Ron Glover’s NFL Predictions: Week 5

Al Davis and John Madden

I’m sure that the NFL familiy will do it’s part as a whole to remember NFL pioneer and Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis who passed away yesterday.

The Raiders will be playing with heavy hearts as they are in Houston to take on the 3-1 Texans. We also get two divisional playoff rematches from last season as the Green Bay Packers take on the Falcons in Atlanta and the NY Jets look to defeat the New England Patriots in Foxboro. Bye weeks for the Browns, Cowboys, Dolphins, Rams, Ravens and Redskins

Sunday October 9, 2011

Games Beginning at 1pm:

Tennessee Titans (3-1) at Pittsburgh Steelers (2-2) – Rashard Mendenhall is out for today’s game, the problems for the Steelers are coming in bunches. Somehow Mike Tomlin gets his players to rally.

Prediction: Steelers 20 – Titans 13

Oakland Raiders (2-2) at Houston Texans (3-1) –  There are plenty of appreciative players on the Oakland Raiders who feel as though they owe Al Davis for an opportunity. This will be their day to show it.

Prediction: Raiders 27 – Texans 17

Kansas City Chiefs (1-3) at Indianapolis Colts (0-4) – Man, do I feel for the broadcasters of this one.

Colts 17 – Chiefs 9

Cincinnati Bengals (2-2) at Jacksonville Jaguars (1-3) – The Bengals outscored the Bills 20-3 in the second half in a great come from behind win.

Prediction: Bengals 24 – Jaguars 7

Seattle Seahawks (2-2) at NY Giants (3-1) – Tom Coughlin making fools of us all again.

Prediction: Giants 24 – Seahawks 6

Arizona Cardinals (1-3) at Minnesota Vikings (0-4) – Hard to believe that Kevin Kolb has as many wins as Donovan McNabb and Michael Vick one month into the season.

Prediction: Vikings 27 – Cardinals 18

New Orleans Saints (3-1) at Carolina Panthers (1-3) – I think the Panthers have a real shot today, I don’t know why but I do.

Prediction: Panthers 28 – Saints 24

Philadelphia Eagles (1-3) at Buffalo Bills (3-1) – Talk about your reversal of fortune. A loss today is going to cost someone their job, maybe not Andy Reid but someone will be gone.

Prediction:  Eagles 29 – Bills 23

Games Beginning at 4pm:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-1) at San Francisco 49′ers (3-1) – The Niners are feeling good about themselves after coming back from down twenty in Philly last week. Legarrette Blount is just as much of a problem as Frank Gore.

Prediction: Bucs 23 – Niners 17

NY Jets (2-2) at New England Patriots (3-1) – Will the Jets run the ball against a team that struggles to stop it. If Darrelle Revis is an island, Patriots DT Vince Wilfork is a continent.

Predictios: Patriots 34 – Jets 20

San Diego  Chargers (3-1) at Denver Broncos (1-3) – No one notices the Chargers at this point, and they want to keep it that way.

Prediction: Chargers 30 – Broncos 21

Green Bay Packers (4-0) at Atlanta Falcons (2-2) – I don’t know if Matt Ryan has ever recovered from last season’s playoff exit.

Packers 34 – Falcons 21

Monday October 10, 2011, 8:30 pm:

Matt Forte

Chicago Bears (2-2) at Detroit Lions (4-0) – Matt Forte was great last week . Nick Fraley may debut tomorrow night. Damn, the Lions are 4-0.

Prediction: Lions 24 – Bears 16

Last Week: 9-7

2011 Season: 28-24

41 Responses to “Ron Glover’s NFL Predictions: Week 5”

Eagles….Jeez on both sides of the ball

Goodness gracious Shaub is horrible……….but I am happy for the Raiders though.

Why didn’t Schaub just run that ball in himself??

The Eagles just refuse to win…this has to be a choice thing, they are choosing to do this.

Damn….the 49ers defense is playing lights out.

5. Julius says:

Wow. You think the Eagles are having a bit of buyer’s remorse with that 100 mil contract? Blame Reid and his schemes all you want, but when the QB hoists up 4 INTs you figure he should shoulder some of the blame. Ugly. That said, it really is incumbent on Reid to shake up what isn’t working, which is just about everything except Vicks’s running game.

I did not think the Bucs would get beat like that.

