Jesse Jackson vs. Dan Gilbert: Bomani Jones Speaks My Language

I was very disappointed The Decision garnered immensely more national attention than the Johannes Mehserle verdict and find it utterly disgusting the conversation devolved on all fronts when a much larger racial issue was developing in Oakland.

How is this relevant you ask?

When Blacks think racism, we think death. Oscar Grant died. LeBron James did not.

The main issue is how Dan Gilbert’s emotion could potentially ignite some crazy ass backlash against a 25 year old kid simply controlling his own interests.

Did you notice LeBron’s face when ESPN showed the burning jerseys? He was shook. He has a family people. Get with it.

Jesse was just doing what he does and if he didn’t interject where would the conversation be right this very second?

I can’t speak for Whites but I will say as soon as race is pushed to the fore, some folks tune everything out and begin making excuses why race isn’t a factor before deciphering what is factual and what is not (I’ve been writing a piece but I’m taking my time to ensure my thoughts are right and exact).

Absurd reaction from our Romanesque society and the subsequent letter from Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert exemplifies that sentiment.

Cleveland has a right to be upset but Dan Gilbert must understand who he is and judge his emotions accordingly instead of pandering to the emotions of a fan base very angry and sad.

Dan Gilbert’s letter was written with money in mind. Period. Gilbert has made at least 100 million during Lebron’s career owning the Cavs.

Cash cow LeGone.

Bomani Jones gets it right and is very eloquent stating what is being missed by a mainstream most definitely afraid to talk about slavery in any instance. Props Bo. We don’t see eye to eye a lot of times but I stand with you here.

19 Responses to “Jesse Jackson vs. Dan Gilbert: Bomani Jones Speaks My Language”

1. KevDog says:

As much as I despise the way in which LeBron made a fiasco out of his decision, and as much as I just dislike him, I have to agree that the racial aspect of the events in the immediate aftermath cannnot be ignored and Dan Gilbert was even more wrong than LeBron because he did, in fact, put LeBron’s life in danger.

And Jesse Jackson has an absolutely valid point. None of us knows how Gilbert actually views LeBron, but to dismiss the possibility that he does indeed view him as property is ridiculous. That would fly in the face of everything we have ever learned about this country.

2. KevDog says:

Damn!

Jst watched the video. Bomani riped shit up.

Great article.

And brotha Bomani put it down. I try to listen to that brotha on the radio or podcast whenever I get a chance.

Folks may not agree with Jessie but he spoke the truth and white america knows deep down inside he spoke the truth too. Funny how in a country we can acknowledge sexism but not racism.

How we can talk about the founding fathers but ignore slavery.

I am so glad Bomani held there feet to the fire on the points that Rev. Jackson pointed out.

The response of Dan Gilberts and many of the fans and media throughout the country was a perfect example of white Entitlement/Privilege.

4. mapoui says:

way to go KevDog. you on the money right there!

I wish however somewhere along the line you will find soom room for LBJ

5. KevDog says:

MP

I don’t like LeBron for many reasons and I probably never will. But until today, I had not seen the footage of Wilson interviewing LeBron as LeBron watched the footage of people burning his Jersey.

No black person should ever have to see that.

NEVER. NEVER. NEVER

What’s the word the young guys like to put out when someone got handled in a debate on the ‘net? Oh yeah, PWNED!!

Pwned is what Bo Jones did to his panel opposition especially when he called them on their straw man, pinata…priceless. He was right though and I’d like to know how if a person of color brings up racism they’re automatically wrong? Like racism can only be validated by the larger, read WHITE, society?

I’ve never had a problem with Rev. Jackson because I know for all his sins like any other man in this world he’s been out there on the front lines fighting for his people for almost 50 years. Those who think all he does is bring rhetoric are sadly mistaken because like Brother Jones said if you assume that’s all he is he’s played you. Jesse said what I know I thought immediately when I heard about Gilbert’s letter and he wasn’t wrong for saying it. I posted on SOMM that I could understand Gilbert and LBJ’s Ohio fans’, the Cavs have no real fans, disappointment but those comments and actions were foul and offensive. Just like you don’t wave a Nazi flag in an Israeli’s face, don’t try to hang or burn a Black man in effigy and think that it’s just fans letting off steam. No, it’s not because it’s a short journey from hanging in effigy to dragging someone behind a pickup truck or burning down a rural Baptist church or a mosque in the inner city. The Jews subscribe to the of Never Again and as a Black man so do I because I’m going to do my little bit to make sure my people are not dragged back to the days of lynching or Jim Crow because it’ll be more than just angry words on a screen if that happens.

7. KevDog says:

HD

You’re as right as rain.

As to the question you posed about who has standing to call something racist, Professor Derek Bell addressed it in his “Rules of Racial Standing.”

FIRST RULE
    The law grants litigants standing to come into court based on their having sufficient personal interest and involvement in the issue to justify judicial congnizance. Black people (while they may be able to get into court) are denied such standing legitimacy in the world generally when they discuss their negative experiences with racism or even when they attempt to give a positive evaluation of another black person or of his work. No matter what their experience or expertise, blacks’ statements involving race are deemed ‘special pleading’ and thus not entitled to serious consideration.

