The July 4th Mission

As your friendly neighborhood fitness consultant I have a confession to make. It’s a terrible one but it’s also a sign that I know how to solve a problem once I discover that I have it.

Kevin Levrone.

Just yesterday I woke up, put my cold feet on the floor, and then on the scale. To my great horror I discovered that I weighed in at 267 fat (not phat but fat) pounds. I decided right then and there that this would be the end of it. Knowing that my goal weight is 220 pounds I made a goal for myself. By July 4th of next year I would be 220 pounds, and not just any old 220. I mean a in-shape muscular 220.

So how to do it you ask? Simple. Commitment. Be willing to bust your ass every day to get better. For me that means eating better (and less). Exercising more often.

Also, have a tangible goal. Maybe it’s a physique you want to have for your own. That way, when you’re laboring over your 12th set of smith-machine squats, the knowledge that you are building legs on par with your dreams will push you to keep going. My role model is at the top of the page. Maybe for you it’s being able to see etched abs, or a new personal best time in the pool. Whatever it is push for it. Don’t be worried about what others say. Do your work. Put your time in.

Keep the heat on. Dig down deep. Push yourself to be the man (or woman) you always wanted to be. And by all means, figure out what works for you.

There I’m done. Now go out, get thee to a gym, and start digging. Summer will be here before you know it.

8 Responses to “The July 4th Mission”

1. Christine says:

I had the same realization yesterday! I am determined from yesterday forward to focus on my own fitness goals. Cardio, cardio and more cardio….is what I see in my future. I will be checking TSF for your input. Keep it up! 🙂

2. Okori Wadsworth says:

Christine don’t neglect the iron. What I would recommend for you is high-reps, medium to light weight. That etches detail and burns fat in addition to the cardio.

3. ohsangjin says:

Have you heard of the p90X program? Damn, if you watch cable and flip channels, i’m sure you’ve seen it.

Well, I can’t recommend it highly enough. While it is great to have commitment, it is even better to have a plan laid out for you. All you have to do is follow it, or, as the program itself says to do everyday, “just press play.”

I did it – gave myself 90 days of true commitment – all my old clothes that hadn’t fit for years because I puffed up now fit very comfortably. I can do 20 pull ups when I used to do 5. Every muscle group is both leaner (less fat around it) and bigger. Even more interesting… now a few months later, I gained a little weight back, but the muscle tone is still there and the clothes still fit well. In other words, it allowed me to totally transform my body. What more can you ask for?

I know it’s expensive, but… well, you are clever. Where there’s an internet, there’s a way. All you need are a few dumbells (10, 15, 20 lbs were all I used), a pull-up bar (just bought a cheap one on ebay and hooked it up above the door frame, and a work out space (pushed the coffee table aside each day in the living room in front of the tv). If you want more evidence… check youtube and search “p90x” – testimonials everywhere.

Digging these Okori. I hope the readers heed your word. The time is now. I have to get down get way down myself.

Keep eatin’ them thurr tumbleweeds Christine. You’ll be straight 🙂

5. Okori Wadsworth says:

Mizz…… You’re in Philly. life is hard for this. 2 years ago you were named the fattest city in the United States. I think Miami holds that title now.

if you e-mail me I can get you a serious program together. You’ll be looking less like the stocky member of Jodeci in no time. 🙂

6. KevDog says:

Oshanglin-

I like to lift fairly heavy. I’m 5’6″ 195 lbs. I’ll do Bench Press 225 lbs, 10 sets of 10 reps or squat 225, 3 sets at 25 reps. Dead lift 225 3 sets at 225, 15 reps.One arm dumbell rows 75 lbs 3 reps at 15 reps. And I always do these within a circuit of other exercises. So I’m strong and I’ve always done cardio, 1 hour of intervals on the stairmaster about 3-4 times a week, but over the past few years, I have felt myself becoming just stiff despite a very muscular physique. So I started that Shaun T. Insanity workout a month ago.

I do the workout and then lift about 45 minutes afterwards. I haven’t lost any weight because I like where I am, but my body is far more mobile and less stiff and my balance is much better and my overall fitnes level is much better I think. I plan on doing the X90P early next year, but I’ll always finish off the workout with 45 minutes of lifting. It’s my base.

7. Christine says:

Mizzo….tumbleweeds are for Yosemite Sam….:)

Lol at the stocky member of Jodeci. You have my email address. Hook it up!

Got my guns poppin’ for you girl.