Ron Glover’s Week 5 NFL Predictions

We’re a quarter of the way through the NFL season and there have been some surprises. The Kansas City Chiefs remain undefeated, Michael Vick has rejuvenated his career while he heals from a rib injury. The Albert Haynesworth/Mike Shanahan drama continues and it hasn’t really affected the Redskins – yet. But the biggest news came this week as Randy Moss returns to the Minnesota Vikings in a trade after three-plus productive seasons in New England.

Today’s games include the Chiefs at the Colts, AFC passing leader Kyle Orton faces his biggest test as the Broncos face the Ravens, Julius Peppers returns to Carolina as the Bears face the Panthers and Moss returns to Revis Island (provided he plays) as the Vikings and Jets square off Monday Night.

Byes this week: Dolphins, Patriots, Steelers and Seahawks

Sunday October 10, 2010

Jacksonville Jaguars (2-2) at Buffalo Bills (0-4) 1pm – The Bills are due at some point it could be this week  they’ve played well the past couple of weeks but have come up short. Good news for the Jags is that they have a chance to build some momentum after last weeks emotional win against the Colts and Maurice Jones-Drew is warming up. Bad news is that how long can David Garrard continue to play decent ball.

Pick: Jags 24 – Bills 21 (ot)

Denver Broncos (2-2) at Baltimore Ravens (3-1) 1pm – The Broncos will be without Knowshon Moreno and his replacement Laurence Maroney has struggled. That puts it all on quarterback Kyle Orton, the Ravens know this and will adjust accordingly. Denver’s winless streak in B-More continues.

Pick: Ravens 30 – Broncos 13

Kansas City Chiefs (3-0) at Indianapolis Colts (2-2) 1pm – The football revival in Kansas City is real and the Chiefs are going to beat the Colts today – there I said it!

Pick: Chiefs 28 – Colts 24

Green Bay Packers (3-1) at Washington Redskins (2-2) 1pm – This could be the day that the Packers ground game woes catches up to them. The Skins are high after an emotional win in Philadelphia last week and begin a tough stretch against the Packers, Colts and Bears. Donovan McNabb has won four of his last five games against the the Packers.

Pick: Redskins 24 – Packers 17

St. Louis Rams (2-2) at Detroit Lions (0-4)  1pm- How about the Rams could be in first place in the NFC West by today’s end. The Lions are due for a win and today is an opportune time but running back Jahvid Best is hobbled with a toe injury that could make things difficult for the Lions ground game. I think the Rams win a tough one on the road.

Pick: Rams 25 – Lions 21

Chicago Bears (3-1) at Carolina Panthers (0-4) 1pm – The Bears bandwagon emptied out like someone yelled “FIRE” and rightfully so, the way they played in the Meadowlands last week was embarrassing.  Now they face a Carolina team that is looking for their first win. Two things here: Julius Peppers returns to the team that couldn’t afford him but could sure use him now and Jimmy Clausen gained confidence as they put a scare into the Saints last week.

Pick: Panthers 23 – Bears 21

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-1) at Cincinnati Bengals (2-2) 1pm – The Carson Palmer breakout watch continues as Cedric Benson remains the key to the Bengals offensive success. Defensively, the Bengals need to get tougher. The Bucs have won their last five in Cincy and look to spread the ball around today.

Pick: Bengals 34 – Bucs 21

Atlanta Falcons (3-1) at Cleveland Browns (1-3) 1pm – It took a huge hustle play from Falcons wide receiver Roddy White to salvage a win against the Niners last week. This week the onus will be on quarterback Matt Ryan as he has to deal with the Browns aggresive defense. It looks like running back Peyton Hillis is the guy for the Browns right now.

Pick: Falcons 27 – Browns 17

New York Giants (2-2) at Houston Texans (3-1) 1pm – The Giants racked up 10 sacks last week against the Bears and are looking for more against a predominatly passing offense. The Texans are trying to stay ahead of the pack in the AFC South, the Texans defense gets a jolt as linebacker Brian Cushing returns after a four-game suspension.

Pick: Texans 24 – Giants 20

New Orleans Saints (3-1) at Arizona Cardinals (2-2) 4:05pm – The Saints are running out of close calls and they’re going against a Cardinals teams that’s dangerous in spite of their record. But they won’t show many teeth today because they may be starting rookie Max Hill after quarterback.