SECOND RULE
    Not only are blacks’ complaints discounted, but black victims of racism are less effective witnesses than are whites, who are members of the oppressor class. This phenomenon reflects a widespread assumption that blacks, unlike whites, cannot be objective on racial issues and will favor their own no matter what. This deep seated belief fuels a continuing effort – despite all manner of Supreme Court decisions intended to curb the practice – to keep black people off juries in cases involving race. Black judges hearing racial cases are eyed suspiciously and sometimes asked to recuse themselves in favor of a white judge – without those making the request even being aware of the paradox in their motions.

THIRD RULE
    Few blacks avoid diminishment of racial standing, most of their statements abot racial condidtions being diluted and their recommendations of other blacks taken with a grain of salt. The ususal exception to this rule is the black person who publicly disparages or criticizes other blacks who are speaking or acting in ways that upset whites. Instantly, such statements are granted ‘enhanced standing’ even when the speaker has no special expertise or experience in the subject he or she is criticizing.

FOURTH RULE
    When a black person or group makes a statement or takes an action that the white community or vocal components thereof deem “outrageous,” the latter will actively recruit blacks willing to refute the statement or condemn the action. Blacks who respond to the call to condemnation will receive superstanding status. The blacks who refuse to be recruited will be interpreted as endorsing the statements and action and may suffer political or economic reprisals.

FIFTH RULE
    True awareness requires an understanding of the Rules of Racial Standing. As an individuals understanding of these rules increases, there will be more and more instances where one can discern their workings. Using this knowledge, one gains the gift of prophesy about racism, its essence, its goals, even its remedies. The price of this knowledge is the frustration that follows recognition that no amount of public prophesy, no matter its accuracy, can either repeal the Rules of Racial Standing nor prevent their or prevent their operation.

Thanks for the answer to my query, Dr. KD

9. KevDog says:

No Pron HD.

10. KevDog says:

Prob

You guys are the shit…

12. sankofa says:

@KD “Rules of Racial Standing” also is part of a bigger picture where in the Matrix we are a corporation or artificial person thus are not subject to any rules given to natural people.

So therefore when we argue in court of our rights, we are inside an artificial corporate entity arguing artificially for an artificial man… wtf?

To overstand this one must peruse the scam around birth certificate and SSN.
    When you are born, you have a statement of live birth, which indicates to the system that another brick in the wall is ready to grease the machine. They then register you via the birth certificate, as an incorporated being which is owned by the government who then ask for a loan from the private bankers to infuse into the economy. (note that the government is not legally supposed to print money) the Federal Reserve is not a government agency) you/we are then the collateral used against the loan and is guaranteed through your SSN or SIN in Canada, which is why our asses are taxed by the government who claims they are broke. Nice scam.

I am sorry I don’t have the speech given by a crony of Woodrow Wilson who created the idea for SSN, readily at hand, it’s in my archive.

Coupled with the White Supremacy system which keeps us looking left instead of right will continue to have us off balanced. The art of war and the theories of Niccolò Machiavelli as practiced daily.

Sankofa:

The real trick to is to try to access the full rights of a citizen without a social security card. Without an SS#, institutions lock you out.

I’ve always wondered if people who are wealthy (from old money) even have social security cards. There would be no point. Rich people don’t need social security cards. If they are self-employed, it’s a wash because Social Security is a benefit that demands relinquishing a right. If you decline the benefit, the government cannot lay claim to the right. They use the SS# as the means to make claims against you.

14. sankofa says:

That’s why, Temple, I often encourage people to incorporate a business. It’s still part of the game and you may be bit player, but you will be playing from a position of “active” participation instead of passive. Also folks need to overstand that while money is a fiat or imaginary entity, the value we place on this imaginary means of barter, dictates how you roll through life. That’s why as you correctly postulate, the wealthy don’t do common shit like carry SSN or even for some a credit card.

Those heavy rollers make bank transfers or write checks.

But baby steps brother. Africans in America Inc have a yearly purchasing power right now that sits at $980 BILLION (I wrote it big so you all don’t miss it).

But our dollar still doesn’t even circulate inside the community more than once maybe twice as per the metric used to assess these things.

In a nutshell these entertainers need to consider their assets instead of their groupies asses if they want real power. Now it may not prevent haters from dreaming wonderful thoughts about cutting off your balls, but they would definitely have second thoughts if you factor in that $980 BILLION harnessed to the power of 3-6-9, can buy a whole lot of Nat Turners….if you know what I mean!

15. Ron Glover says:

Dan Gilbert sounds like a scorned lover.

16. Beth Mahoney says:

The MAN made a business decision. You call him a “kid”, I’d like to see you say that to his face…man. He is more of a man than you will ever be…..say it to his face, all 6’6 250lbs of him.

LOL This chick. Read the site more.

18. KevDog says:

Beth

I don’t know who you are refering to, but large stature does not make one a man, no more so than large breats makes one a woman. Manhood is about responsibility and leadership and courage and raising your children right and so on. You need to perhaps get your focus off of Action Pictures.

Dang, Doc, PWNED another one