Josh Freeman? Shhhhhhh!

Get ‘em next week son.

8. Man Bah Humbug or whatever…

9. Bucs coming off a short week and had to go play on west coast. Not a good mix.

Gotta step up to the next level…winning conference games on the road…that’s how playoff teams are made. They’ve already let Detroit come in and paint all the furniture BLUE, TWICE since late last year. Josh is killin’ me in FFL. To the pine for now.

Actually, my take on his game today (in the moment) was that this is the LAST time I start a QB that doesn’t have at least one elite receiver who is capable of fighting for the rock. He had one of his early picks go to the Niners because his guy gave up on the ball. Urgency, meticulous route running — all that need to come for this team to get to the next level. Matt’s got Roddy. Matthew’s got Megatron. Cam’s got Steve. Drew’s got Marques. Everybody need some body sometime. Josh needs somebody.

Frank Gore did same thing to Bucs that he did to Eagles: took the fight to ‘em and straight on through ‘em.

13. Ron Glover says:

Frank Gore must be as pissed off as I am.

“Josh needs somebody”

Thats what I have been saying for the longest. Until that young man can get a real WR he is screwed and the team won’t get to the next level.

But as Mizzo said no surprise with the short week and west coast trip. Plus they are the youngest team in the league.

I suppose it’s tough for a team to keep its composure after a win on MNF. Still, road games in the conference to non-division opponents are a HUGE deal. There are only 2 of them on the schedule and if you win them, you have a tremendous advantage in making the playoffs and playing at home.

When I look at the overall strength of teams, I look at the ability of teams to win on the road, especially against their division and conference opponents. TB has already lost to Detroit at home this season….and it was their loss at home to Detroit last season that let the Packers into the post-season.

It’s too early to expect this team to have a razor sharp focus every week, but if they’re losing this game next season and the year after, there will be trouble. SF lost their big road games last year to Minnesota and Philadelphia. This year, they’ve beaten Philly and next week, they’re at Detroit. If they win that game, they’ll probably win their division by 4 games and host a playoff game — against Detroit or Philadelphia. Hmmmm.

It is possible that the Buccaneers took SF lightly since they beat them 21-0 last year in SF. Who knows. Either way, I’m disappointed that a team with that degree of talent and a power running game got smoked 48-3, short week or no, young or old. They were terrible.

It was telling last week on MNF that one of the talking heads touched on the fact that while TB had much room under the salary cap that the front office only went out and got Koenen as the punter. Hmmm as Mike Lombardi quoted Bill Walsh as saying only a few teams try to win every year and I guess Bucs management isn’t ready to double down for greatness yet.

Harvey don’t forget that Malcolm Glazer been crying broke for a few years. Plus he owns manchester united.

And what Bill Walsh said some years ago is so true. But the intelligent folks at TSF been saying that for years.

This season is a perfect example of folks straight up trying to lose…..cough cough colts.

Who did Steve Smith hit on the sneak tip yesterday? LMAO – he got “little man anger” for real.

So Harvey whats your guage on the situation in Philly. I know some Eagles fans who swear this is the end for Reid. I guess since Mcnabb isn’t there to blame the heat is on Reid.

I just don’t believe cheap skate Lurie will eat that contract.

If the Eagles aren’t in the playoff picture going into the last month of the season then I could see Lurie actually eating Reid’s contract and cleaning house. I like Reid but there’s no excuse for what’s happening on the field to this team this season. How hard would it have been to get Leonard Davis or Andre Gurode for the line when Dallas let them go or keeping Stewart Bradley to at least hold the line for the LB corps? If he and the front office couldn’t do that then he and the coaching staff could at least roll Vick out of the pocket more or go with double TE sets and run the ball on offense and having Castillo tailor the defense to fit the talent he actually has like keeping Asomaugha as a shut down man corner instead of playing some damn zone.

Really though I’m still an Eagles fan but something happened after the McNabb trade for me that took the fire out of my fandom. I like Vick very much and I can admit DMac may have lost something on his fastball but seeing MY team turned over to a guy in Kevin Kolb who couldn’t carry DMac’s jock and then having the same thing done to MV7 that was done to DMac in carrying the whole team is just sapping it out of me.

@Miranda:

If you saw what I saw — That was Roman Harper. Smith scored a TD and Harper hit him 3 or 4 yards into the end zone. Harper should have known he was going to enter The Crumple Zone as soon as he did that, but I guess he didn’t know. Steve Smith is really not someone to be trifling with…at all.