Pick: Saints 38 – Cardinals 10

Tennessee Titans (2-2) at Dallas Cowboys (2-2) 4:15pm – As good as this looks on paper, I think the Titans are too physical for this Cowboys team most notably their offensive line. Calm down Cowboys fans, you’re not out of the woods yet.

Pick: Titans 31 – Cowboys 21

San Diego Chargers (2-2) at Oakland Raiders (1-3) 4:15pm – Phillip Rivers is 8-0 as a starter against the Silver and Black. The Raiders are without Darren McFadden which could doom this thing from the start. But I wouldn’t be surprised at a wild ending.

Pick: Chargers 31 – Raiders 28 (Long Live the AFL)

Philadelphia Eagles (2-2) at San Francisco 49′ers (0-4) 8:20 – LeSean McCoy is going to give it a go for the Birds – and believe me they need him. The Eagles have struggled to stop the run all season and that will continue today. Vernon Davis may have a huge game as well. Hopefully, week of work has given Eagles QB Kevin Kolb a sense of comfort under center.

Pick: Niners 28 – Eagles 27.

Monday October 11, 2010

Minnesota Vikings (2-2) at New York Jets (3-1) 8:30pm – The flip side of Randy Moss returning to the Vikes is the season debut for Jets wideout Santonio Holmes. Expect the Jets offense to continue to blossom into one of the best in the League. Favre’s 500th touchdown pass will go to Randy Moss – ending the game highlights for the Vikings.

Pick: Jets 34 – Vikings 21

Last Week 7-7 – 2010 Season 32-16

45 Responses to “Ron Glover’s Week 5 NFL Predictions”

The T.O. time bomb is going off in 5……..4…………3………..2….

LOL

what the hell happened to the Texans? That sure was a crash landing.

2. Ron Glover says:

@Miranda did you see T.O.’s interview w/ M. Irvin on NFL Network this morning. Gotta see it. He says everything except that there is a racial undertow towards Black wide receivers in the NFL.

DAYUM! No, I didn’t see it! Gotta see it now though! LOL

The Browns had a shot, but then Seneca got hurt and Jake Delhomme came in and had one of his vintage performances.

So Miranda thats why cleveland lost. Man Carson Palmer ain’t shit…..I seen Mcnabb take thes crappy washinton team and win. Yet that bum Palmer throwing picks left and right with 2 HOF WRs.

And Shaub is nothing more then a fantasy league stat stuffing golden boy. Like I said last year he needs to thank Vick everyday he cashes that fat check he gets.

@ RG I have to see that interview brotha. about 2 months ago didn’t TO and Chad do an interview and basically said that Farve is getting a pass because he is a white QB.

5. Ron Glover says:

T.O. talks about Moss being traded and how Brady got a deal. How if Favre woulda played the the way he played in the Super Bowl they would’ve given Favre the Lombardi Trophy anyway. He’s deep in this one.

Origin, me and my friends say it all the time…Schaub owes Mike Vick at least 20% of his signing bonus, and Matt Ryan does too! LOL

The owner of the Panthers is on Line 1 Mr. Cowher!! Pick up Line 1 please!

Dang T.O. pulled out his inner Paul Mooney on that interview. Brotha I have got to see this interview.

T.O. better chill out before THEY cancel his show and come and take him away…..LOL!!!

Hmmmm so Campbell gets benched. But then like always Gradkowski can’t last more then 2 games before getting knocked out the game. Campbell comes back in and has the Raiders leading against the Chargers.

I swear ain’t that a trip.

Glad the Titans won!

And the Raiders have done it!

Yeap here is Dallas its Defcon 5. The Rangers lost which I hate been rooting for coach washington and the Cowboys lost.

Man folks are going to be sick the whole week.

I guess throwing for a gazillion yards doesn’t mean too much when the team still loses huh?

Damn that Jake Delhomme for messing up my Sunday! I was hoping the Browns would beat the Falcons! dammit.

What sista it means everything. You remember how Vick was dogged out for years in ATL even when they won games because he only threw for 160 yards.

Or how last year the Cardinals Vs Greenbay was considered a great game because the golden boys threw for tons of yards yet there was no defense played in the game.

