Friday Morning Starting Five: So An Athlete Gets Killed and Still No Pub?

Fearful we will never know what happened to Lorenzen like so many others before him

Yes, there are an abundance of articles relating to Lorenzen Wright’s death. Yes, there are reports on news stations near and far. Yes, Lorenzen Wright was not a player everyone knew…but he did play in the NBA. Correct?

Where are the reports from the scene? Where are the news trucks that stretch around the corner? Where are the opinions…the analysis…the pointing of fingers? Where’s Nancy Grace and the rest of her ilk seeking answers?

Average folk who don’t look like Lorenzen become a national story sometimes years after their deaths. Despite his relative NBA anonymity, Lorenzen wasn’t an athlete with a criminal past who was on the top of ESPN’s home page or scrolling hourly on the bottom line.

When an athlete, specifically a Black athlete gets into some sort of trouble, folks who didn’t watch the sport somehow know who the hell he is, so what is the problem now?

It’s not like his unfortunate death does not contain the dramatic details Americans clamor for. He was shot 12 times. 12. TWELVE!

Is the death of Lorenzen Wright going to be some cold case researched and ultimately tried 30 years down the line or will folks finally catch on that his death should not be objectified?

Doesn’t his family deserve to find out what happen to their son? Wouldn’t the case be more scrutinized if America wanted to know what happened to him?

Is the lack of off the chain media exposure a cumulative effect of how the nation views the NBA?

This is not simply a sports issue as we all know this happens outside of the game as well. Put this in the proper context.

Why are folks talking about Albert Haynesworth and not Lorenzen Wright?

It seems like if a man doesn’t fit the emotional bill some folks connect to, then his death is irrelevant.

Since I’m in the loop, of course I heard the news before others but despite his disappearance on a Thursday, it appeared the story didn’t catch steam until the next Monday.

This is why I go hard on journalism. Yes, I know outlets give the people what they want, but I simply want to know why reports are so emotionally pronounced for some and relatively quiet for others. If I’m the only person bitching about this then please let me know.

Instead of finding holes in this post, don’t you think pressure should be applied to find the truth? Do your part.

“I don’t understand this man, why can’t they never solve the problem?” –The Blastmaster, KRS-One.

Yeah, it’s early and there still may be some answers, but stay ahead of the curve.

The links…

Threats Against Lorenzen Wright by Ex-Wife Recorded, Personal Assistant Says (My Eyewitness News)

Andre Johnson gets new deal (Houston Chronicle)

Now, It’s Jeter’s Turn to Chase a Milestone (NY Times)

Woman Guilty of Extortion in Coach Pitino Case (NY Times)

Kevin Youkilis is lost for the season (Boston Globe)

Anthony Davis at center of recruiting storm (Chicago Sun Times)

Bernie Mac’s wife sues doctor. Dermatologist shocked, believes he took care of ailing comic (Chicago Sun Times)

Cool with the symbolism in Kanye’s new joint Power? (Kanye West Blog)

It’s been 65 years: U.S. Sends Envoy to Hiroshima For First Time–But Use of Bomb, Then and Now, Still Holds Sway (The Nation)

No, no, no, no…

9 Responses to “Friday Morning Starting Five: So An Athlete Gets Killed and Still No Pub?”

1. Rance Rob says:

All of this is sad but true!

I said since I first heard of his disappearance that I thought his ex-wife was involved or knew more than what she was leading the police or public to believe. I can’t put my finger on it but it’s just something about her that I don’t trust. She knows something….

I hope it doesn’t point to her for his kids’ sake. Just a sad story. He was such a good dude who would go out of his way to speak to you in the locker room. His family needs closure no matter how it shakes.

4. Burundi says:

I think that there are times such as this that folk such as Penny Hardaway, Elliot Perry, and other prominent folk connected to Wright, this beloved Memphis son, should issue a press release stating that there is a substantial reward for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of the perpetrator(s) of this crime in order to keep the tragedy on everyone’s radar. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the aforementioned simply paid private investigators to also be on the case. I’ve known quite a few people from Memphis and I will not discount what they may be doing behind the scenes and under the radar of the media to bring about justice.

Additionally, the number of bullets used would seem to project to law enforcement that the murder was personal. This helps law enforcement to zero in on their investigation such that they become tight-lipped and there becomes, I think, ONLY the appearance that the crime has fallen off the radar. In fact, I expect the conspiracy to fall apart and the perpetrators to be brought to justice.

5. TC says:

Burundi – it seems possible that given the explosive elements of this case that perhaps some work is being done in the background by the cops. That said, given how black life seems to be undervalued in the States, I don’t know. I hope his wife isn’t in on it, simply by way of avoiding another sad element in this tragic case. I didn’t know Lorenzen but I saw that he was always a consistent player when given the opportunity to play. I think he could have been more of a force on the court if given the chance. RIP.

6. Julius says:

The unfortunate fact is that Lorenzen Wright just isn’t a household name. Sad as it may seem, this is why nobody cares any more than if some random brother had been murdered. Had it been Gary Payton or Karl Malone, it would have gotten a lot more pub, probably even making it into the usual regurgitated 24/7 news cycle.

@GN

There’s a reason you have this uneasy feeling about Wright’s case because it’s happened before. I felt the same thing when Fred Lane of the Carolina Panthers was murdered and it was ultimately revealed that his soon-to-be ex-wife was responsible for his death. I hope as well that his ex-wife had nothing to do with this for their children’s sake because no child needs to find out their parents hated each other enough to plot murder.

Sad commentary and twelve bullets is just overkill.

This is really sad.

9. Jimmy Doyle says:

Two years ago my cousin was murdered here in Memphis. It took 5 months to make an arrest, but it happened and the police worked it hard.

I agree 100% about the stereotyping. Unfortunately its the mother of his kids perpetuating it. From what I can see she’s got a good third of people believing her story. Its an “isn’t this typical” reaction.

The police say they are waiting for the results of “tests”.

I won’t repeat any rumors, you’ve heard them all anyway, but I think an arrest is coming.

The man was going to his mother’s house for Pete’s sake! Someone knew what shortcut he used.

Maybe we’d get more reporting if the cops were giving out more info. The fact that they aren’t openly soliciting information usually means they only have one suspect.

I don’t think there’s any danger of this story dying here in Memphis. Its not often that a man has 3,000 people come to his funeral.