From now on, when I write his name it shall read BEans [sic]

How the hell can a team shoot 27-83 (.325) from the field, 25-37 (.676) from the line and 4-20 (.200) from Inglewood and win the NBA Championship?

You got me, but your eyes aren’t deceiving you. Kobe and co. really did it. After all the Lakers have been through this year, they now are the wearer of the rings. Congratulations to the Lakers, the city of Los Angeles and Lake Show fans.

Let me have a second…

I was texting back and forth with Ron Artest’s publicist around 5:00 am and I could sense her incomparable happiness. When I sat down with him a couple of years back, Ron envisioned this moment, but I don’t think he really understood it. At the time he was with the Sacramento Kings and he would make another stop with the Houston Rockets before he ultimately became a NBA Champion with his current team, the Lakers.

Say it with me Ron. You. Are. An. NBA. Champion!

Vindication my man. You did it! So much has been said all these years and in your biggest game since that game…yeah that one…you stepped up and were the difference maker in a Game 7 Los Angeles Lakers victory. You had 20 points, 5 rips and 5 steals but of those 20, there were none bigger than that dagger three. Wow. You feel apart of something don’t you?

I’m proud of you fam. Trust I’ll be in touch.

Back to the beat…

This was a tough series. Nothing soft about it. The officiating left something to be desired but all in all these are the two teams that belonged. The Celtics were trying to do the unthinkable…beat the three teams with the best records…but ran out of gas on their way to doing something special.

Straight up…Kendrick Perkins’ loss was HUGE.

He battles inside in ways not in the final box score. Pau Gasol had 19 and 18 rebounds. KG couldn’t do it alone and Rasheed Wallace’s back was giving him problems just when he didn’t need it. He did have 11 and 8 boards.

The Lakers shoot 29 percent in the first half and win?

Boston came to play. Sheed seemed he would have a big game after being awarded the start in Perk’s stead. Pierce was only 5-15 for 18…though he did have 10 rebounds. Kevin Garnett went for 17, only 3 boards and 4 blocks. So so I’m sure by his admission.

Sending the Lakers to the line 20 times in the fourth quarter was epic.

Ray Allen was 3-13 for 13 and shot a horrid 2-7 from Beantown. He laid an egg. Straight up.

Rajon Rondo went for 14, 10 dimes and 8 rebounds. Dude conceivably could be an MVP candidate next season. He made a big three late without looking at the basket (when he stepped to the corner) on a shot you knew was going in.

Derek Fisher stamped his name on this series and had 10 influential points. He made a big three in each half.

Kobe Bryant…I’ll have more on him next week in a piece titled: The Fifth Evolution, Kobe Bryant and the Strangers of Hate (5 part series). The Finals MVP did what it took despite shooting a terrible 6-24. He was 0-6 from behind the arc. If you would have showed me that line before the game, I would have said the Lakers lost.

He began to pick it up late and while he didn’t have a good shooting night, his 15 rebounds were s big as any stat in this game besides the final total.

He’s had to watch as less than deserving MVP candidates prance around with his mantle pieces but there are now 2 MVP of the Finals trophies he’d gladly take over any regular season accolade.

You could see the relief on his face. He gave props to his teammates…especially Pau Gasol…and knew he couldn’t do it without them.

Andrew Bynum was 1-5 and had just 2 points. The rebounding edge in the Lakers favor, 53-40, won the game. I was a little miffed the officiating crew allowed the teams to beat each other up in the first half. I’m really surprised there actually wasn’t a fight, but both teams held it down because of the stage they were most graciously on.

Phil Jackson and Doc Rivers went back and forth on adjustments but it was Rivers who had the better series. His calls out of timeouts usually led to scores and the defense he thew at Kobe Bryant was relentless.

Jackson gets his 11th ring and is now primed for his fourth threepeat?

Crazy.

Kobe gets his 5th. Trust he’ll celebrate this one just a little while longer but you know he’s coming for you Mike.

Seems like we were here last year…maybe we’ll be here again…you never know.

I guess I was wrong. That’s why they play the game.

