Championship Sunday: A Tale Of…

(Photo:AP)

Billy Cundiff…meet Gary Anderson and Scott Norwood…

Two cities, two brothers and two kickers.  In what turned out to be two of the best conference title games in recent memory the New England Patriots and New York Giants find themselves in Super Bowl XLVI courtesy of placekickers.

The Baltimore Ravens Billy Cundiff’s 32-yard field goal attempt sailed wide left. Allowing the Patriots to hang on for a 23-20 victory, returning the Patriots to the Super Bowl for the first time in four years.

The Giants Lawrence Tynes kicked a 31-yard field goal in overtime, defeating the San Francisco 49′ers 20-17 and punching the Giants ticket to Indianapolis for a rematch of Super Bowl XLII against the Patriots.

Neither Harbaugh - Jim nor John will be coaching in this game. Instead the focus will be on Tom Brady, a nemesis and Eli Manning, the brother trying to win the NFL’s greatest prize on the home field of the most talked about quarterback this season, Peyton Manning.

10 Responses to “Championship Sunday: A Tale Of…”

First off, the Patriots are going to get beat down in this game. The Giants offense, with a healthy Ahmad Bradshaw and with Hakeem Nick, is far more formidable than the group that already beat New England at their home this season.

Brady, by his own admission, sucked yesterday. Before the game, he had a career passer rating of 71 versus the Ravens. Yesterday, he had a rating of about 57. He threw 2 picks and had 2 other interceptions overturned by penalty.

The first overturned interception led to 3 points on a drive that where the penultimate play featured Wes Welker grabbing and turning Ray Lewis in the end zone as he sought to catch a pass from Brady. No flag… Yet Kraft’s Keystone Kops saw fit to blow a whistle on the Ravens for defensive holding which nullified what would have been Brady’s first pick of the game.

Where were those guys when Dennis Pitta was being hog-tied at the 2-yard line on the final drive of the game?

The Ravens’ Lee Evans could have ended all doubt by simply squeezing a very well thrown ball. He did not. Baltimore has to step their game up.

2. Ron Glover says:

Cam Newton selected as replacement for Eli Manning in next week’s Pro Bowl.

It seems that the Ravens’ SuperBowl was beating the Steelers twice this year. :-)

I think the Ravens were playing not to lose instead of playing to win. I still don’t understand going for it on 4th & 6…especially when Ray Rice wasn’t running the ball well. There’s nothing wrong with taking the 3 points there, eventhough it was a 50+ yarder.

I was telling a co-worker last week that Flacco needed to throw at least 3 TDs to win. He did….but Lee Evans didn’t hold on to the last one.

I know Flacco catches a lot of heat but he played his best playoff game to date on yesterday. I guess he’s out of Ed Reed’s ‘doghouse’ for now.

That dang Alex Smith was Tebowing it out there with the horrible passes.

That why I told folks to hold their horses with this Alex Smith has arrived mess. As far as the Ravens Harbaugh cost them that game….forget Cundiff this was all on Harbaugh and Cam Cameron.

@ RG – Yeah I saw he made the Pro Bowl……Man Bo and Moon got to be laughing their butts off on how all this went down siince the pre draft. Someone give those men scouting jobs!!!!

@ Temple – Yeah the Giants will beat the Pats but I don’t think it will be a blow out. These coaches would rather pass and stat pad then beat a team to sleep. I say the Giants beat the Pats by 9 points the score will be close until the last 6 minutes of the game.

Well…..the media got the matchup it wanted.

Origin:

Remember how the last Super Bowl started between these teams? A 10-minute drive with lots of runs. Remember Ahmad Bradshaw dragging Patriots defensive linemen? The Giants will do whatever it takes to win the game. Gilbride has that goofy passing gene in him, but I think it’s been purged after his time with Coughlin (to say nothing of his time in Pittsburgh).

I think the Patriots are going to have to pick their poison. Games against Tebow and Flustered Flacco are not evidence of the arrival of their defense. The addition of Bradshaw and Nicks suggests to me that New England will be compelled to defend the entire field for the entire game. I don’t think they can do it.

And, Brady will be forced to run for his life. I suspect he’ll go 25 for 48 for about 250 and throw a couple of interceptions and fumble once or twice.

I wouldn’t suggest that his past is suggestive of his future, but if you check the playoff record, you’ll find two spectacular games against wholly one-dimensional teams (Denver in 2011, Jacksonville in 2007)…and a bunch of clunkers and a bunch of losses.

I’ve maintained for years that when Corey Dillon left, power running left and so did the thing that made Brady most formidable — the ability to HAND OFF on 2nd and short or 3rd and short. If you beat up Welker off the line and get pressure before Gronk and Hernandez uncover, you’re good to go.

Giants d-line will knock down or intercept screen passes; they’ll get knockdowns and sacks on deep passes, and they’ll collapse the middle when he tries to dink and dunk over the middle…and their going to do it with 3 or 4 guys — and the 7 guys in the back are just going to TEE OFF.

Pats are going to score…they’re going to find some mismatches, but I think it’s going to look like that beat down they caught in New Orleans a few years ago. I know they needed the referees assistance to beat the Ravens, so who knows what kind of miracles go down in 2 weeks.

7. mapoui says:

Reggie McKenzie hires Dennis Allen! seems like a half-decent pick to me!

I wish McKenzie had gone blac’ myself but yu have to have the best man you can find. and as is clear…not all blac’ head coaching probables are worthy or will turn out to be Marvin Lewis

its also a good thing he hired no retread looking for experience and ‘stablity’ win and everything will be stable!

One of the things that impacts the “racial hiring” profile of the NFL is the paucity of Black offensive coordinators in the league — which is driven in part by the historic league (and college/high school) lock down on 2 positions: quarterback and center.

A solid majority of the elite coaches in league history began as defensive coaches (in the secondary) like Shula and Landry and Tony Dungy. It’s interesting that Mike Tomlin has the highest winning pct among active coaches, and his .714 post-season mark is currently tied with Belichick.

I think if the Steelers won last year and the Packers lost, people like Joe Philbin probably don’t become “hot commodities.” Who knows who the Dolphins coach is if Rashard Mendenhall hangs on to the rock late in that game. Maybe it’s Todd Bowles, a former DB.

9. CDF says:

“The League” has its match-up, I suppose. I’ll peek and only watch a few plays if the G-Men prevail…otherwise I’ll pass!