeah, God Brady’s going to come back from a knee injury like it’s nothing, huh?

Buffalo just coughed the ball up and gave NE another chance.

Shades of last season against Dallas, huh, GN?

Bills will win since Pats whiffed on the conversion. Too much time on the clock and that Pats defense ain’t no great shakes.

Excuse me, two years ago

The Patriots are who we thought they were! That’s why we played the damn game! If you wanna crown ‘em, then crown they’re asses!

8. Patrick says:

Bengals losing in the last minute.
    Bills losing in the last minute.
    Raiders losing in the last minute.

I am not a fan of any of these teams, but it is tough to see these perennially struggling teams continue to be snake-bitten.

What is that old adage? Bad teams find a way to lose. I was silently rooting for Jamarcus to lead his team to victory and I thought that pass final play to Louis Murphy for a TD was the clincher, but I reminded myself about the Bengals and Bills’ fate and even the signing of Seymour and Greg Ellis could save the Raiders when they needed a defensive stop the most. Jamarcus had his ups and downs, but his defense let him down in much the same way Leodis McKelvin (a Waycross, Georgia native) drop the ball down the stretch which opened the door wide open for the Patriots to drive straight in and take a sure win away from Buffalo.

9. Patrick says:

Falcons 19 – Dolphins 7: Four turnovers became the Phins undoing.

Chad Pennington was really terrible in this game. It was like a carryover of last year’s playoff performance against the Ravens. Matt Ryan was pressured and didn’t look like Peyton. However, in this game, John Abraham and Mike Peterson were able to make game-changing defensive plays in a relatively low scoring game and Tony Gonzalez make two nice catches to seal the Dolphins fate.

Bill Parcells is not a happy man right now.

10. Patrick says:

I am happy to see Cadillac Williams look like his old self (running over people and getting those extra yards) , but the Bucs’ secondary was scorched two or three times and Tony Romo looked more comfortable with T.O. gone. Leftwich played alright and didn’t embarrass himself, but Raheem Morris need to correct the problems in the secondary. It seems that Talib who was drafted out of Kansas has struggled in coverage and arguing with teammates and coaches.

11. Patrick says:

Vikings 34 – Browns 20: I agree that Adrian Peterson is the best back in football, but stop the Eric Dickerson comparisons.

Adrian Peterson is a force, but how long will it take for Brett Favre get jealous of Peterson’s fame and try to be that ‘gunslinger’ and start throwing game-changing, season-ending INTs? The Jets were 8-3 before the fell out of the playoff race. It’s not how you begin, but how you finish. Why haven’t the Vikings traded Tarvaris yet? Management has been publicly trashing him for two years.

@Patrick

Tony Romo always starts “hot” out of the gate. September – November are his months to shine. However, when December rolls around he starts regressing. I honestly don’t see that changing this year.

I was also rooting for Cadillac. It’s great to see him back on the field doing his thing.

I also agree w/ your take on Farve. He started out playing conservative last year w/ the Jets. After about week 4 or 5, he was back to his ole “gunslinging” ways.

I don’t think Chad Pennington is the answer for Miami. He just doesn’t have the “BIG” arm to go downfield and exploit the Falcons’ weak secondary (or any team’s secondary for that matter). The one time the Dolphins did go downfield was when Pat White came in w/ their wildcat package. He overthrew Ted Ginn, who had at least 3 steps on the closest defender. I think he was too amped up and needed to settle down.

I wonder if Tampa Bay would have been able to beat Dallas if Leftwich didn’t miss a wide open Antonio Bryant for a TD late in the 2nd quarter. Tampa looks good, but they just need a bit more time with one another. If Michael Clayton, Bryant and Winslow are on the field at the same time, they’re going to give people fits. One or two of them are always going to be open.

TBR: I don’t actually mind the Dickerson comparisons. AP is faster and runs meaner. He hasn’t come close to the yardage totals yet, but this will be his first season with a QB as good as Ferragamo (not saying a lot). AP should be able to get over 1,800 yards — maybe more. Dickerson seems to be a much better goal line runner though.

Cadillac and McGahee are unbelievable. I hope that they both find productive careers OFF the field. They’ve both had more than their fair share of brutal injuries.

I think Peterson’s hit on Anthony Fasano has to be the Hit of the Season, so far.