Boston
- 23 53 11 3 7 11 19 83
Officials: Joe Crawford, Dan Crawford, Scott Foster
Attendance: 18,997
Time of Game: 2:47
Technicals
Boston
- P. Pierce (1:22 – 2nd Qtr)
LA Lakers
- R. Artest (1:22 – 2nd Qtr)

Anthony Carter starts it off! This presser is as real as it gets. You will be entertained…

Ron Ron…It’s Yours!!

12 Responses to “The Los Angeles Lakers Outlast the Boston Celtics in Game 7 to Win the NBA Championship”

Artest won that game last night…and dictated the course of the series with his stellar defense on Paul Pierce. Artest’s offense was not always available, but he is running a new system — and this was his first playoff season with the Lakers. The thing that we all know he can do is defend — and he made Pierce work harder than any other player in the league.

The addition of a Rodman-Artest figure on a Phil Jackson team has always spelled D-O-O-M for opponents. Karl Malone had to deal with Dennis; this was Pierce’s turn. Next year, these guys will probably add a “Ron Harper-type” and go the Bulls single-season win record and a 3-peat.

Imagine the Lakers abandoning the Bynum experiment and investing in a Bosh and a Joe Joe for the 70-win Mojo.

2. KevDog says:

Hell no. We don’t need Bosh. I’ll gladly take Bynum. When healthy, he’s a 20/10/3 guy if he doesn’t have to share the ball with Gasol. And his length and size alongside Gasol makes the Lakers unbeatable when it counts. And when he isn’t healthy, he learned to man up and give what he got. Nah, somebody else can have Bosh.

Yeah, 70 would be nice, but nothing is nicer than LOB’s.

You doing ok Bruh?

3. mapoui says:

I am kind of sad. I desperately did not want jackson to get another one. but I am happy for kobe, the greatest NBA basketball player at this time.

not Lebron but KOBE!

I am alos happy for Ron Arteste a player I do not like but respect. artest has had a hard time in the league has a personality I believe I understand to be sincere one, the type that can be believe and be hurt in the process.

whatever he tamed Pierce for the most part and in addition put up some great ofense last nioght that helped out the laker cause immensely

there isnt much else on the lakers I like save perhaps Odom. Gasol has the whole refere corps on his side. I can never like a player when that develops.

among many things Gasol blatantly fouled Garnet last night and they called it a block

altogethjer a pretty good finals! the defence last night was sensational.

if I have a real complaint its about the officiating. I dont like basketball referes. they are for the most part, the pits

4. Big Man says:

I’m sad for the Celtics man. They played so hard and had a genuine opportunity to win. I don’t understand why Doc kept force feeding Pierce in the post and Ray off screens. I thought KG and Sheed were giving the Lakers problems, but maybe they were too tired or something.
    I”m happy for Ron. His press conference was epic. I love how he’s soaking up the moment and just enjoying it completely. I love his honesty and desire. And, I love being right since I told this cat that Artest was a better player that Fisher and would be more of an impact player. lol.

Congrats to Kobe he deserved it.

I like mapoui have no love for Phil or Gasol………so they still get no love in my book.

Temple yes Artest showed up at the right time. Glad that dude was able to over come and come through. He desreved it also.

Last I doubt Bosh will be with teh lakers. They just don’t have enough in a sign and trade to offer Toronto compared to a team like the Rockets. Unless they get the Stern special hookup………hey its the NBA so anything can happen.

But on the real this team is already loaded and Bosh and Gasol are darn near the same type of player. Neither dude is fit to play center.

The Lakers main enemies are lack of PG, mileadge and injuries. I hoghly doubt they make a run at 72 games. One of the reasons the Bulls were able to do that was because the 2 seasons before the bulls were knocked out in the second round. So less playoff games on those bodies. Plus MJ had only played a total of 16 regular season games plus like 11 playoff games in 2 years.

This Lakers team will have had 3 straight trips to the Finals. Thats a lot of miles on those legs. Plus the west will be even deeper next year and all those young teams Memphis, Portland and Oklahoma now have more experience.

Not to mention Kobe and Bynum are going to need knee surgery in the offseason. Nope I highly doubt they get to 70. Now 60 wins yeap they will get there. But history shows that teams shooting for a 3 peat almost never have home court in the conf. finals or finals.

Add to that Miami and Chicago are going to be in an all out nuclear war for Lebron, Bosh, Amare, Boozer and Johnson. Man if Kobe thought winning this last one was tough………what till he tries defending this title trying to get a 3 peat. With a body thats slowly breaking down.

