Mike Brown Fired As Coach of Cleveland Cavaliers

You knew it was coming and we initially posted it here.

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Mike Brown was relieved as head coach officially today.

He was fired because Dan Gilbert feels the Cavs has regressed this season after last year’s disappointing loss in six games to the Orlando Magic. The Cavs lost to the Celtics in the EC semis in 6 games after taking a 2-1 series lead.

Brown made the playoffs in each of his 5 seasons with Cleveland, won the most games in the NBA the past two seasons (66 and 61 games respectively) and was NBA Coach of the Year in 2009.

Was there dissension between Brown and LeBron James?

LeBron wanted to run…has said so publicly and campaigned for J. J. Hickson to get more burn during the Boston series. I guess we’ll never know how much LeBron’s free agent status came into play with this decision. Dan Gilbert knows he has to keep James in the fold so the franchise maintains it’s worth and it appears he’s doing everything he can as owner to make that happen.

The roster was flawed and I personally feel no coach was capable of defeating the rejuvenated Celtics with the Cavs roster. Shaq was injured late and not the same player. Mo Williams and Antawn Jamison just weren’t the answers. Period.

Question: How are Mike Brown and Mike Woodson relieved after steady and consistent progress but there doesn’t seem to be rumblings (as loud) about the status of other coaches who have no where near the success as Brown and Woodson?

12 Responses to “Mike Brown Fired As Coach of Cleveland Cavaliers”

1. TC says:

This is part of the “first is the winner, second is just first loser” mentality that I find is destroying America. The Cavs have brought a lot of joy to Cleveland and to people around the world and yet supposedly Mike Brown’s stewardship of the team for the past few years is so inadequate that he deserves a pink slip? What does Gilbert think the Celtics are going to do? “Oh, Mr. James? Yes, ESPN wants you to win a championship? Oh sure, step on our neck. Would you like anything else?” Seems GMs need to take a grad school history course and learn a word that we’d always hear called “agency”. Everyone has agency-power over their fate-and the Cavs aren’t going to win as though the Celts didn’t have agency.

2. TC says:

To me, it always seems coaches get too much credit when their teams win and too much blame when their teams lose.

Mike Brown sounds like Chrysler: “That damned GM.”

Is Ferry next?

I don’t think anyone who saw the Cavs/Celtics series can deny that Mike B was out coached by Doc Rivers. I think that he should’ve have learned from the Cavs Finals appearance back in ’07; Hire an offensive assistant because he is not an offensive minded coach. His inability to game plan and adjust offensively costed him his job. I can’t and won’t try to defend him.

@T3

I think Ferry will hang around as long as Matt Millen before he loses his job. ;-)

5. Jerold Wells Jr says:

Ferry SHOULD be next, along with Otis down in Orlando. Id rather see both of them gone instead of the two coaches. I know SVG still has a job but if he gets swept……

Playing arm chair GM is a breeze, and hind sight is crystal clear. I find more fault in the players brought in to win the Cavs a title than I do with how those players were coached.

LeBron needed a point scorer on the wing more than he needed a stretch four.

After all the player movement there is still one guy on that roster that can get his own shot. LBJ

Thats not on Mike Brown. Thats on Danny Ferry.

Im sure Brown lands on his feet. Good coaches usually do.

I spoke about this in the initial release that Brown was fired. You guys are missing that John Kuester was that offensive mind. Kuester was hired away by Detroit. The Cavs lacked consistency on the offensive end and Kuester was the guy who molded it all together. There are very few offensive minds in basketball. One of the most notable is Flip Saunders. After Kuester left, there was no one to replace him.

When you’re the HEAD COACH, you’ve gotta do what you gotta do. If that means snatching $250k out of your own wallet to pay Gregg Williams to come in and coach up your defense, then that’s what it means.

mizz,

Kenny Natt was the assistant/offensive coach of that Cavs 2007 Finals team. He was there from 2004-2007. Kuester came to the Cavs after they made that Finals appearance. Was Kuester that impressive as a offensive coach? I don’t think so, but that’s just me. However, I will agree that there are not that many offensive minds in the league.

I’m going by what the players tell me fam. He did come up with sets where LeBron could go off in the post during the Orlando series late in games.

I feel you bruh.

11. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Roy Pickering and Arun Sundar C, Lebron James. Lebron James said: Mike Brown Fired As Coach of Cleveland Cavaliers | The Starting Five: 3 Responses to “Mike Brown Fired As Coach of… http://bit.ly/aH5UQZ [...]

12. mapoui says:

I have been watching basketball for years and years but I am nowhere as technically capable as the members here.

let me tell you guys I really enjoy the subject selection and reading your comments on them all.

it is really impressive, informative!