The Black Athlete Today: The Nation Magazine Sports Issue

I’m honored to be a part of The Nation’s second sports issue. The mag is now available where mags are sold or my piece can be viewed here. A few months back Dave Zirin (who edited this edition) asked me to write a piece on the state of the Black athlete for what is truly a remarkable issue. The variety of writers allows readers a view rarely seen in sports journalism and should shake things up a bit. This opportunity lets me branch out and show the mainstream what The Starting Five is all about, my intentions as a writer and to also give the The Nation’s readership a perspective provoking no holds barred thought and all inclusive creativity. Hopefully, folks will begin to see sports journalism with a little more objectivity than the 24 hour news cycle allows.

Very appreciative to all of you because without the supportive push and also tough love challenge you’ve given the writers and I, there’s no way this opportunity is extended.

Below, Katrina vanden Heuvel, editor and publisher, and the aforementioned Dave Zirin, discuss the authors asked to pen pieces for the unique issue and also provide a view of the political mag’s history regarding essays on sports during its 146 years of existence. Near the end of the 11 minute clip, DZ puts myself and the site in a great light.

It looks like you don’t have Adobe Flash Player installed. Get it now.

Nation link to interview
Thank you family…I’m excited for The Nation and also for you to see my work in an issue both forthright and profound.

The Starting Five Live Daily Podcast

| Open Player in New Window

8 Responses to “The Black Athlete Today: The Nation Magazine Sports Issue”

1. MODI says:

Excellent article Miz!

“One [athlete] who preferred to remain anonymous said to me, ‘I don’t speak out because all I’ll be doing is giving material to the local sports-radio assholes. Why would I want to make their lives easier?’

We need a movement to defend African-American athletes and their right to speak out, so they will feel they have a base of support.”

I think this last sentence is the key, but it will take a much broader network of support than we currently have for that movement to challenge the “local radio assholes” and TV ones too. I guess that is the goal to work toward.

2. CAvard says:

Very proud of you Mike!

Congrats, Miz, and I’ll be buying a copy of the magazine today as a collector’s item so I can say I knew you when.

Onward and upward, my brother.

4. TheLastPoet says:

Congratulations, brother. God Shines Through.

I, too, will be making that purchase today – and I’m buying this liberal Nation bullsh*t just for you, so you owe me one. Lol!

LP:

You’re a riot!

Brotha Miz You have been putting in work this month. I will be purchasing this magazine for your article also brotha.

Also wanted to say great interviews that you had on the batchelor pad last month.

7. Thanks for listening O. Appreciate that. Those brothas have a good show.

8. Big Man says:

Hey guys. Just read an interview with AK47 about the NBA: Y’all need to check it out, particularly since this is included:
    A Russian man has been traditionally notable for his great physical power (that is to say, the muscles). Without muscles you have no place in modern basketball, especially if you are a center. But compared to the Americans we look quite feeble. Why is is so? (?????)

– We look quite feeble, I agree. But looking at the training of a guy who starts playing in college and continues his career in the league, you can’t imagine how much time they spend in gyms in America. A hundred times more than we do. People don’t only play basketball, but also work out regularly, whole programs are developed there. We lag behind in this regard, we try to play more with our talent, we want to prevail with tactics, approach, ‘intelligent’ basketball, I’d say. In America it’s purely one-on-one game – you have to be stronger, faster, jump better. It’s also the nature that favors black players making them physically stronger than we are – that is a scientifically proven fact.

The link is: http://www.sports.ru/en/basketball/115803453.html