Like I always say age always catches up with these dynasty teams in NBA. The Bull and MJ got lucky in that Reinsdorf broke them up before age caught up with them.

Yeah, KD.

I’m doing just fine. My boy ‘Sheed played hard. I just wish he’d have been in better shape to hold up against Pau Pau and the rest of the LA Mau Mau.

When Boston was up 13 and Kobe was missing the broad side of the barn, I was feeling like Isaiah (the prophet), but then Ray Allen started fumbling, stumbling and bumbling and I started feeling like Isiah (the cast off coach of the NY Bumblebockers).

What can I say? I lost one ‘a’ when Ray lost his way. After he missed that finger roll and I yelled at the TV, I knew I had gone too far. :)

@Big Man:

WORD. Last night shouldn’t have been about Pierce and Allen. It should about whomever was scoring the rock and making things happen. That was clearly KG on the dribble drive vs. Pau or Odom or whomever AND Rasheed on the block vs. Pau or Odom or whomever.

7. sankofa says:

T3 and big man. If they were going to get Piece involved, they should have kept him going in that pick and roll and let LA pick there poison (a pass to the cutter or drive or pull up for the shot).

People tend to forget that Allen was/ is as much a scorer as much as a 3 point shooter and I think both he and Doc forgot that. He could have caused trouble for Kobe and Fisher if he had gone to the basket more often. Plus I wonder if all that running wasn’t messing up his legs on jump shots.

I thought the difference though would have been KG and Rondo. The referees weren’t having KG school Gasol and Rondo SHOULD have been in attack mode. He would have caused all kinds of wreck.

The Celts in the end fell more out of character than the Lakers and it cost them that 13 point lead. I will give Pau that 18 boards and 19 points, but when you are 7 feet tall whoever you are, you should get at least 6 rebounds by accident. Some 7ft tall robots in the league don’t even get that by design.

So I guess the story will be Gasol saves Kobe’s legacy. Not about the Lakers as a team, which was bemoaned in many quarters to this point. Never the less, it was a good series despite the reffing and I think the Celtics should do right by Allen, cause he has earned it.

As for Kevdog, I am a Bosh fan, but I agree with you, Bynum can be a special player, but he needs to eat his vegetables, go work out with Kobe and stay away from the play boy mansion. Bosh is not the right fit for this team, unless they scrap that old ass triangle. However, I qualify this by saying, if I could look in a crystal ball and see Bynum breaking down, I’d ship him to Toronto with Luke and the pop gun (vucjavic ) for Bosh and scrap that triangle. The problem is that the triangle affords Phil the Luxury of hiding his lack of in game coaching skills.

Now on the the Free agency

8. Big Man says:

Temple
    My homeboy, a serious Celtics fan who refused to watch the Lakers celebrate, said that it’s been a recurring this season where Doc will go away from the hot hand to stick with his system. It’s obvious Doc is really not a fan of “hero” ball, so I can see that, but I think he just out thought himself.
    I think he figured that Pierce is his best offensive player, and when they got that 13 point cushion he wanted to use Pierce to milk clock and get to the line or get buckets. Ron-Ron just stepped it up. Dude went into lockdown mode, and with the refs letting them play physical, that was that.
    But, KG was killing Gasol on the face up and the only time Gasol stopped him was that obvious foul that the refs missed. Other than that, Gasol had notthing for KG. The Celtics missed Perk and the breathers he cost Sheed and Garnett because I think if they would have had more rest, Doc would have gone to them more.

“The Celtics missed Perk and the breathers he cost Sheed and Garnett because I think if they would have had more rest, Doc would have gone to them more.”

“If they were going to get Piece involved, they should have kept him going in that pick and roll and let LA pick there poison (a pass to the cutter or drive or pull up for the shot). ”

Bigman and Sankofa………….thats what I was saying yesterday.

10. KevDog says:

Just want to say.

To all those who doubted this Laker team’s mental, physical and emotional toughness.

STOP!

This championship was won by defense and toghness and determination.

PERIOD.

Brotha Kevdog………..I have to agree on that.

12. [...] the lack of rings to his pedigree, LeBron has virtually replaced the names of Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade from the lips of fans who know they both have won [...]