Decided to do something different this week despite the Monday game still yet to be played. Obviously things change a bit if the outcome is different. Philly is making a push, but there is one team that is leaving everyone in its wake. The results first, then the rankings. It’s all subjective. Leave yours in the comments. Prove me wrong Minnesota.

Pittsburgh 23 Baltimore 20

Obviously a win Pittsburgh had to have to keep playoff chances alive. Too much pride up there to go out like a chump. If Pittsburgh gets in, there are capable as anyone.

Atlanta 31 Buffalo 3

Terrell Owens is 6th receiver to 1000 catches. Imagine what he would be doing if he played for a real squad. Where’s he go next year, back to San Fran with Mike Vick? Don’t be scerrred. On the ATL front, the chances are slim but at least they’re still alive.

Carolina 41 New York Giants 9

Jonathan Stewart goes all John Madden sound effect on the Giants. Watching the game there was a 58 yard run that was called back because of penalty. During the run Stewart (204 yds on the ground) was gassed. He very much could have gone for 300 rushing yards against the hapless…yeah I said hapless Giants. What the hell happened to NY? Like you all know, they are 10-11 since Plaxico Burress went down. Telling.

Houston 27 Miami 20

Houston and Carolina are teams we’ll never figure out. So much talent on both sides of the ball but you don’t know what the hell will go down once it’s time to lace ‘em up and start hitting. Houston has a squad and there will be no excuses next season acceptable.

New England 35 Jacksonville 7

The Pats run their home record to 8-0. Too bad they’ll be on the road in the playoffs. R. Moss catches 3 tds.

Cincinnati 17 Kansas City 10

This is the scary squad in the AFC because conceivably they have the talent to go all the way. Pulling out late season wins like this against an inferior team says something, but what that is remains to be seen in the wake of Chris Henry’s death. Chad is stepping up, but we all knew he would.

Cleveland 23 Oakland 9

Just when cats began to break out their We want Eazy Raider hats, they get pimp slapped by somebody’s little brother.

Green Bay 48 Seattle 10

Is it me, or are we all trying to figure out if Green Bay is serious or just perpetrating a fraud? Does Seattle suck as much as this score indicates is the question.

Tampa Bay 20 New Orleans 17 OT

Told you all New Orleans was eventually going to be exposed. Cadillac Williams had his first 100 yard game since the days of white walls and Harlem gators dug the scene. Straight up the middle. TB gashed NO straight up the gut and basically told them so before hand. The big young fella Josh Freeman showed great poise on the game winning drive despite just handing the ball off to Williams. Crazy as it sounds, but I see a Warren Moon/Dan Marino hybrid in Freeman. I thought Josh Johnson had potential, but Freeman is a rock. Raheem Morris saved his job with his initial signature win.

San Francisco 20 Detroit 6

San Fran is winning games they should be winning. When the organization gets the cojones grande and goes after Mike Vick, this team will shake up the NFC, until then, Coach Mike is chasing a headless horseman.

Arizona 31 St. Louis 10

This is a team that somehow because of geography is slipping on and off the radar scope. Anquan is shaking the injury cobwebs off just in time for the show. The thing about the NFC is there is no bad ass defensive unit capable of shutting down anyone and everyone. Arizona because of their scheme and athleticism could put it all together at the right time. The best conditioned teams on the hitting side of the ball will identify who in the NFC is real. Don’t count this team out.

Philadelphia 30 Denver 27

Philly played with Denver in Dawkins’ return. Brandon Marshall never was able to imprint the game like I thought he would and the game was never in doubt despite the score. As Temple and I both said through text message, Maclin’s catch was Holmes/Wallace reminiscent. Donovan threw a perfect pass when he had too and in years past, the Eagles would have lost this game. I’ve wondered aloud if the young receivers would do the damn thing when everyone was watching and with Juke Box taken out of the game, Macklin stepped up. Big. Celek as well. Too many weapons, not enough crime. If Andy ever realizes he has to commit to balance, ain’t nobody beating this team. I tell you what, Donovan better get some MVP votes.

New York Jets 29 Indianapolis 15

Get off Jim Caldwell’s back. He did the right thing. The Colts organization because of their decade long success have one goal in mind and that’s to raise the Lombardi trophy. Relax people. Dude is 14-1 in his first season. Chillllll.

Dallas 17 Washington 0

Two blown replays in Philly set up the showdown in Dallas for the NFC East crown this week. NFL marketing at its best. Jerry Jones is Pacquio/Mayweather loving this. Dallas did what it was supposed to do and shut out the mercy begging Skins on the road. This ain’t the same team of the last few December years. Are they too soft to make a statement and sweep Philly?

Rankings:

1. San Diego Chargers

Angela Bofil of the NFL right now.

2. Indianapolis Colts

Still have Peyton Manning and now he’s mad he couldn’t beat up on the Jets. Caldwell message?

