Hasn’t been done since Wilt went 50-15-6 vs. Hawks (Elias Sports Bureau) in 1964…

12-14. 30 points in 1st half. Gas pedal stepped on. 45 for the game (19-for-26, 73.1 pct). 15 boards to boot. 5 assists that could have been a lot more if his teammates weren’t busy watching him zone off like he was ABA Julius or Portland Michael. 48, 9, 7 in Game 5 vs. an aging Pistons in ’07. This is an aging Celtics team. His demeanor sure was similar. 1st player since Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to score at least 25 points in 6 straight games vs. the Celtics. Only player to score at least 45 points multiple times in elimination games. I said he would do it before the season so it shouldn’t be a shock. Sometimes you have to just tell the world to kiss your ass…

People were beginning to doubt him. I understand why some have questioned his heart (check out The Shadow League) because of his way too chill demeanor in the ’11 Finals and seemingly as the clock has ran down this season, he passed the ball too much. It remains obvious that at any time he can take the hell over and no one that is basketball alive can stop him. Oklahoma City wants none of that LeBron. Boston and San Antonio are better defensively. I remember asking LeBron about getting back up after a tough series defeat a few years ago. He sighed before he spoke. If he continues to play like this, there won’t be a sigh.

This is a different team when Bosh gets minutes as well defending the pick and roll. Dwyane Wade had 17. Chalmers 9. Bosh 8. 44-34 advantage on the boards. Rondo had 21 and 10. Kevin Garnett and Brandon Bass had 12. Ray Allen 10 and Paul Pierce had one of his worst playoff performances (4-18) and scored just 9 points. Not clutch, but I think the Celtics said a couple of oh shits under their breath when they saw there was no way of penetrating the focus of the absolute best player on the planet. Black Pharaoh disappeared on the floor. Doc Rivers tried everything. LeBron extended his range and shot threes like he should do occasionally. Doubles were too late but the way LeBron was locked it wouldn’t have mattered anyway. His stunner was on red. One of the greatest performances we have ever seen. This was the LeBron we know was coming  for your basketball life. The one who didn’t care about your smile or your autograph. The Kobe LeBron. The LeBron before Oscar’s grey haired bitterness. Not the Milwaukee Oscar but the Ohio Oscar. This was the Ohio LeBron. The before The Decision LeBron. Every man in his right mind would have left Cleveland for South Beach in his 20’s but that’s another story. Get it. Get it all LeBron. Do it again in Game 7 because the would still wants you to fail. They don’t trust you. Make them fall to their knees. This game last year you lost in the Finals. Just get there. Show everyone what they must have forgot…

(this won’t get any mention I’m sure)

I guess this is why Wilt hated y’all too. His name sure is mentioned a lot lately huh? When did Wilt stop playing again? How can Wilt’s GOAT not be the standard for every sports GOAT? Mike got y’all faded because he smiled on camera. He wasn’t threatening. His basketball killer was sexy and you lusted, but lust ain’t really love is it? LeBron conjures images of helplessness. You know you can’t beat him man to sports man. Like little kids in the school yard picking on the talent you surely are shook to be. Too big, too Black, too Strong.

Why should our expectations of LeBron be how he lives his life? What do we have to do with it? He has no business bowing down to what we want of him…good or bad. Public or private. That bullshit about being a public icon and watching what he says or does simply to not offend is absolutely ridiculous and smacks of nothing but insecurity. Owners cut players all the time. Why can’t players cut the team? LeBron didn’t cut the Cleveland fans, he cut Dan Gilbert.

The world has wanted to emasculate LeBron since the decision to leave the Cavaliers. They are threatened by the monster he was last night. He took the will of every person in the arena…and on the court. Even the cat who threw the drink (while security and law enforcement watched) when he walked through the tunnel post game. The pictures still snapped though didn’t they? The Celtics faithful knew they saw something historic and y’all can get on Kevin Durant’s jock if you want to because the kid is great but he isn’t last night great. Though he is a basketball killer so maybe eventually he will be 45-15-5 when his back is against a screaming wall and balding headbands rain down with their own little messages yelling “You 4th quarter suck!”

The sports world bowed down to the King last night. He told everyone to kiss his Black ass and he did so like the reticent alchemist. He was serial killer cool, calm and collected. Few words. His tone was Biggie but his soul was Pac. He said after the game he doesn’t hear the hate or even the good because he doesn’t pay attention to sports talk radio. LeBron did know that if he didn’t perform last night, he would have been illogically vilified forever as a choker. Judging by the stats posted in the lede, he is the opposite, but the shine doesn’t seem to go that way huh?