And don’t even get me started on how Schaub and Palmer have been considered better QBs then Mcnabb the last 3 years yet they haven’t done anything but help the fantasy football players win their leagues.

Yeah sista I am starting to believe that either Delhomme is colorblind or he works for the Mob. How does this fool still have a job in the NFL….well this is a league that actually gave a 43 year old Vinny a shot 2 years ago.

Well its almost time for the Checkdown Bowl. I think kolb will have 200 yards on 60 attempts. Leshawn McCoy should have 40 receptions tonight.

I might actually watch this game………….it might put me to sleep quicker then some night train or thunderbird.

So what happens to the Teflon Don Brett Farve??

The league says they are investigating………….yeah right wink wink.

Nothing will happen to Favre. LOL….Peter King will beat that chick down his damn self if he has too!

I want Singletary to get this win….he just doesnt get the support he deserves….*sigh*

True Coach Singletary doesn’t get the help support.

But today they should have beat the Eagles and checkdown Charlie.

Oh and you better believe ain’t nothing happening to Farve. If Peter King himself has to take the fall and say he sent those pics of his Johnson.

LOL!!!

Ain’t nothing happening to Teflon Don Farve.

Man, damn a T.O. Go cry over another golden boy QB and siddown someplace.

@ Harvey – LMAO…………..I guess he knows what Mcnabb has been going through now huh??? After the league basically tried to blackball him.

I think he might have known it even before DMac but my problem with TO is that you don’t pull other people into it publicly when you’re trying to get your money. You don’t question a man’s sexuality or another man’s Blackness because you don’t think they stood with up for you. Garcia and McNabb should have taken the initiative in San Fran and Philly, respectively, and told the different front offices to sign the guy but tell me did TO go to those guys and ask them to help? I want to know that answer. Did either one of them tell him unequivocally that he was on his own when it came to contract negotiations? Nothing wrong with being brutally honest but exhaust all opportunities before you burn every bridge.

Oh yeah, he might have rehabbed himself to try to help the Eagles win the Super Bowl but believe me he knew if he played in that game and showed out that it would help T.O. just as much as more. I truly believe if TO had not tried to negotiate a contract extension in the media that he would have gotten what he wanted and the Eagles and McNabb would have gotten what they wanted when they brought him to the NovaCare Complex.

What the…………..I dont see any pigs flying…..but Peyton had no TDs, an INT and a 65 passer rating?

What day is this……..what year is this?

Yeah, Miranda, and Donovan took down another golden boy QB today. I thought this guy couldn’t play anymore?

Conventional wisdom was that Josh Freeman was a reach as a first round QB but Carson Palmer came into the league anointed as the next great QB.

Bruce Gradkowski was supposed to be so much more of a leader than Jason Campbell but Phillip Rivers is a top five QB.

I could go on and on but Peter King is still gonna be in a killing mood after beating down Brett Favre’s girlfriend so I’d better watch my mouth.

Harvey I completely agree with your assessment of T.O., that was my beef with him also. You don’t crap on folks because you want to get paid. The stuff he did calling out Mcnabb and Garcia was a punk move all the way.

Oh and not only did Mcnabb beat Rodgers. But he beat him with a team with a worse running game, worse OL (the worst OL in the league) and worse WRs.

And Josh Freeman is the truth. Folks dogged Tampa Bay out for drafting him. I said that boy had “it” whatever it is the first time I saw him as a soph at Kansas St. I new he would be a pretty good QB in the league if ever given a chance.

Also with T.O. if the Bengals don’t make the playoffs this year this maybe the last year T.O. plays in the NFL. Carson Palmer saved him by asking the owner to sign him and you know whatever a golden boy wants he gets.

If this team doesn’t make the playoffs they will blow that team up and fire the coach. The media will blame the misfortunes of the team on the coach, Chad and T.O.

Peter King is gonna beat his wife over the Favre “incident”…somebody better watch him. LOL

The Carolina Panthers are still winless too? LMAO…..the owner will be writing Bill Cowher a blank check, Bill can fill in whatever amount makes him happy.

@O, I may have to new #5 jersey in pewter and red if Freeman and the Bucs keep this up. I’m real happy for Coach Morris because the MSM was throwing dirt on his tenure after one season. Good to see these guys coming together early this season. Hope they keep it up and sneak into the playoffs too.