Scratch that. It was #27 Malcolm Jenkins. I’m not sure why Jenkins would get himself in the middle of that mess.

23. Julius says:

Of all the nonsensical arguments I’ve seen trying to explain the Eagles’ failures this season, the complaint that they haven’t brought in sufficient personnel for a winning team takes the cake. The fact is that all these superstars who anointed themselves a dream team are laying a big fat egg, including Vick. Putting all the blame on Reid is just absurd and reeks of bias.

The Eagles definitely have enough talent to win games.

They’re just lucky that Steven Jackson was injured after his big run to start that game in Week 1. Who knows…he could have ripped off 300 big ones.

T3, I saw the clip…..

He really did look at Jenkins like “Imma do my lil dance first, but just wait right there”…. ROFLMAO He did his shimmy shake and then it was on! OMG, that was hilarious!

“Putting all the blame on Reid is just absurd and reeks of bias.”

*snicker*

Oh Julius is are so silly……….silly in a stupid, dumb and funny kind of way.

Also the team never anointed themselves as a dream team. The media took a comment by VY and ran away with it.

So Mr. Julius who should I blame for not running the ball more then 10 times a game (minus Vicks runs). Who should I blame for having a poor OL yet passing the ball like its going out of style. Who should I blame for letting the best LB they had leave only to start a rookie outside LB at middle LB. Who should I blame for having a bunch of one trick pony WRs (except for Avant) who can’t make tough catches over the middle (Even though the team has needed a large physical WR since T.O. left.). Who should I blame for having an OL coach be the defensive coordinator. The same D coordinator who is running a wide nine defense even though his LBs as big as Bushwick Bill and who has all pro CBs who are known for man to man defense playing zone defense.

You are so right I can’t put this on Reid.

“He really did look at Jenkins like “Imma do my lil dance first, but just wait right there”

I almost died laughing when I was watching the game. Steve Smith is that dude….he might be the toughest lil dude in the league.

Harvey I understand where you are coming from with your frustration with the Eagles. But this stuff doesn’t surprise me I have been following this team since I was a kid in the 80s.

When Mcnabb was healthy and able to use his legs he never had the talent around him (except for 1 1/2 years with T.O. and his last year there) that Vick has now. But he did have a good OL for most of his career. Vick leaves Falcolns after playing for years behind a crap OL only to join the Eagles and play behind another crap OL.

The Eagles had Cunningham and wasted his talents because they never had an OL or running game and his coach refused to give him any type of coaching. The Eagles then get Mcnabb give him the QB coaching and OL that Cunningham never had. But waste his talents by never surrounding him with a speedy powerful back (Andrews instead of Steven Jackson) and multiple playmaker WRs (except T.O. 1 1/2 years and last year with the team). Then after his 5th season his head coach loses his mind and never calls a balanced offense again with him behind center.

Leading us to Vick who is probably the most talented out of Cunningham and Mcnabb. Vick ends up getting the coaching that Cunningham never received and the playmakers that Mcnabb didn’t have in his youth. However Vick ends up with the OL that is as bad if not worse then what Cunningham had and a head coach that is just as nuts if not more then the one that Mcnabb had after his 5th season.

IMO never in the history of the league has one team inherited this much talent at the QB position over a 25 year period only to absolutely waste these QBs talents and fail to surround these men with the necessary weapons and coaching to win. But as I said before no surprise I mean these are the Eagles that we are talking about.

Don’t like the Eagles, never have, never will, but….

It’s too early to throw the team under the bus. For media types and fans who are in the throes of panic, now is a good time to exhale. Fans need to just relax and get behind their team — and recognize that the team may not get to .500 until Week 8 or 9 or 10 or even Week 11. And, they need to know that the season STILL will not be over by then.

Does anyone in Philly really think that the Giants, Cowboys, or Redskins are even CAPABLE of running away with the division? If they do, they should move to New York or Dallas or DC and let those fans know because they don’t even believe it.

The Eagles haven’t even played Dallas or Washington yet…and they still have a game to play vs. the Giants. In 2008, the Eagles got thrashed 36-7 at Baltimore, had their QB benched —– and STILL made the NFC Championship game.

