The Official TSF MMA Open Thread

Rashad Evans

This is UFC fighter Rashad Evans.  I love the UFC, but I’m curious about what most people don’t know about this vastly popular sport. More questions after the cut.

Ever been curious about anything related to MMA? Wondered what the big hype was about Brock Lesnar? Want to have a serious discussion about the structure of race in MMA as a reason for its popularity?

Fine, I’ll be here. Any questions you might have please leave in the comments. I’ll answer them all in kind.

7 Responses to “The Official TSF MMA Open Thread”

1. sankofa says:

As some one who has experience in freestyle wrestling as well as several types of striking arts, I tend to be some what jaded when examining fights from a traditional perspective, I see a definite move away from true grappling to a 1970′s style kick boxing mentality with a arm bar and sloppy take downs throwing in as after thought.

Don’t get me wrong, most people wouldn’t/ couldn’t step into a octagon and do this ish for even 2 minutes. But to the unsophisticated MMA appears to be a more brutal, less technical idiot cousin of boxing. (forgetting boxings own early troubles to gain recognition)

My question is: As an enthusiast how would you explain the attraction to some one who looks down their nose at MMA?

2. Okori Wadsworth says:

@Sankofa:

It’s the complete mastery of all of the disciplines that enthralled me. I’m not one of the guys who got in with the barfighting UFC, at the beginning. I probably wouldn’t have liked it there.

I like Georges St. Pierre because he came in with a certain background, and then added BJJ and Wrestling to it to make himself a dominant champion. that’s why.

3. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Okori Wadsworth, Okori Wadsworth. Okori Wadsworth said: http://wp.me/pcdeW-32c. the TSF MMA Open Thread. There it is, in all of its glory. [...]

4. DSWJ says:

I’m a long time boxing fan and a recent MMA convert (last 18 months) and love both sports equally now.

I get frustrated when you hear fighters like Josh Koschek shouting from the corner of one of his TUF students “takedown wins the round”

What are your thoughts on the “lay and pray” methods of winning matches and do you think anything can be done to stop this boring style of fighting?

5. Okori Wadsworth says:

@DSWJ: Sometimes, it’s not as boring as you’d think. Everyone is not Anderson Silva. In a few cases, those guys going for takedowns and are in top position are looking to set up ground and pound opportunities or to bait their opponent into making a mistake and giving them an opening.

However, when they’re just taking guys down for the sake of taking guys down and not making any effort to either go for ground-and-pound or submit guys, you stand them up. And a good old passivity charge never hurt anyone either. It’s done in College Wrestling. It can be done in the UFC too.

6. sankofa says:

Good point on the “lay and pray” Okori. I confess I don’t watch much sports these days…not like I use to, so while I am familiar with the hype of St. Pierre, I haven’t seen him or much of the other top fighters.

But keep doing this and you might get me motivated to dust of my inner sports nuts again.

Note: When my wife kicks me out of the house for excesive sports watching, better make sure you have a nice soffa. LOL!

7. Okori Wadsworth says:

@Sankofa: Anderson Silva, especially early before he became the Brazilian Floyd Mayweather, was a guy you would have loved. Deadly finisher, pin-point accuracy. When he hit you clean you were DONE. plus he had BJJ skills (black belt). So it wasn’t like he was Chuck Liddell, who rarely subbed guys and had no interest in going to the ground.

A really good example of a guy who uses his wrestling to set other things up is Dan Henderson. Most of the greco-roman guys are good in the UFC because they’re used to clinches and tight spaces.