The Dallas Mavericks Are NBA Champions; The Miami Heat Are Not

How about those Mavericks?

In a year sports fans will remember for quite some time, the Dallas Mavericks lay claim to the 2010-2011 NBA Championship. The Mavs closed out the Heat 105-95 in Game 6 and won the series 4-2 without Caron Butler. Dirk Nowitzki was named Finals MVP. Dallas won 4 out of the last 5 Finals games.

I was wrong about this series but with everything considered, Dallas was the better team. The Mavs simply wanted it more and LeBron James’ off season of hell begins in earnest. There is no one alive that can rationally take anything away from Mark Cuban and the Mavericks. Nothing…and anything said in the contrary deserves no homage.

Dirk Nowitzki and the two Jasons…Kidd and Terry are now champs. Peja is a champ after that ’02 debacle. This cannot be taken away from them ever. Folks will focus on LeBron’s failings but it was Rick Carlise and the Mavericks defense that put it all on the line and secured ring night in Dallas next season.

Dirk shed any thoughts, feelings, rumors, labels that he was soft. He didn’t shoot well in Game 6 but the effort was there. Dirk shut me up. Straight up. I didn’t think he had it in him and I have to give him props for putting Dallas on his back and taking what he knew would be his.

Jason Terry backed up his talk after the Game 3 loss. He was incredible last night and was the best player on the floor. You must have a player like Jason Terry on your team. He will score and he will also get into the heads of the opposition. He has that killer instinct needed to win championships and is the ultimate teammate.

Jason Kidd merely did his job. I haven’t spoke with the triple double defensive machine as much as I would like to but he did his thing these playoffs and steadied the ship. He showed Miami why you need a veteran point guard to lead where you need to go. Just think…after sharing ROY honors with Grant Hill in ’95 with the same Mavericks organization…to stops in Phoenix, two Finals losses in New Jersey and everything that has happened during his career there has to be no happier man alive. Congratulations Jason. The Hall of Fame isn’t great enough of an honor for one of the best point guards to have ever lived. I’m sure Gary Payton smiles for you as well (funny how they have rings and others do not). He was a whirlwind at Cal, became a defensive stopper, threw up the third most Oscars ever and now has a ring to shine.

Erik Spolestra is now on the clock. I wanted to see LeBron and Wade in the pick and roll. I wanted to see more structure. It seemed when hell got the hottest, there were no plays called. His rotation was inconsistent (Mario Chalmers should have played more because he’s the only player who stepped up when Wade was hurt) and the question must be asked how a team with so much offensive talent become this 80 point a game scared bull in a china shop. That’s simply unacceptable. Pat Riley will not sit and watch that happen again or he will replace Spo no matter how much he likes him.

Rick Carlisle now has won a championship as a player and as a head coach. There are only 10 who have done both. He made nice adjustments this series. He got everything out of the zone, knew when to go to J. J. Barea and made sure LeBron stayed out on the perimeter. He did a great job this series.

Dwyane Wade took his game to another level. He outscored Dirk but this loss can’t sit well with him. Not one bit. He shot over 50% for the series…shooting in volume…rebounded, blocked shots, dished the rock…whatever but it just didn’t happen. A telling image was Wade ripping off his jersey as he headed into the tunnel. That image says more than anger.

Chris Bosh had a decent series. He shot the ball pretty well but there are things he needs to work on like rebounding and passing to become a true superstar.

Work on your post game Chris.

Shawn Marion played his butt off. He was a catalyst. He turned back the Matrix clock and performed the best we’ve seen of him in years. That little runner in the lane was money the entire series.

Tyson Chandler played well. He defended, took lobs, cleaned up the glass and gave his team fire. He’s was as big in this run as any Mavericks player.

I’m a bit miffed what was going on with LeBron. Something didn’t seem right with the 26 year old superstar. He was a -24 and made just 1-4 free throws in a game where Dallas had a chance to close out the NBA Finals on his home court?

C’mon fam…

Man cards need to be checked and reevaluated because that was not the performance most thought would actually go down. Folks can say what they want about LeBron potentially not coming out with his best but deep down they still watched to see what would transpire in Game 6. I will not pile on LeBron James because this is his lesson to learn and he’s relatively young.  I’ve searched all weekend for a quote I got from LeBron regarding coming back the next season after a playoff loss and doing it all again. I won’t forget the look on his face that struck as stress…organized noise…ringing in his ears until that final walk into the tunnel just one more time in personal disgust.