Props to the Lions too. Good win.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again……Fantasy Football is going to ruin the NFL.

The Bengals could fix their QB situation very easily. Former Kentucky QB Woodson would be great in that system. I don’t know what’s wrong with Palmer. He hasn’t been the same since Kimo clocked him on the first drive of that playoff game in ’05. Woodson was drafted by the Giants but had no shot of getting that gig. He has all the tools.

Alex Smith plays like he’s playing against high school kids in his back yard.

Andrea Johnson would be a good QB. But he was never given a fair shot even at draft combine. Punks were talking about he only ran a 4.7 40. Those fools this dude was calling offensive plays like Payton Manning in college.

They couldn’t get that brotha on his college stats, his height or his wonderlic score so they got him on his 40 time.

Alex Smith been trash for years. Yet he has been given chance after chance just like Kyle Boyler and other golden boy busts. As I said ever since last season Nat Davis should been the starter from day one.

Andrea Johnson should be Andrea Woodson.

So let me get this straight Alex Smith shouldn’t be benched because you are still in the game.

But it was no thing for Mcnabb to get benched in Baltimore 2 years ago only being down by what 5 points. Or VY getting benched this year only being down by what 10 points. Or Jason Campbell being benched in the second freaking game in the 2nd Qtr only being down one score.

Man the NFL is a freaking joke.

Woodson was a phenomenal player at Kentucky. No one wins there — but he did. He was a superb passer. I’m not sure if something happened, but there is no “physical explanation” for him being out of the league. I wish I knew more about his situation — because then I could compare him to Tim Couch or someone like that.

BTW — Alex just found Davis. I know why he gets chances. He’s a great athlete, he can make throws, and people want him to become the next Joe Montana. Plus, he was a high draft pick — they’re going to let him go to another franchise so that he can bite them in the butt until they’re almost sure.

A rumor is floating around that Singletary will be fired after this game. I hope this rumor isn’t true.

I wonder do those 49er fans I spoke with on their forum in the offseason still would rather have Alex Smith then Mcnabb or Vick.

Seriously……in what universe is there even a sniff of if Kolb played well enough to unseat Mike Vick?

I think 49ers fans would rather have Alex Smith — but $#@ ‘em. Who cares? Mike probably gets canned soon. 0-5 is tough. Right now, the team doesn’t know how to win. As much as folks may go off on Smith for his INT’s, Gore fumbled twice. The Niners looked slow and sloppy for most of the game. They’re lucky that Philadelphia sucks.

I think after the dust clears this week, believe it or not, people will be saying that the Redskins are the class of the NFC. Scary thought. They’re at about 40% of where they could be offensively.

If they can get the rock to Fred Davis more over the next few weeks, they’re going to be very happy.

42. Ron Glover says:

“Peter King is gonna beat his wife over the Favre “incident”…somebody better watch him. ”

@Miranda and John Madden is combing the New York Area in his Madden Cruiser.

What did Dave Chappelle tell the hoes in the Wayne Brady episode, “Run Bitch, Run!”

ROFLMAO @ Ron……………..a Chappelle CLASSIC!

44. Julius says:

I can’t see how Singletary deserves to keep his job. Besides being 0-5, he said in an interview that his greatest talent is recognizing and surrounding himself (staff) with people smarter than himself! That’s ridiculous. The head coach should be the smartest guy on the field. It was pretty stupid to say something like that. If his entire game is being mister rah-rah and letting his staff do the heavy lifting, then Mike should be coaching at the college level.

Julius:

I agree that it might be time for SF to look in another direction. With that said, other coaches who’ve had considerable success in this league had rough starts.

The problem I see with what I’ve seen (and that’s very literal) is that Mike Singletary seems to treat every problem as a nail in need of a hammer. That’s not the way life is. In fact, for someone whose power and confidence is so evident, he might get more bang for his buck with another tactic.

I’d also say that the head coach doesn’t need to be the smartest guy in the room. Successful armies, nations and firms are often led by men and women who are not smarter than their lieutenants. The best cultural exemplar is that of Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock.

From the outside looking in, it looks like Mike has yet to tap into what him successful as an MLB in Chicago. It wasn’t merely his ability to bring emotional motivation. It was his ability to prepare for opponents and endure. This breed of 49ers have yet to impress with preparation or endurance.