Donovan McNabb’s Response to Owners Meetings Statements

At the owners meetings in Orlando, Eagles brass said they would entertain offers for Donovan McNabb, Michael Vick and Kevin Kolb. The Eagles are in an enviable position of having a bevy of quarterback talent, but trading McNabb…arguably the greatest Philadelphia Eagle ever…would signify the end of the most successful run in the organization’s NFL history. Donovan’s camp directed me to the following statement when I contacted them after I came across Ashley Fox’s tweet:

Yardbarker:

I was asked to respond to statements made at the NFL owners meetings that the Eagles would entertain offers to trade any of their three QBs. Here is my response:

“My position hasn’t changed. I’ve said all along that I would like to win a Super Bowl and finish my career in Philadelphia.

“I understand the situation well and just hope whichever direction the Eagles decide to go in, they do it quickly. I think that would be best for me, Kevin, Michael, the Eagles, and any other teams involved. No matter what happens, I’ve already begun preparing to have an outstanding season in 2010.”

Since the Eagles have Donovan under contract for the upcoming season, picked up Vick’s option and have a young commodity in Kevin Kolb, I understand their position, but to trade away McNabb when he has a good 4 years left proves that the franchise is all about the bottom line even when winning the Super Bowl is not far from a reality.

26 Responses to “Donovan McNabb’s Response to Owners Meetings Statements”

Ironic that the Saints didn’t match on the Mike Bell offer. For the first time since Ricky Watters left town, the Eagles have a guy who can stiff arm his way into the end zone with regularity.

From a football standpoint, it’s a no-brainer to keep 5. From a business standpoint, it’s a no-brainer to trade 5.

The team hasn’t won a division title since 2006 and has probably peaked. If they’re truly on the backside of the hill, McNabb’s trade value will never be higher and his replacement value will never be better.

Of all the scenarios I can imagine, perhaps none would be more compelling than seeing him go to Denver to play with Brian Dawkins, Terrell Owens and Brandon Marshall. That would be worth the ticket. It isn’t likely to go down that way, but talk about a spike in ticket sales.

There are so many similarities between McNabb and Elway…it would be great theatre.

Like I told Harvey I wouldn’t be shocked if he was traded to the Rams. Dang shame this dude goes to the crappiest team in the whole NFL.

I swear I hope Mcnabb doesn’t agree to a trade to the Rams.

Dude will get killed behind that line. And the lack of offensive weapons.

Just a dang shame. Atleast Mcnair was given the opportunity to go to a winning team in his last few years.

Now Temple you and I know that Mcnabb going to Denver is too right.

Same with him going to the Vikings or Cardinals.

They have no intent of this dude coming back to haunt them. Or set the league on fire. And ain’t no commissioner steping in to ensure that he goes to a decent team, like what happened with Farve.

Yeap this brotha about to get crapped on royaly.

Denver would be a great destination. I guess to Triple 5 Soul, that would be like hitting the lotto.

Why would the Rams sign McNabb? It makes less sense for them to want him than for the Eagles to send him there. The Rams need a lot of pieces. They’d have to give up their best chance to get many pieces in order to get McNabb. AND — their fan base would be ALL OVER them.

Remember that playoff game where McNabb fumbled in St. Louis? Exactly. So do they. I’d be shocked to see him in St. Louis. Bad for the league. Bad for business all around.

The one NFC team that makes a lot of sense to me would be Carolina. With McNabb, that team should be excellent offensively. They already have the most formidable 1-2 rush combination in the league. They have Steve Smith. The question is: What do they have to give up to get a deal done? McNabb might cost them 3 or 4 picks and 1 or 2 players.

If Seattle wasn’t so in love with Hasslebeck (not sure why), it would make sense for them as well. But Carolina would be my NFC guess. We’ll see.

From NFL.com:

“A report of the Rams being in the mix is untrue, according to two sources with knowledge of the situation. Rams GM Billy Devaney later went on record to say that the report was “utterly ridiculous.”

GM’s lie all the time. It’s par for the course. Arizona, Carolina, Denver!

I don’t think that they will trade McNabb (although i’ve said many times that he should’ve left Philly a long time ago). They definitely won’t trade Kolb, because he’s the younger of the three. I think they’re looking at trading Vick and seeing what kind of return they can get for him.

When you think about it, it makes the most sense to keep #5 because he gives the team the best chance to win, as he’s shown over his entire career. The Eagles just have to get better at surrounding him with the right pieces. With Mike Bell in the mix, they finally have that dude who can will his way into the endzone as T3 so eloquently stated.