Easy for me to say but if things are going on personally should that be more reason to dunk on the world?

This has to wear on him but I hope next season he comes back with a better grasp on how he deals with the media, who he talks to in the media, evaluate what his game means to him personally, ratchet down the sense of entitlement, check all the movement around him, judge his personal relationships accordingly, get a post up game, remember how good he is, spend time with Dwyane Wade in the off season and begin next year with a fire no one has ever seen from any player in any sport.

I included the following quote here:

Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire. —Reggie Leach

If he comes back next season like he ended this campaign he might as well quit. I wouldn’t watch TV for an entire year. I’d go to the gym. Take LeBron Jr. and Bryce and let them do their thing on the sideline while he works and works and works.

He’s only 26 but time is moving fast. Judging by the following exchange, I think LeBron needs to think with a little more clarity about his game:

MT: If you look back in history…Kobe…when I talked to him said he pulls from different players in history. Were there certain players you watched and picked up a move or a shot or something like that.

LBJ: Nah…I never picked any shots up. When you think of a fade-a-way you think of Jordan of course. When you think of a skyhook or a running skyhook across the lane you think of Magic. When you think of passing or a no look pass you think of Magic. There’s no one I took game from. There are a lot of people who inspired my game…MJ being one of them…Penny Hardaway being another…and Grant Hill being another one growing up around that time. There wasn’t anyone’s game that I kinda picked and said I want to add this to my game.

While you are daydreaming checking out that sick Biscayne Bay view and reflecting on ’10-’11, start going through your phone LeBron and get someone to come in and teach you about playing down on the block. You must do this to win a ring.

There is talk of a hard cap wanted by NBA owners across the board. The CBA ends June 30th and with a lockout looming, things will assuredly be different financially next season. I’m not one to say the Heat will be broken up so like so many others seem to think but if the owners get what they want salaries will be way down and guaranteed contracts will fall by the wayside.

The Cleveland Cavaliers did not win the championship but a betting man would guess that all of Ohio rejoiced when Game 6 gun went off. I would hope Cleveland and the Cavs consider this closure and focus on what matters most…the Cavaliers. Hating LeBron James is not going to make the lowly Cavs better. Your prodigal son is gone. Take your talents to the Quicken Loans Arena and build your franchise Dan Gilbert.

Simply put, I’m inspired as a writer to become better in the aftermath of Miami’s Finals loss. This has been a tremendous season and anyone who loves the game was affected.

Just like this season was tuned up competitively, I hope next year is much more of the same.

This was a great series (strange at times) and Miami will have to work hard as hell to get back. There is hungry young talent all over the league and nothing will be easy. The talent is there and I’m sure Pat Riley will add to the bench and make other necessary moves. This team will be back…they better…

Oh…if your team lost to Miami or Dallas these playoffs and you’re blowing up my phone because I picked the Heat to win…do yourself a favor…go out side and check the fair weather. Nice out huh?

Dallas
- 9 39 20 3 7 16 14 95

Officials: Steve Javie, Scott Foster, Derrick Stafford
Attendance: 20,003
Time of Game: 2:35
Technicals
Dallas
– D. Stevenson (6:25 – 2nd Qtr)
Miami
– U. Haslem (6:25 – 2nd Qtr)
– M. Chalmers (6:25 – 2nd Qtr)
– D. Wade (3:55 – 3rd Qtr)

24 Responses to “The Dallas Mavericks Are NBA Champions; The Miami Heat Are Not”

1. My family has been Heat Fans for years. Through thick and thin. It’s annoying how now there are all these HEAT haters. What did we ever do to them? Besides try to get good players and win?

Thanks for commenting on the site Janis. Family check out here site as a coach and a parent, it’s everything right for the sports world.

I didn’t mention the decision or any of that stuff because it’s been filling up stories for a year now and we all have our opinions. Heat hating has become an NBA delicacy with virtually no clean up.

I can’t be a part of that and because my kids are playing sports the whole thought of hating an athlete of any ilk sickens me.

