What Was The Best Fatherly Advice You’ve Ever Received?

In honor of Father’s Day, I would like to hear some of the wise words that came from your father or another strong male figure in your life. It can be something that we’ve heard before or something unique. If you can, give us a time where you had to fall back on those words to get through a situation.

My dad always told stories that held a lesson, There was one about him skipping school and running into a neighbor on the train, going home and still lying to my grandmother about going to school after she got the word long before he came in. Or the time my uncle Sam got caught smoking weed by my grandmother and she asked him to roll one for her because she wanted to smoke too, and he was rolling -diligently until the baseball bat came from behind the door. He would always say don’t be like me, be better than me, if there was such a thing, I would never say it or think it. How can you be better than someone who taught you just about everything you know?

One of the most important things he said to me was on my graduation day – he told me to go as far as far would take me. And even though sometimes I feel like a part of my life stopped when he passed 18 years ago, I’ve always kept pushing through everything.

Now far doesn’t seem so far away.

Happy Father’s Day to all the Fathers.

23 Responses to “What Was The Best Fatherly Advice You’ve Ever Received?”

1. Tariq says:

My dad always tells me that I spend too much time worrying about things that will reveal themselves to be ultimately inconsequential in the long run. He says all I can really control is this: I can either give myself an ulcer or not.

My Pop being the playa that he was gave me this piece of advice. A few years ago there was a lady I dealt with who said I had got her pregnant but she didn’t want me to have anything to do with the kid. I told my father about it and he game this sage advice:

If a woman says you the father of her baby but she doesn’t want you to have anything to do with it then run the opposite direction as fast as you can and don’t look back.

After picking my mouth off the floor I didn’t take his advice but the kid wasn’t mine. I remember this though because my father kept it straight no chaser all the time.

3. KevDog says:

I never had a father to give any advice. But the best piece of fatherly advice anyone personally gave me was a Chemistry Professor I had who, when I had some struggles with an advanced physics class, told me that a certain point, we all run into a nemesis that threatens our view of self. Mine was that course. He told me that it is how we respond to THAT challenge that will determine how we respond to challenges from there on out.

I spent the trimester in the library, day and night.

I got my “A.”

When I got to Stanford Med. I had no fear of anybody, or anything academically.

HD-I know how painful it is when a child grows up without a father. The wounds grow deep and in many ways never heal.

If my now 12 year old son were to tell me that someone said they were pregnant with his child and they didn’t want him to have anything to do with the child, I’d tell him to find out by any means necessary if it were his child and if it were, to fight for his right to be a father.

4. Kwami says:

Mine was this: play basketball son, because the brotherhood just ain’t no good at soccer.

5. KevDog says:

“kwami”- I think you just sealed your fate.

“Kwami” “Kwaku” and whoever the hell else you are the brothas have spoken…be peace.

7. KevDog says:

Don’t let the door hit ya……

Wow, just wow at the Kwalude.

I feel ya, KD, about that bit of advice my father gave me and I’m glad I didn’t take it. He and I had our differences and he wasn’t my idea of what a father was supposed to be when I was growing up but he was a role model to do the opposite of what he did. That’s why I fought and continue to fight for my son because like I tell my friends whether the kid loves me or hates me when someone asks him who is father is he won’t be able to think twice about it and he’ll always know that I was there.

9. Ron Glover says:

Yo, WTH is up with Kwalude???

Nothing now. He’s thrown out like Uncle Phil did Jazzy Jeff.

11. Big Man says:

1. Just because there is silence, doesn’t mean you have to find words to fill it.
    2. You don’t have tell anybody you’re a man. Just act like one.
    3. Why follow when you can lead.
    4. I’ve never see the righteous forsaken nor their seeds begging bread.

12. Ron Glover says:

@Big Man #4 is a verse that my mother lives by and I can say firsthand that it’s true. And not for any good that I have done.

There was a well known Black sports commentator on TV when my Dad and I turned it on after moving it one Saturday morning….

Pop: “You know what assimilation means?”

Me: “Yeah of course.”

Pop: “Don’t become it or I’ll jack your jaw.”

Me: …

I know I’m late but Happy Father’s Day guys!!!

15. KevDog says:

LOL.

1. “The wisest is the listener and not the talker”

2. “A fool and his money are soon parted”

3. “Work smart not hard”

4. “A man without a plan isn’t a man”

5. “Its easier making a living using your brain then using your brawn”

6. “You want to keep a happy home, you keep the woman of the house happY. If she isn’t happy no one that house will be happy either”

7. “A man who makes babies but doesn’t take care of them is a Chump”

Man pops is always droping one liners.

“Call home”.

LOL @ Mizzo’s Dad!

Yeah Mizzo dad rolls hard……….LOL!!!

What up Miranda and Michelle.

20. Matthew Fudge says:

“If you don’t care of yourself, no one else will.”

“You need to get (your stepdaughter) to respect you. If you don’t, she’ll walk all over you, then she’ll wind up hating you.”

21. Matthew Fudge says:

“Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth closed.”

22. Matthew Fudge says:

“Sometimes, the best thing you can say is, “No comment.”

23. MODI says:

“Yes dear”

No other advice comes close.