NBA Playoff Weekend Recap: Stakes Is High!

Ray Allen #20 Of The Boston Celtics Celebrates

Ray Allen’s three pointer with 12 seconds remaining in regulation gave the Celtics a 87-85 victory over the New York Knicks in Game 1 of their opening round series. This weekend featured some great matchups and even some surprises

Below are the recaps and my predictions.

Game 1

Eastern Conference

Chicago 104 – Indiana 99: The Pacers message to the Bulls was simple; there is no truth to the rumor that the playoffs begin in the second round. Bulls in 5.

Miami 97 – Philadelphia 89: Thaddeus Young led a second half charge that saw the Heat lead cut to one with less than five minutes remaining. I’m still trying to digest the 39-15 free throw differential that favored the Heat. Heat in 6

Hawks Magic

Atlanta 103 – Orlando 93: The Hawks larger backcourt snipers may be the undoing of the Magic in this series. Magic in 7

Boston 87 - New York 85: This has all the makings of a first round classic. Dust off Larry and Bernard. Celtics in a HARD 7

Western Conference

Portland Trail Blazers forward LaMarcus Aldridge, left, drives against Dallas Mavericks' Tyson Chandler, right, in the second half of an NBA playoff basketball game Saturday, April 16, 2011, in Dallas. The Mavericks won 89-81. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez) - Portland Trail Blazers forward LaMarcus Aldridge, left, drives against Dallas Mavericks' Tyson Chandler, right, in the second half of an NBA playoff basketball game Saturday, April 16, 2011, in Dallas. The Mavericks won 89-81. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez) | AP

Dallas 89 - Portland 81: If it’s the NBA Playoffs, one thing you can count on is the Dallas Mavericks letting another great regular season go to waste. Blazers in 6

Memphis 101 – San Antonio 98: I had the Spurs picked to win this series in six games - I thought Memphis killed themselves to stay in the playoff hunt. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Spurs in 6

Hornets guard Chris Paul (left), who scored 33 points, didn’t let the Lakers’ Kobe Bryant get in his way Sunday.

New Orleans 109 – Los Angeles 100: That’s the best ball I’ve season out of  CP3 in almost two seasons – so much for the sweep. Lakers in 6

Oklahoma City 107 – Denver 103: For good portion of the game last night Kevin Durant was Gervin-esque. This is the 2nd best series of the first round (Boston/New York) Thunder in 7

8 Responses to “NBA Playoff Weekend Recap: Stakes Is High!”

1. TheLastPoet says:

I agree with all of your predictions except one: I don’t think the Mavs will lose in the 1st round yet again. Having the best player on the court, Dirk, should be enough for the Mavs this time.

I also don’t think that there will be quite so many game 7s. I think OKC eliminates the Nuggs in 6. Ditto for ORL, even though they’re down 0-1 right now. The only 7 game series I see is BOS-NYK.

Just my thoughts…

2. MODI says:

I am still sick to my stomach from that Knick game. Since when do the refs call a foul like that on Melo with 21 seconds left. That is just not a call you make without home cookin.

And then on top of that, not one single announcer can stell us why Toney Douglass is laying on the ground instead of up in Ray Ray’s face on the game winner? Cuz Garnett stuck his foot out and tripped him. If you make the melo call — you HAVE to call KG’s far more egregious off the ball move. If you didn’t notice check the tape again.

Complete bullshit ending to an otherwise great game. Donaghy is live and well.

3. TheLastPoet says:

Even though I’ve turned in my Knicks fan card, as a bball “purist” of sorts I still feel your pain, MODI. I don’t like the impact that officiating has on games. I read somewhere that officials should work to ensure that player conduct on the court does not produce an advantage that violates the spirit of the game, otherwise they need to butt out. (I think it was Kelly Dwyer who said this – ewww! – but I do agree with it nonetheless!)

What Melo did to Pierce was in no way a violation – actually the opposite is true in that Pierce’s flop was the more eggregious affront in this case.

Likewise, Toney Douglass has to man up and fight through KG’s attempt to trip him. Seriously, Douglass is a professional athlete. As such, he certainly has the physical ability to avoid KG’s feet in that situation – and would have easily done so were this a game being played somewhere without officials, like a park or rec. center. In fact, if this game had been played at the park, Douglass would have no doubt avoided KG’s feet and got a hand up on Walter Ray’s 3 ball.

The problem is this: NBA players, like Pierce, Ginobili, or Tony Parker, have become drama queens, overreacting to the slightest contact in order to encourage the ref to call an infraction. That’s the main reason why you saw Douglass sprawled across the floor instead of up in the shooter’s face during money time. He overreacted and thought he would get the call, same as Pierce had done at the other end. But the game was at TD Garden – not Madison Square – and so it turned out to be a poor choice for Douglass. Next time, I suggest using his athletic ability to jump over KG’s feet and get a hand up on Ray. In other words, instead of always trying to play the officials, tell these pro athletes to just play the damn game.

It’s been ages since the referees didn’t have their hands all over the outcome of a game. I picked OKC and Chicago to get to the finals back in the dead of winter (before the Perkins trade). I know that’s not the league’s first choice, but the East is wide open. The NBA wins with Chicago, Boston, New York or Miami in the Finals. No one else has a shot. How sweet it is, this business of “sport.”

5. MODI says:

Whats up LP, I appreciate you feeling my pain and agreed on Melo. But I’m seeing some different tape on Toney Douglas. I don’t see drama or overreacting. I just saw KG stick his foot out and TD get tripped. This is a good piece of tape:

Now two things. Why won’t the announcers mention this. And secondly — I checked the ESPN website tape yesterday and then today, and I clearly noticed that they shortened the tape on that last play to where you can barely catch the trip. Why would they chop off what amounted to 2 or 3 extra seconds of tape?

6. Ron Glover says:

TLP, I hope this means we’ll see more of you during the playoffs?

I posted on my FB page that the first day of the NBA playoffs is and always has been more exciting for me than all of March Madness and this year’s opening was no exception. I love my Sixers but I see the handwriting on the wall for them against the Heat however I’m just geeked up watching some good games no matter who’s playing that will go on for almost two months. Game on indeed.

I said at the beginning of the season that the balance of power may be moving back to the East but the way the season played out is that both conferences are about equal now with apologies to KevDog’s Lakers. Any of the top four in the East or West can win it all and the bottom four in each conference are showing that they’re not there for cannon fodder. As long as the fix isn’t in or too blatant I think this will be a playoffs for the ages.

It’s gonna need to be too because El Presidente Stern according to D-Rose says he plans to bury some more bodies when the CBA expires at the end of June and we may not see and NBA ball until January. Now that would kill me more than losing the NFL because the NBA is always there in the Fall and Winter whenever I click on the TV even if it’s just to have background noise on.

Great picks RG………I like them all except that Dallas Vs. Portland. There is no way that the Mavs lose that one. The Trailblazers can’t shoot and dirk will get straight up touch fouls at the end of the game (see game 1).

Oh and I think the Bulls will have to beat Indy in 6. I think that Indy will win 2 games at home….they have a lot of big men and size to go at my bulls.

In saying all of that I still like the Celtics vs Lakers in the finals. OKC is still a year away and the Celtics have the most bigs in the East that can score (if shaq can come back and give them 15 to 20 minutes a game).

Harvey I agree with you on the NBA vs March Madness. I prefer the NBA playoffs to any other playoffs due to the drama and the fact that there are games on every freaking night. I remember a good college buddy of mine use to say that a series in the NBA playoffs was like a soap opera because every game was different.