3. ks says:

Great posts and comments here and in the other thread. IMO, Coach Spo is definitely on the clock. Miami’s talent covered up a lot of flaws including their coaching and the latter really showed up in this series. He was badly outcoached this series.

If Spo had been seasoned enough, he would’ve pulled a “Phil Jackson” and called out the refs in the media for letting Chandler run wild and take the fine and would’ve dusted off Dampier and sent him in with a very pointed message to “straighten things out”. He also would’ve told his team something along the lines of “if Barea comes into the lane with that weak crap and you don’t knock him on his ass or toss it into the stands, you owe me X amount of dollars each time it happens…”

While those were nuances, his big failures were his ridiculous insistence on sticking with Bibby and not starting Chalmers, not really having set rotations and an amazing inability to make in game, or any, adjustments on the offensive end. There was a key point in the series in Game 2 but just not what’s been portrayed as the storyline in the media.

In Game 2 when the Mavs went to the zone it was a tacit admission that they couldn’t guard the Heat. At this level, the zone is a gimmick defense because there’s too much space for a team to exploit. Spo should’ve looked his team in the eye and said “We got this. They went to a zone because they can’t guard us. Attack!” Instead, his team got passive on offense and Dallas got back in the game.

What was even more remarkable was that Miami had shooters on the bench. So, even if the starters weren’t attacking the zone like they should have, the team had other options to mix it up. Once Carlilse saw that the zone was working and Miami didn’t attack or adjust, Dallas went to it EVERY TIME they were in trouble and Spo never adjusted though he finally started Chalmers in game 6 and gave House and Jones some burn – a little in game 5 and more in game 6.

Overall, I won’t get into the LBJ/Wade/Dirk/Kidd/Terry “+/-” stuff because a couple of bounces the other way and folks percetions would probably be a lot different but I will say this, and I think Dallas realized it, Miami could survive Wade not playing well but they couldn’t survive LBJ not playing well.

4. Boney says:

Very nice write up Mizzo – we had our back and forths over the years but you did right by the Mavs with this write up.

I admit, I fell into the “wanting the good guy to win” thought process after Miami won Game 1. Coming into the series, I know Miami wasn’t good enough to win 2 at Dallas and all the Mavs needed was to steal Game 1 or 2.

This 2-3-2 format doesn’t do the team with “home court advantage” any good because, if you lost 1 of the 2 first games you’re in a big time hole.

Miami needed LeBron to be big this series, and he just didn’t come through when they needed him.

Kidd and Marion were big this series on defense.

5. TheLastPoet says:

Nearly everything I said in previous posts pertaining to how the Bulls could beat the Heat actually applied to the Mavs. Go figure.

Re: Dirk. He is still a 7 foot jump shooter. But he was surrounded by the right type of talent which helped to maximize his skill (similar to Iverson in 2001).

Re: Lebron. He looked worn down from playing so many minutes, and he looked like The Moment was bigger than he, same as last year. I know why most of my fam here wanted him to succeed – middle finger to the haters and all that. But those aren’t basketball reasons, feel me? And the better basketball team won here.

Re: the Heat and their “7 or 8″ chips. I don’t see it. They are good for one or two, certainly. But in a league that includes Kevin Durant and my man DRose, the clock be tickin, know what I’m sayin?

Peace y’all

Ditto, dat dere.

@ks & LP,

Awesome posts.

so there are some hits coming from a board and Sudden Sam asks a question:

Postby Sudden Sam » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:48 pm

I keep thinking it was Jason Terry. Is that right?

He does some digging around and of course comes to this site because of our “information” and posts this:
    by Sudden Sam » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:52 pm

Damn. I’m catchin’ it today.

I Googled ‘black NBA anthem respect salute Maverick turd sumbitch loser’ and got nowhere.

Actually I got hits for Brandon Roy, Jason Terry, the ol’ LSU guy who became Rauf something or other, and a host of guys. I had no idea that attitude was so prevalent amongst the NBA’s slaves…er, millionaires.

That’s what they think about us in their bars, cars, boards, homes, planes, etc…

9. eric daniels says:

I am getting tired of the media ragging on Le Bron for ‘not winning the championship’ when it could have been the Mavericks were the better team in every way. The Heat were outcoached, out played and when it came to the last 5 minutes of the game the Mavericks out played and were just more resilent than the Heat were.