3. Philadelphia Eagles

The poise of Triple Five Soul will show the league whassup..but not yet.

4. Arizona Cardinals

The sleeper in the draft. The team capable of doing it again.

5. Dallas Cowboys

Is Tony Romo for real or real soft like tissue paper?

6. New Orleans Saints

Of course they can turn it around. 13 out of 15 is stellar. Gimmic?

7. Cincinatti Bengals

This team is the joker of the class but now that 15 is gone, the joke’s over. oh OH.

8. Minnesota Vikings (I picked Chitown 23-18)

They better get back to studying 120 or the quick out they will be.

9. New England Patriots

A squad with Brady and Moss still rocks ya socks and has to be included here.

10. Green Bay Packers

Aaron Rodgers and the fam still have a lot to prove to be included in the real rap convo. Just a lot of cussin’ ain’t gonna do it.

23 Responses to “The Starting Five NFL Week 16 Recap and Power Rankings: Right Now It’s San Diego and Philly”

1. ohsangjin says:

You don’t seem to remember that the GB Packers absolutely thumped the Cowboys in a must-win, handled the Ravens easily in prime time, and took a cornered rabid dog of a Steeler team to the wire on their home turf.

They have a record-setting QB, first to have two 4,000 yard seasons in a row to start career, two 1,000 yard receivers, a 1,200 yard RB, a beast of a young TE, and candidates for defensive player of the year (Woodson) and defensive rookie of the year (Clay Matthews).

Doesn’t mean that GB isn’t capable of a big loss n the playoffs (who isn’t at this point? – look at an otherwise great Arizona team a few weeks ago in SF – came out and laid an egg), but damn, a little respect please.

Miz, what did you think of Osi’s post game comments yesterday and what about him in midnight green next year?

Also the home team could use Weapon X down in Dallas this Sunday.

I agree with 1 and 2.

I have to watch the replays of the Eagle games vs. San Diego and Dallas. I wondering if the wins vs. Denver, the Giants (2nd), Washington and Chicago aren’t a little too similar. Mizzo — are you worried about the ability of Philly’s defense to hold off big scoring teams? Now that the center has a torn ACL, I’m putting my money elsewhere. The projected line still hasn’t played together. If McNabb pulls this out, Canton is certain.

It’s interesting that you have Minnesota ranked behind a team they just smoked 30-10. I don’t necessarily disagree, but it is interesting. I’m high on the Bengals, too.

I’m not as high on Green Bay after their loss to the Steelers. Honestly, they needed to win that game. And, while New Orleans may have lost to the Bucs, they didn’t get blown out by them like Green Bay. I still like the Packers — but I don’t love Ryan Grant against teams like Minn. or AZ. I guess we’ll find out about that on Sunday. :)

I still like the Saints — I just think they’re banged up right now. Curiously enough, Malcolm Jenkins has gone from a rookie special teams player to yesterday’s leading tackler.

I think I like Dallas — but I’m not sure yet. It is hard to ignore the effectiveness of their defense.

My Dad said he always thought Jason Campbell wasn’t tough enough and never thought that highly of him as starting QB…..Daddy is right.

Nick Cole is a center playing guard so while the loss is big, I think Jackson has started like 80 straight give or take but they’ll be fine there. I’m not as concerned Philly can’t stop those teams because those teams have to stop Philly as well. Their plus minus in the first have is ridiculous. Straight fast break. I haven’t been in the locker room the last couple of weeks, but it appears most of the team is healthy at the right time.

Andy might have a method to his madness because with so many weapons on the field, defenses can’t know what’s coming. Vick will be healthy. Tracy White and Trent Cole are straight studs right now on D. Something’s in the air and the backers are smellin it.

I didn’t see Osi’s comments and I would love him here. I think that’s all Philly is missing is that cat who could put pressure on the corner. Think a healthy Kearse in this scheme.

The Bengals are there strictly because of Chris Henry’s death. I don’t see as many smiles on the Bengals sidelines and with all that talent, they only needed to focus. The month should be very emotional. If they can sustain an edge, they are dangerous.

Dallas really doesn’t scare me. Donovan always seems to play well there and a healthy Westbrook is a problem.

Crazy, but the Eagles could possibly play Dallas two weeks in a row. That would be just too much.

Here are Osi’s comments, Miz, courtesy of the Newark Star-Ledger:

“What did I play, five snaps today?” said Umenyiora, who was demoted from a starter to a pass-rush specialist after the Thanksgiving loss to the Broncos. “I don’t know, I don’t know what happened. I thought I was the problem. “It’s an unbelievable situation, man. Last game at Giants Stadium, probably as a Giant, just the way everything has unfolded has been unbelievable.”

Sounds like he’s ready to leave and him being back from the ACL after another year would be a good addition.

