Blockbuster news coming out of the NFL.

I wrote a short commentary after Terrelle Pryor left the Ohio State program. ESPN’s Adam Schefter tweeted earlier Pryor would be eligible for the NFL supplemental draft August 22.

It has also been reported that Pryor will serve a 5 game suspension because he failed to cooperate with Ohio State investigation and hired an agent which is against NCAA rules.

Wait… the NFL did what?

Until the law of the land goes hardcore after boosters who come after impressionable kids with gifts, money and whatever else, the NCAA will continue to be a farce. Pay the kids. Now.  All of them. Come up with some sort of pay scale fair for every athlete. Money is being generated so quit fattening the already fat rats kicking back and collecting stacks. This in no way condones any Pryor wrongdoing but more about the NFL setting a dangerous precedent getting involved in NCAA affairs. I wonder if writers will mention that Pryor was heading into his senior season and therefore eligible for the regular draft if it were held today anyway. Hmmm.

Apparently the suspension was handed down with the NFLPA’s approval.

Wow.

Drew Rosenhaus you are now on the clock.

16 Responses to “Terrelle Pryor Eligible for NFL Supplemental Draft…but…Will be Suspended 1st 5 Regular Season Games”

sooooooo….huh? How can Goodell suspend him for what he may or may not have done in College?

2. Ron Glover says:

I hope they’re knocking on Pete Carroll’s door, taking back Lombardi trophies from the Cowboys, removing more Heisman Trophies from mantles and making scorched earth of any and every other trangressor of the “Shield”.

Ron, a friend of mine JUST emailed me and asked when will Pete Carroll be suspended!

My guess is the first of Neveruary.

4. t. friend says:

I think Roger Goodell has lost his mind. Pryor is being punished unfairly. I believe he is just as good as the other qbs taken in the last two drafts. There is no way the NFLPA should go along with this. A dangerous precedent. Oh yeah check out this GQ article on Mike Vick. It is gonna be eaten up by the white media writers as he has not learned and is not humble enough. I say enough is enough he should tell them to get off his back finally.

5. kos says:

Does this mean that Goodell and the NCAA are going to announce that the NCAA is now officially the NFL’s minor league? That’s the only way that I can see that NFL has any right to suspend a player for his transgressions in college. What’s worse is the NFLPA signed off on this. I know Pryor isn’t a pro yet, but dag, they should have a problem with this.

One of the things that the NFL Players were trying to get in negotiations were a curtail of Goodell’s powers. I’m convinced that they should have fought harder for this. Goodell is the only commissioner in all of sports that is playing judge, jury, and executioner. At least the rest of sports leagues have an assistant commissioner to dole out “Just us”.

As another note, I’ve seen how glowingly announcers and other coaches speak of Jim Tressel. Does anyone else think this is payback for Tressel having to resign? Most commentators are blaming Pryor for OSU’s problems, even though you have players from before Pryor got to OSU that admit that they broke the rules and Tressel knew. Heck, a fellow coach says he saw Tressel breaking the rules when they were both assistants at OSU, and Tressel got Youngstown State in trouble.

6. t. friend says:

Vick’s response to something in the article.
    “I felt it was necessary to put out a statement today clarifying the article in GQ Magazine. I did speak with many people, but the decision to sign in Philadelphia was based on my discussions with my agent, my family and with Coach Reid. And after those discussions, it became clear to me that this was the place I wanted to play and resume my NFL career. The Commissioner never told me to sign or not sign with particular teams. Again, I want to make it perfectly clear that this was a decision I made and, as I have said numerous times before, I’m very happy with the way it has worked out for me and my family.”

7. t. friend says:

Goodell with this Vick thing has fucked himself. He tried to get over on Vick, but Vick won out in Philly. Now he has to explain this too Ralph Wilson and Mike Brown. The Eagles will definitely shut down any future Vick interviews.

8. Ron Glover says:

As I stated earlier in the week Pryor will be a gunner on special teams before he stands under center in the NFL.

If Rosenhaus has any balls, he’s on the phone negotiating a deal for Pryor in the CFL, I’m talkin Rocket Ismail/Toronta Argonauts money.

I really don’t understand the authority that Goodell has to suspend a player from 5 games before he’s even actually in the league. This doesn’t make sense to me.

Oh and this is hilarious – I love how “un”-contrite Vick is being. LOL
    ___________________________
    Michael Vick is the subject of the next issue of ESPN The Magazine, which goes on sale Aug. 24.

In it, The Mag’s David Fleming looks at how Vick transformed the Eagles last season and examines if he can do the same for the NFL. Also included are Fleming’s examination about how Vick’s crimes still divide fans, plus Seth Wickersham’s behind-the-scenes story about Vick’s days in federal prison.

“My situation is clearly not a black and white thing, it was a respect and a disrespect for the law thing,” Vick told The Mag.

He also addresses people who still hate him because of his role in dogfighting.

“I dismissed those people the first day I got out of prison,” Vick said. “There may still be masses of people who feel that way. Just don’t put it in my face. Because I will take the initiative to put it back in your face. They can continue to say this is phony or fictitious, but they should focus on something more productive and positive.”

The NFL is a Joke. How can you suspend someone who hasn’t even been drafted.

@Miranda – Looks like Vick has been hanging around Lebron….LOL!! Goodness now you telling me for the next 6 months I have to hear about how Vick needs to be humbled. Plus everytime the Eagles lose Gregg Doyle will be there asking Vick why did he come up short in the clutch.

So if the Eagles don’t win the Superbowl I have to hear how Vick isn’t humbled and hasn’t learned his lesson.

Didn’t I already see this nonsense play out with Lebron. Lord this will be a very longgggg NFL season.

11. T. Friend this is something we knew of here way back when Vick signed. Not surprising.

12. FB comments:

Diallo Tyson: Does this mean they’ll start withholding benefits from retired players if they get arrested after they retire?

Michael Tillery: No…they’ll withhold benefits before they retire based on a preconceived notion they will be arrested sometime before they kick the bucket. They’ll begin to say…this guy will be arrested in 2015, this old cat in 2035 and that kid over there in the stroller? Yeah he’s a crook. Let’s suspend him for the first 2 seasons. We can’t have a 7 foot qb from the hood in the league no can we?

13. Ron Glover says:

For all of Gene Upshaw’s “flaws” in the NFLPA, he woulda never went for this bullshit. Pryor isn’t a member of the NFLPA until he collects a check. They bent over for Goodell again. NO VASALINE!

True RG……they don’t have Gene Upshaw to blame this time. Oh and it looks like Kenny Britt will be suspended for his actions during the LOCKOUT.

15. I’m trying to get an interview with David Cornwell…Pryor’s lawyer…and ask some questions you all want the answers to.

I think the distinction is that the rules violation of hiring an NFL agent pertains directly to soliciting work in the league. It’s not purely a violation — as in an on campus violation related to activities AT Ohio State, but rather it relates to PROSPECTIVE activities as an employee of some NFL team.

More l8r. thx Mizzzz!!!!