The Miami Heat blew an 18-point lead, but the sharp shooting of rookie Norris Cole was enough to hold off a furious Celtics rally as the Heat held on for a 115-107 victory.

What Happened: The Heat seemed to be moving at warp speed the entire game, trying to literally run the Celtics out of the building. Lebron James (26 pts, 6 rebs and 5 assts.) seemed to be everywhere, even following up a missed alley-oop attempt to Dwayne Wade (24 pts. 8 assts.). The Celtics 15 first half turnovers were converted into 23 points for the home team who exploded for 39 second quarter points. Chris Bosh played a very solid game with 18 points and 11 rebounds. The Celtics late rally was led by Ray Allen who finished with 28 points including six 3-pointers. Rajon Rando continued to be the catalyst for the Celtics offense with another exceptional all-around performance finishing with 22 points, 8 rebounds, 12 assists, the one drawback was his 7 turnovers. The Celtic bench was fueled by Kenyon Dooling (18 points) Brandon Bass was key off the bench once again with 13 points. Kevin
Garnett contributed with 12 points in 32 minutes of action.

But the story of the night was Cole who finished with 20 points.Selected 28th overall in the first round in last spring’s
draft, Cole has been a pleasant surprise since training camp and may push Mario Chalmers for the starting point guard spot.

What’s Next:  Both teams are in action tonight as Miami faces Charlotte and the Celtics take
on New Orleans.

9 Responses to “Rookie Norris Cole Scores 14 Points In The 4th Quarter As Miami Heat Hold Off The Boston Celtics 115-107”

I watched the kid (Cole) play against the Mavs on Xmas day. Maybe it’s just me, but his play kinda reminded me of Chris Paul. The way he was penetrating and dishing the rock to the open man, setting his teammates up, etc. I was telling my brothers that from what I was seeing from him on the court, he is gonna be a very good player.

I think Chalmers’ days as a starter are numbered.

Also…..Shaq has to be the most boring analyst ever…..lol.

@GN:

I like Chalmers a great deal, but the Heat would do better with a pure point guard, who also happens to be able to drop 30 vs. a guy who can drop 30 and who happens to play a bit of point on the side. Chalmers is the second guy….Cole is the first.

I was just talking to a friend about body lean and how true point guards play at an almost 90 degree angle. You can draw a straight line from their eyes to the tip their toes…so no matter what else is going on with their bodies, they’re relatively under control. Scorers are different. They play at a sharper angle — as if to facilitate cutting through the defense…and that angle can go from as little as 25 degrees to 75 degrees, but its almost always less than 90.

Chalmers seems to always play at less than 90 degrees. True point guards seem to keep that 90 degree thing going until the point of no return and they force defenders to commit before deciding on their final course of action. It’s a highly evolved skill. Very hard to teach to grown ups.

4. Ron Glover says:

T3: As I visualize your description Deron Williams immediately comes to mind for me.

Good stuff T3….I totally agree.

6. [...] had just 10 on 5-13 shooting but did hit the game winner. Mario Chalmers looking inspired after Norris Cole’s big game last night, made half of his 12 shot attempts for 15. Mario also had 4 assists. Each of the Big 3 had 2 [...]

7. TheLastPoet says:

T3,

I’m not a “Moneyball”-slash-stat geek type of cat, but your description of “body lean” is fascinating. Actually, what you describe is less like “moneyball” and more like artistry. Very interesting, and it rings true. Thanks.