Instead of trading McNabb, perhaps they need to trade Andy Reid. :-)

In all honesty, I would love to see Vick in Carolina, with that two back system there and throwing to Steve Smith. Sundays at the Georgia Dome would never be the same when he came to town.

9. kos says:

It would be intriguing to see McNabb in Carolina, but can’t see that happen. Carolina would have to give up too much. They’re saying no way that they trade one of their young running backs, and they would most certainly be a part of any trade discussions.

The papers that follow the Panthers are now warming up to the idea that they should have went after Vick last year. DUH! Of course, that’s only after Mr. Bojangles, Jake Delhomme, was busy making an assault on the record books for most interceptions in a season. The management was too chicken sh#$ to pull the trigger because of the backlash they thought they’d get last year. (I.E. the news outlets in NC & SC would have hammered them for getting him.)

kos:

Great points about the Panthers. I don’t know, however, that the Eagles would press for Stewart or Williams now that they have McCoy and Bell. Stewart and Williams are far superior to McCoy and Bell, but given the Eagles needs on defense, I suspect that they’d want one of those young linebackers and a pick or 2.

Harvey:

I am not at all convinced that the Eagles actually want to WIN a Super Bowl. I think they want to have a competitive, fiscally sound team. This team is more committed to how it looks, rather than getting it done.

There won’t be any heat on the team for trading McNabb until Kolb and/or Vick fail to win big games OR if McNabb goes to a contender and wins a Super Bowl before the Eagles do. What are the odds of that in your estimation?

Can Kolb/Vick take the Eagles to the playoffs next year? Dallas, Minnesota, Green Bay are probable playoff teams. I’d say the book is wide open for everyone else including the Giants and Saints. I expect Arizona to fall back. SF may step up — but how much? Washington, Chicago, Carolina, Atlanta, Seattle — none of these teams are significantly better or worse than the Eagles.

I think some of this is on the minds of Eagles management. It doesn’t make sense to guys like Torry Holt and Solomon Wilcots (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d817223a8/Holt-Not-so-fast). Who knows — maybe Vick will get traded for picks to Carolina.

11. Ron Glover says:

The funniest thing would be if two teams blew the Eagles out of the water with deals for McNabb and Kolb. Would they make both deals or one and which player would be dealt?

It’s really a GREAT situation for them to be in. Keep the faith, bird fans.

@#@^$&@*^#@^*&@!!

LOL@mizz……

Don’t blow a gasket, bruh. :-)

He didn’t say anything we haven’t said for years.

True. He did, however, completely ignore the business side of the equation.

17. mapoui says:

somebodt said trade andy reid. best thing I heard all day!

NFL.com is saying the Rams and Cardinals are out of the running. So, that leaves Minnesota, Carolina, San Francisco, Oakland, and Buffalo — among others. The only team that isn’t an instant Super Bowl contender with McNabb is Buffalo.

The Raiders beat Philly and Pittsburgh (among others) last season and have tons of talent on offense and defense. This is going to get interesting.

I’d like to see him in San Fran as well as Minny Nice of course. Singletary, Vernon Davis, Crabtree and Gore? Monster.

That would be nice as well.

I just don’t want him going anywhere without a power running game. Actually, the good news is that no team seeking his services is without some serious talent at the RB position. Even Buffalo has Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson.

I have a song in my IPOD by the Stones called ‘Play With Fire’ and that’s appropriate for what the Eagles’ front office is doing now. Yeah, they’re holding an ace and two kings but deal that ace wrong and those two kings won’t help squat. McNabb is a franchise QB with still five years left at a high level and for the Eagles to seriously flirt with trading him away for nothing comparable IMO is foolishness.

The Eagles may not be trying to win a SB but I doubt #5 feels that way and if the team slips and puts the needed talent around him with clutch coaching I still think they can win it all this upcoming season. Take Donnie Mac out of the equation and this will not happen for the forseeable future. I said it in January that I’d still be an Eagles fan but if Triple Soul Five lines up under center for another team I’ll be right there in the Linc wearing his new team’s jersey and dare any ignorant Level 700 transplant to jump crazy at me.

FLY EAGLES FLY!!…dammit

Wow….the Eagles send McNabb to the skins for draft picks. I didn’t see this one coming.

Check the piece I wrote family. I’m done with them. I’m boycotting Sal’s…