The Heat had flaws before the season started and I said it would cost them a title, a lack of point guard and an enforcer/rebound prescence like a Maurice Lucas or Dennis Rodman type- player. Hopefully Pat Riley will get those two players or if Chamlers is the point guard then start him and get a rebounding prescence in the middle to take the pressure off Bosh.

One man does not win or lose championships it was combination of the Dallas Mavericks experienced players and talent, to the Lebron bashers the Mavs had better talent and a deeper bench and the longer the series went the Heat’s weakness were going to show from their lack of a bench (in part due to sigining the ‘big three) when Chalmers ran the team they looked better.

The Heat had a point guard all season long. Mario Chalmers is just fine. It’s not his fault that they decided until Game 6 to start him. While James and Bosh were holding their dicks, Chalmers was busy shooting 9 free throws and distributing the ball and taking shots no one else wanted.

As for the bigs, Pat Riley went out and got bigs…Miami has a bunch of guys who could have put on the floor. I said this back in March…there was no reason why the Heat didn’t use their bigs for small stretches if for no other reason than to set screens and deliver hard fouls. I had people tell me that Dampier, Big Z, Pittman, and Magliore couldn’t do it. I said — “That’s some bullshit!” If you can’t rotate 3 or 4 guys to give you 2 or 3 minutes at a time of hard-nosed physical ball, you don’t need them on the roster. Cut ‘em tomorrow and sign some hungry short And-One cats.

Miami lost because they CHOSE to lose.

Check the record. James has played in 90+ playoff games. Before this series, he shot as few as 4 FTs in a game in only 8 percent of his games….that means 92% of the time, he was shooting more than 4 FTs in a game…and now ALL OF A SUDDEN, LeBron James plays SIX CONSECUTIVE GAMES against the Mavericks and never shoots more than 4 FTs ONCE?

Really? No — really?

Am I really supposed to believe it was…um….DEFENSE? By Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion? Really?

Nah. Ain’t havin’ it. I don’t know what the statistical odds of that are, but I know the odds are slim…Think about that in any other facet of life…where can you do something 92% of the time against the BEST competition on planet Earth, then suddenly fail to do that same thing 6 consecutive games in a row — against an old short guy and a skinny short guy…while barely breaking a sweat??

That’s like trying to tell your wife that that’s not really your Weiner even though she’s washed those same funky drawers for the last 10 years. “Baby!!!! Wudn’t me!”

Quid pro quo will show and prove. Time will reveal.

Bought and sold like one of Sudden Sams slaves, er, millionaires.

11. eric daniels says:

Temple,

I luv ya brah, you are always goining come straight no chaser, but what about Coach Sprolestra and not making adjustments to Dallas zone defense. An experienced coach would have saw that instead it frustrated the Heat.

Young coaches are like middle managers in large, diversified corporations or government agencies. Every entity like that has rules…visible and invisible.

I simply doubt that Dallas’ defense was so unique, mystifying, perplexing, bewildering, confusing, tenacious, rough and tumble, hardcore, or anything else that Miami couldn’t have hatched a single solution.

I tend not to believe in stupidity or accidents. I know that’s not good since stupidity is so widespread. Still, Coach Spo doesn’t strike me as stupid. He is the Horatio Alger of NBA coaches.

“Rags to riches video guy who rises to coach Pat Riley’s team can’t figure out how to topple Rick Carlisle’s Boston Celtics/Detroit Pistons zone that Riley teams beat in the 1980’s and 1990’s. STORY at 11. EVERGLADE LAND AUCTION TO FOLLOW.”

If you say James refused to do the job, I can believe that. If you say Spoelstra couldn’t figure it out and couldn’t compel or coerce cooperation and couldn’t “win compliance,” I can believe that. Did Carlisle run something that Popovich didn’t? That Mike Brown didn’t? That Doc Rivers didn’t? That Phil Jax didn’t?

Cats are still running the pick and roll after 9 decades — and all these grown ass men can’t figure out how to crack a simple zone and beat Kidd/Marion on the baseline? Really?

The missed free throws and foot dribbling looked real enough, but the rest was simply bizarre and it smacked of Vegas. Where did the money go on this series, anyway? Anyone take a bath?

13. ks says:

LOL! You cats are the truth.

