Friday Fire: What Do You Rock Eyes Closed…Mind Wide Open?

I can’t lie. I bang Jay Electronica like it’s the end of the world. There are others of course…like the magnificent…Sade but he’s what I’m feelin’ the most right now.

I’m actually upset because I had to reformat my blackberry memory card…deleting 500 tracks in the process. As a result, I won’t be able to listen to Victory is in My Clutches on the way home from Cleveland in few weeks.

Dude is as poetic as he is professional. Sick with his lyrics in a way only a man or woman seeking knowledge futuristic can understand. If you are a man of the times, all that booty chatter and noddin’ ya head to that 22 inch rims wack rap trash, then it’s time to be educated.

I’ll go out on a limb and say I haven’t been this affected by a under appreciated talent since D.O.C. Straight up. Of course, this discussion doesn’t have to be about Hip Hop. I could be jazz, rock, rhythm and blues…just don’t come down the lane with no pop. It will be sent back in ya face. Like Cleveland Cavaliers color analyst Austin Carr says…”Get that weak stuff outta heeeeerrrre!” Will Jay Elect ever drop an album? That remains to be seen, but if what he has out there is any indication of what is to come, this cat is gonna blow holes in the game the likes we might have never seen considering the current state of the game.

Some of Jay’s videos follow.

Drop your science. I hope this develops into a good discussion.

14 Responses to “Friday Fire: What Do You Rock Eyes Closed…Mind Wide Open?”

1. [...] back I thought about doing a small post on the wonder that is Jay Electronica but this morning I read Michael’s post and figured this was more than what I could have offered so I called him immediately (sorry to [...]

2. Tariq says:

Yeah, I’ve been listening to Jay Electronica for a couple of years now. He’s probably the nicest new guy out there. Elzhi is very good. Black Milk is one of the best producers/rappers. Kidz in the Hall. Of course you can’t go wrong with DOOM. And I’ll always have a place in my heart for the Wu-Tang Clan. GZA is probably my all-time favorite MC.

But I noticed that when I’m writing, I can’t listen to rap, because I get distracted by the lyrics. I need to listen to something else. So I listen to the Beach Boys, Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers, Prince, Nirvana, Chuck Berry, Curtis Mayfield, The Beatles (esp. ’8 Days a Week’), Pearl Jam, Guns N Roses, Al Green, Michael Jackson, and …ahem …Eagle Eye Cherry.

3. Tariq says:

Oh and Santana!

Nice. How the hell did you come across Frankie Lymon?

5. Tariq says:

I saw the movie “Why Do Fools Fall in Love” which came out about 12 years ago.

6. Tariq says:

Now if you want me to get into ARABIC music… OH! you want to see something hilarious? I don’t remember if I showed it to you or not. Someone JACKED A BEAT from a dead Egyptian! LOL…

Immortal Technique, TI, and classic DMX when it comes to hip to the hop

Some of everything when it comes to other music but ‘Soldier of Love’ by Sade, the entire album, is getting mucho gusto airplay in my IPOD.

Yeah I remember you showing me that. Crazy how that was flipped into a Hip Hop classic. A dead Egyptian lol

9. Ron Glover says:

@ Tariq, I’m with you on the GZA comment.

10. Jordi says:

I definitely agree with the GZA comments. Same with RZA’s insightful verses (about 50% of his content). I too can’t write with hip-hop on – unless it’s someone like Redman, Meth, or Busta Rhymes – the jokers.

Performers I listen to eyes closed mind open:
    Jimi Hendrix
    Pink Floyd’s “The Wall”
    and a little known rock band called “Sunna” – which is arabic for tradition. They have some really deep songs on their 1st album called One Minute Science. “I miss war/ I miss killing people / I miss the point.”

Other people I have to listen to without much going on as their lyrics are packed (not so much deep – just very narrative): Aesop Rock, Ghostface, and a rock band called Clutch.

I love discussions like this. Mizzo, thanks for introducing me to Jay Elect!

11. Tariq says:

Oh don’t sleep on Meth’s lyricism, man! Bottom line be this: high explosive, not for the average Joseph.

12. Ron Glover says:

Come and get some /hold eight and keep one up in the chamber/ blast wit my middle finger/ nine swordsmen attack like the four horsemen…

And Justice For All!