The Eagles’ D is not overwhelming over an entire game but it is downright scary good when the game’s on the line. Unlike past defenses this team actually stops the run and just like past defenses the pass defense can’t be passed on. The thing where the Eagles are getting away from what they do best is blitzing lately. McDermott needs to trust his LB’s and start dialing up the blitz packages. Beat Romo like a rented mule and the ducks will start flying which will lead to Assante duckwalking down the sidelines with the ball in his hands.

The Eagles need to play their game on both sides of the ball to win in Big D this week and that means sending Maclin and DJax deep with Avant and Celek controlling the middle of the field because Dallas’ secondary can be scored upon by a vertical team playing the way the Eagles are playing now. Pass to set up the run then let BWest, Shady, and Big Len do what they do and it’s game, set, division title for the Eagles made all the sweeter because it’ll be over the Cowboys.

8. Okori says:

If i was a Giant defender i would avoid any of the OG’s who were at the game on Sunday. You might get hurt if you introduced yourself to them after that testosterone-less effort you put on in the FINAL HOME GAME AT GIANTS STADIUM. I would want no one from that crew.

Miranda:

I still like Jason Campbell.

Could you ask Pops to re-evaluate him when he has his starting left tackle, first and second string running backs, starting tight end, and a less predictable offense?

Maybe Pops is right, but it has to be hard running that show.

The Eagles better go after Osi. Straight up. As it’s looking, the team is going to be nice for a while. Make it happen.

11. Okori Wadsworth says:

@Mizzo: I’d investigate Osi. but that is all I would do.

Minnesota is in trouble. AP has to get better at securing the rock.

I cannot believe the Eagles potentially could be the number two seed.

Shut your flippin’ mouth, Miz….LOL!

You know us Iggles fans can’t afford to get too high about this. If Triple Soul 5 and the Eaglets on offense do what they’re supposed to do and Sean McDermott realizes that the late, great Jim Johnson left the defensive blueprint behind for him then they should do what they need to do in Dallas without too much fuss.

Losing Jamal Jackson may hurt but I think Cole and MJG can hold the fort

:x Done fam. I should know better.

T3…Dad said Jason wasn’t tough at Auburn…he’s really not feeling Jason at all.

Dang your dada said that.

Hmmmm I always thought he was tough at Auburn and at washington.

Jason just needs an OL like Temple said. This is the second year that he has played behind a garbage OL. Now if he was a QB like Cunningham or Vick yeah he could make it work. But players like that come around once a generation.

Sadly Jason like many black QBs probably won’t get a second chance as a starter.

If he doesn’t sign with washington he probably will be a backup. Crazy cause he could start on the Rams, Browns, Bills, Panthers, 49ers and Raiders just to name a few teams.

Ouch. He was undefeated, though.

I can’t argue with a dad who has the Auburn lens out. Maybe JC is a lost cause. I just think he could do better in the right system. I think he’d make a nice addition to the Colts.

@ Miranda……….I want to apologize I meant to refer to your father as dad not dada.

I was typing too fast.

Actually, I think Daddy is still mad with Jason for not backing up Donovan when he said black QBs have to do more.

Does anyone else out there notice that Jim Mora and Greg Knapp out there killing what’s left of the Seahawks franchise? Dirt is being thrown over the graves as I type this.

@Miranda

I knew that would happen as soon as Mora was announced as coach. And we all know (especially those of us in Atlanta) that Greg Knapp skills as a Offensive Coordinator has been questioned repeatedly…..and that’s being nice about it. :-)

I don’t really have an opinion on Mora, but…

The Seahawks are playing without Walter Jones. Just about every team that I’ve ever seen play after losing a dominant left tackle has really sucked. (Picture the Rams without Orlando Pace (10th to 28th in scoring) or the post-Boselli Jaguars (from 8th to 21st in scoring).) Once Jones went down, the season was effectively over for the offense. Once Tatupu went down, the season was effectively over for the defense.

There was a moment this season when this team was on the verge of doing some things — following their 41-0 beat down of Jacksonville at home. They were 2-3 and had lost a heartbreaker to the Bears on some missed FGs by Olindo Mare. And they were hosting the Cardinals. BAM! They were flattened 27-3.

“And, as defensive tackle Darnell Dockett put it, the Cardinals “whupped” the third and fourth stringers on the Seahawks’ injured offensive line.” (From NFL.com) That was the game Tatupu was lost for the season.

After that, and without Jones and Tatupu, they lost to a bunch of playoff teams at Dallas, at Arizona (again), at Minnesota, at Houston, at Tampa (not so bad, given their wins over GB and NO), and at Green Bay. And, tp be fair, most of those teams have edge rushers that are having great seasons: Calais Campbell (ARI), DeMarcus Ware, Jared Allen, Mario Williams, Clay Matthews).