These fans and team are made for each other — for the most part. Prone to panic, short memories, huge ups and downs, and a history of disappointing finishes. What a combustible mix.

HAHA too funny brotha Temple.

I am with you as I have said during the season and before the season. The Eagles would be like the Heat last season in the NBA. Get off to a slow start and everyone will doubt them and jump up and down and say they are done. Then make a playoff run and come up short in the conf. championship game.

Turnover machine Rex is there and I don’t trust Eli as long as Plax isn’t his WR to bail out his garbage lob passes that he throws up so he won’t get hit.

This should read

“I don’t trust turnover machine Rex and I don’t trust Eli as long as Plax isn’t his WR to bail out his garbage lob passes that he throws up so he won’t get hit.”

33. Julius says:

““Putting all the blame on Reid is just absurd and reeks of bias.”

*snicker*”
    ——————————————–

What’s that Miranda? You’re saying that the players aren’t responsible for playing? It’s all on the coach? Seriously?

Lotta blame to go around. 3rd in total yards, 1st in rushing, 11th in points. LAST in turnovers in NFC. Lotta blame, but at the end of the day, uneasy lies the head that wears the crown.

How are the Eagles and Steelers both -10 in takeaway/giveaway? Gotta be the stat of the year.

36. kos says:

T3 -

For the Steelers, Ben hasn’t been careful enough in protecting the ball. Part of it is the line not providing protection. Maybe Starks is a missing piece. He did pretty well this past weekend.

For the Eagles, it’s mostly about the line not providing any protection. Reid & company knew about this during camp but didn’t do anything about it……

37. Corin Brown says:

This is football. It’s a team game, starting with the owner and finishing with the valets in the practice facility lot. There are 25 starters and a holder in a squad and usually at least a dozen coaches. The idea that any one person can be responsible for winning or losing a SB is absurd. A SB winning team is a cooperative. So is a losing team. Individual achievement may carry the day but it will never carry an entire team for a 22 week season. Regarding the Eagles: how many SB’s has Andy Reid won as a head coach in the NFL? Zero. Mike Vick? Zero. As far as I’m concerned, both these guys haven’t done anything and deserve the record they have. The only Eagle who knows anything about winning a SB is Asante Samuel. Maybe he should coach the team. He couldn’t do any worse!

Reid’s got a Super Bowl ring, doesn’t he? Was he not part of a “cooperative” in Green Bay, Wisconsin back in the 90′s.

39. Corin Brown says:

Head coach. He coached o-line for the SB with Packers. His only head coaching job has been with the Eagles. I think it’ll be his last.

I feel you CB, but I just to make sure I am hearing you correctly. If Reid was coaching the O-line, especially against a Bill Parcells-coached team, and against Jimmy Johnson-coached teams, he might actually know a thing or two about winning a Super Bowl. If it’s a “team” game, his role coaching up the Big Uglies has to mean something — at least as much as Asante Samuel.

Anyway, like I said — I feel you, for sure. I just think the Eagles need to use what Reid used back in Green Bay — a power running game. Edgar Bennett (6’0″, 217) and Dorsey Levens (6’1″, 230) were much more powerful runners than any back that Reid has had during his tenure in Philadelphia.

Of course, Duce Staley couldn’t stay healthy with McNabb, but he was a formidable complement when healthy. Too bad they didn’t get to play more games together. (Staley’s career high in y/pg actually came in Pittsburgh!)

Somewhere along the line, he’s become deluded into the notion that he can win with elite, light-in-the-ass Care Bear backs like Westbrook and McCoy. Shit ain’t happnin’.

41. Corin Brown says:

You might be right. But I’m not sure the problem is the players or the style of offensive play calling. Look at SF: same players + different, excellent coach = 180 degree change in results. Also, the recent, radical rule changes which are quickly scrubbing the hitting out of the game seems to have forced teams to emphasize passing attacks over running attacks.

For whatever reason, the Eagles just aren’t responding to Reid. Their talent level is high but it’s the turnovers and mistakes that are killing them – the same things behind most losing seasons, no surprise there. Most people put that on the players but I think it’s due to a failed connection between the coach and the players.

After all that, Reid still kills his team every game with his disastrous clock and timeout management. And what’s with giving his O-line coach the DC job? Who ever heard of such a thing? He’s got to go!

Take the last word. I’ve thought too much about these guys, already!