T3, to add more fuel to your fire. Sombody, please explain why when Dallas tosses out an old 2-3 zone in Game 2 and continued to use it while you have the guy who won the 3pt shooting contest AND Eddie House collecting dust and combined they see less time than either Peja, Mahini or Cardinal. In fact, I was off earlier, Jones got no burn 0!!!! minutes in this series.

I know it may not sound that way, but I really don’t mean to dump on Dallas. I actually like many of their players — ok, two of their players (Terry and Kidd), but that’s beside the point. I think they clearly outplayed Miami…it’s just the look and feel of it was “funky.”

Dallas deserved to win. The Mavericks, formerly known as the Cadavericks, were the better team…the grittier team…the tougher team…the teamier team.

And, LP and I expounded on the many flaws of the Heat in the last round, but that doesn’t change what for me seemed like an oddly contrived set of circumstances.

If I were a Mavericks fan, and not someone who has laughed heartily at their pain over the past 11 seasons (the first round exits, the collapse in the Finals in ’06, etc.), I’d be pleased as punch and my blinders would be on like a Steelers fan who thinks the ’05 Super Bowl was legit. Ooops!

All Hail the Cuban! The Billionaire Boys Club’s Last Mohican has a real haircut — at last. It’s a Brazilian. No muss, no fuss, no hair and no more rampages about the woeful officiating of NBA offiicials — and no more investigation into how Miam’s Big 3 came to be.

15. ThelastPoet says:

Temple3 is the truth, just in case y’all forgot!

16. TheLastPoet says:

Eric Daniels, too!

“Who was the NBAer a few years ago, who said he didn’t have to stand for the national anthem because he was a black man?I keep thinking it was Jason Terry. Is that right?”

@Mizz

That would be Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf aka Chris Jackson

18. TC says:

As usual, the comments here are as edifying as the posts themselves. Can’t really add too much. I really don’t know how Spoelstra though, as Temple said, couldn’t run out some bigs to knock Barea on his ass, or how James Jones, as Kos said, got 0 min THE ENTIRE SERIES. And sticking with Bibby? Chalmers had been showing us something whenever he got some burn while Bibby just looks old.

I agree the clock must be ticking on Spoelstra. His Daddy was an NBA exec……interviewing the guy and typically one heard (before the Finals) what a calming influence he was. Well I thought that having Chris Bosh, D. Wade, and LBJ might just help make a coach look good, fawning halftime bits be damned. He didn’t rotate players, he didn’t GET PISSED OFF……he did very little. The haters of LBJ will hate. I really would like to see LBJ embrace the hatred more and use it to fire him up. It seems (despite his protestations), that the commentary gets to him. As Mizzo says, learn to post up, don’t forget how good you are….and I’d say be a bit nastier.

Kudos to the Mavs. Real happy for J. Kidd, Terry, Marion, and Dirk. Well deserved. And Mark Cuban, PLEASE buy my Dodgers…..

Sorry Mizz….I thought you were the one asking the question.

My excuse is that I had just woke up. :-)

20. MODI says:

Great post and comments.

Rooting for Dallas at beginning of series cuz I wanted Dirk, Kidd, Terry, and Cuban to get their last chance at a ring — and especially because the refs so clearly robbed them in 2006. But by the middle of the series, I switched to Miami cuz of all the unwarranted and vitriolic media hate that Lebron was getting. (note: can’t even be a fan anymore)

For many reasons stated I think that Dallas was the better team, and I agree that the addition of Tyson Chandler cannot be overstated. He got all the key clutch rebounds in multiple games, and allows Dirk to play his true game and also not get worn down on D. If Chandler was around for many years, I suspect that Dallas would have one or two more rings. Miami is just structurally flawed. Bosh’s talents are wasted on this team, and they need a rebounder as others mentioned.

I too was scratching my head at coach Spo including not giving other bigs and especially Eddie House some more time. House won a couple of playoff games for Boston a couple of years back.

If Miami retools the roster a bit, they will win it all. Knicks have the same frontcourt problems despite big name superstars…

First I want to say congrats to the Mavs. I am happy for Kidd, Dirk and Terry.

I am most happy for Terry because he has been the scapegoat here in Dallas ever since Howard was traded. I still remember when Dirk questioned his intelligence and basketball IQ in the 2005 NBA playoffs when he left Nash open for that 3 pointer in the Suns series.

