The Starting Five Diva Debate: Pam Oliver vs. Jayne Kennedy

Here at The Starting Five we’re always looking to improve as a site while remaining  true to our values and core readers.

Very rarely do we focus on women of color and their impact on sports, entertainment, media and our everyday lives. So what I’ve decided to do is have a weekly Diva Debate.  I will select two women from the same field and allow our readers debate on whatever they choose, body of work, contributions to that field or just sheer beauty. It will feature current women in these industries as well as some from the past that we may have forgotten about - don’t worry I have a decent list in hand. Improvements will be made as we gain feedback and thanks as always.

Our first debate features Pam Oliver, All-American at FAMU in the 400-meter and mile relay NFL sideline reporter from Fox Sports since 1995 and is also a reporter with TNT during the NBA Playoffs. She will go against Jayne Kennedy, former Miss Ohio in 1970. She is also a former member of the groundbreaking NFL Today pregame show in 1978.

11 Responses to “The Starting Five Diva Debate: Pam Oliver vs. Jayne Kennedy”

1. eric daniels says:

Pam Oliver has been at her profession longer than Jayne Kennedy who started out as a true “Model -Actress” IN THE 70′S, unlike those girls on Basketball wives when that term usually means “video hoe and stripper”. Oliver started doing sports news in Tampa in the late 80′s – early 90′s before going to Dallas then Fox Sports. But Jayne is a true pioneer because she was the first African- American woman to do sports on Network T.V. when it was rare. Both are lookers and FIONE as hell, but I give the edge to Oliver because she must have really had to pay dues racial and sexual in order to have this lengthy career.

Remember Jayne Kennedy and Irv Cross on CBS? As best I can recall, they were the first 2 black folks to have positions in national broadcasting of football games. I’m going with the pioneer. No Jayne and who knows when Pam Oliver gets to knock down the door.

Musberger, Jimmy “the Greek” Snyder, Cross, Kennedy, Tom Brookshier and Pat Summerall doing Cowboys games…that was 70′s football….when John Madden was STILL COACHING.

Just out of curiosity, where does Ms. Monster’s “Give it to me Billy Bob” Ball fit in the convo?

4. eric daniels says:

Oh Temple,

Not with the Best Actress winner who fucked Billy Bob in a loveless, sexless scene for the Oscar. All set up by Lee Daniels ( Precious)

5. Ron Glover says:

That just for the sake of the page, shoulda went Serena.

I was, um, just axin’.

I’m not mad at Lee Daniels. I think he has done some VERY good work and he think he has tons of stories to tell that will be worth watching. And some will get critical acclaim (because they soothe the psyches of the psychotic supremacists) and others will not. As for HB — I’m not all that mad at her either. She’s just a working stiff. The body of work is very difficult to build for Black women in H’wood. Hollywood is what it is. Pro-gay, pro-Jewish, pro-Israeli (not the same thing), pro-formula, anti-black, anti-women, pro-stereotype, etc. It’s all of those things and quite a few things I excluded. So, this is a tough hustle for anyone who walks down that path. I hate the game and some of the players, but not all.

And for the record, Hollywood is fairly insistent that Black men of stature also have a sexual preference for other men. At this juncture there is no need to name names, but by and large, Is suspect the ratio of highly successful gay vs. straight Black men in Hollywood is something like 10:1, or higher. Daniels fits the bill, so his success comes with caveats (talent, notwithstanding). It also suggests (though it doesn’t mean for certain) that he will tell some stories that others will not. And he will receive support others will not.

The Precious movie was widely acclaimed. I passed because I stopped paying for or watching Negro pathology movies many years ago. Hollywood sensationalizes the worst in us and the best in white folks. That’s a form of cultural terrorism that I prefer not to subsidize. So, Daniels and others are always taken with a grain of Sahara desert sand…because they have a vested interest…as do I.

My interest is in my mental health.

9. sankofa says:

What Temple said!!!!!

From Lee Daniels:

“I’m a little homo, I’m a little Euro and I’m a little ghetto.”

You can’t make this stuff up.

There is simply a great deal of money to be made by trafficking in Negro pathology. If you can make Black Devils, you can have all the gifts that white folk are willing to bestow on their favored underlings…anything from a corner office to a “discretionary blond” (surplus from the bottle: OJ, Tiger Woods, etc., etc., etc., etc.).

What a bunch of DUPES!