Terry has always been the heart and soul of this team. He might not be the best player on the team but he is the leader IMO.

A few quick points.

1. Spo cost this team the Finals more then Lebron. After the 2006 Finals Avery took most of the Heat for his team losing. For years coach Brown in Cleveland took most of the heat for the team having a lack of offensive plays and lack of offensive execution. But for some reason not one joker in the MSM wants to call out Spo for his weak game plan on the offensive end.

2. Chalmers not starting till game 6….another poor move by Spo.

3. Not playing Dampier or Big Z in the series cost the Heat as well.

4. After running the Lebron and Wade Pick N Roll throughout the playoffs all of a sudden the team ran the Lebron and Wade Pick N Roll in the finals maybe 3 or 4 times the whole series.

5. The Heat never went small with Lebron at PF (guarding Dirk) until game 6.

6. Coach Spo never went to bat for his team when it came to the calls in the series. What coach lets his star player Lebron get treated like a scrub and never complains through the media. One of the reasons Lebron couldn’t get in the paint was because the Mavs had players standing in the paint. How in the world do the Mavs not get called for one defensive 3 second in the series and coach Spo doesn’t say anything the whole series.

7. One of the reason that Dirk has played so well the last 2 years is because he hasn’t played and trained with the German national team the last 2 years. IMO he would often get tired as the season went on and into the playoffs. Now that Dirk has won the NBA Championship (and defeated ghetto ball as a racist German news paper called the Heat) he is a national hero in his country. There is no way that he doesn’t play in the Eurobasket to represent his country after sitting out the Worlds last year. The is the biggest thing that can cost the Mavs a repeat. Besides the Lakers reloading as they always have.

8. Tyson Chandler and Marion are the unsung heroes. They did all the heavy lifting and dirty work on the offensive and defensive end.

Now to the nitty gritty………..first I want to say Temple, Ks, GN, ED and LP great points brothas. Since brotha Temple kicked the door down and I can’t hold my tongue any more I am just gonna tell it like it is.

Like Temple said this was the fishest mess I have every seen. I have never seen a star player get calls all throughout the first 3 rounds to all a sudden not be able to get calls in the Finals. You have a coach who basically let his star player get treated like a scrub by the refs and still never complained once to the media. Even Avery complained to the media in 2006. Lebron would get hacked and he never said anything to the media and barely complained to the refs. You never heard Pat Riley (Mr. send tapes to the league office) was sending tapes to the league office on missed calls.

Add to the fact that the coach stopped running plays that worked in th eastern conference series. Spo would run Lebron on the high post and the Heat would score on 3 or 4 straight possesions. Then all of a sudden the Heat would stop running the play.

Then to top it off you had owners calling up a hated villain in Cuban to wish him luck in the Finals. You had coaches all across the league helping coach Carlisle during the finals. Then you had those fools on ABC during the game pointing out every foul, travel and flop that the Heat got away with while ignoring all the illegal activity that the Mavs were getting away with. Funny how folks would complain about Lebron flopping but ignore Barea flopping like a dolphin at Sea World as he pressed Bibby or Chalmers down the court. Once the media, Owners and coaches started banding against these dudes openly like that it smacked of Vegas as brotha Temple said but it also smacked of the ultimate payback.

Oh and all of a sudden the great complainer Cuban shuts his mouth for the whole playoffs. Cuban submitted a post on his blog right before the playoffs and hasn’t said a word on his blog since then.

22. [...] Dallas defeated Miami to claim the NBA 2010-2011 championship, the series seemed to be of what the Heat didn’t [...]

23. [...] 46-40 points in the paint and 40-35 rebounding advantage for the Heat. The Thunder get nothing from down low despite the world knowing that’s where you must attack Miami. It’s a definitive Heat weakness Oklahoma City has yet to exploit. OKC was 3-16 from the arc; Miami 10-26. Too much young stuff in the clutch. Again, Finals experience. OKC will be stronger after suffering the same pain Miami was married to after losing to Dallas. [...]

24. [...] know about the Miami Heat unified front. A front that learned and fine tuned its focus after losing to Dallas in the 2011 Finals. Stick together young fellas. The only way to get it done is to tune everything out and do it [...]