Because he won.

Folks want him to lose everything. I’ve heard folks openly state they are supposed to hate LeBron. It’s popular. They hate him more than killers of humans and he’s committed no crime. He took his business dealings by the balls and created a corporation of himself. Nothing wrong with that. The treatment of this cat has become disgustingly irrational. Myopic and if you are locked in your own dystopia, and hating LeBron has become therapeutic then maybe you should fire your Cleveland shrink.

Miami
- 7 34 14 3 9 13 19 79

Officials: Dan Crawford, Tony Brothers, Tom Washington
Attendance: 18,624
Time of Game: 2:27
Technicals
Miami
– M. Chalmers (5:29 – 1st Qtr)
– L. James (3:17 – 3rd Qtr)
Boston
– K. Garnett (9:31 – 3rd Qtr)

36 Responses to “In Game 6, Miami beats Boston 98-79: In the clutch, LeBron James goes Wilt Chamberlain 45-15-5 (mostly commentary)”

Good stuff…..and I echo your sentiments.

Peace

2. Old news to us. Preaching to the choir. Just needed to get it out for others. My bad TSF family.

Great piece, and a timely, strong articulation of the psychosis behind the anti-LBJ fever that has gripped the nation/world.

I may drop something on the game later.

BTW, I don’t think that Pistons squad was all that old in ’04-’05 (Tayshaun – 24, Rip – 26, CB – 28), and that video link is from ’07.

4. mapoui says:

Terrific!

I could not have said it better myself but I wish I could.

I love me this Boston team and Doc Rivers. but LeBron, like a magician made them disappear last night, faded them away.

Incredible performance. another, even close saturday night and look out KD….here comes a basketball nightmare your way

5. Fixed. My bad. The Pistons of ’07 were wearing down because of all the consecutive trips to the ECF.

Mike:

You’re right — he sucked the life right out of the building. It was an epic performance, and it was interesting to see the looks on the Celtics’ faces because they knew it was a wrap.

Popovich had that same look the day before.

It was like this, minus getting up

7. Zuri says:

I hear you, but I think there a legitimate gripes why people don’t like LeBron, both basketball and non basketball related. The decision is one (because of its execution and the arrogance that followed) and because he seemingly turns on and off Killer LeBron as if anyone wants to watch passive LeBron. Everybody — and I mean everybody — with a basketball IQ knew LeBron had it in him to go 40+ … The question is always does he want to. That’s a major gripe right there. Does he have the will, the killer instinct. We judge him differently and possibly unfairly because we expect him to be the best. Any fan of the game knows that those kind of expectations and gripes are only meant for the special and beloved.

@ Zuri — ditto.

For the record, Mizzo is talking mostly about the over the top, personal, vitriolic, racial, stereotypical venom that characterizes much of the animus against James.

As for the on court stuff, I think that’s legitimate. You can’t be the Don Dadda with a career high of 25 points in the NBA Finals, with a career finals average of 19.5, with an 8 point game on your resume, and an FTA pattern of 2-4-4-4-2-4 in 6 games vs. Dallas. No one can ameliorate that record but James. It’s all in his hands.

9. CAvard says:

What upsets me about the mainstream sports media is they second-guess and make assumptions day in and day out when a team’s back is against the wall. Too many assumptions were made about LBJ in the last three games and I knew it would eventually come back to bite them in the ass. You’d think they’d learn their lesson, especially in friggin’ Boston when many local writers dismissed the Celtics’ chances. They did the same thing to LBJ Wednesday and Thursday morning. Whatever.

IMO, Boston’s poor shooting, especially from three point land, hurt. There were too many turnovers, especially from RR. The bench was nonexistent. On Thursday, no NBA team on that given night was going to stop LBJ. Period. His play was inspiring … and this is coming from a C’s fan. He can win a game 7. We know that, so let’s just accept it. That still doesn’t mean I’m rooting for him. :)

LBJ proved the sports media wrong, much like KG proved the Boston media (and others) wrong after the Celtics-Hawks series. That’s why I like TSF. There’s none of that phony self-righteous “I know more than you and this is what’s going to happen this series” BS.

I won’t make any predictions about game 7. We know what each teams has and hasn’t. Let them play.

Put another way, and more starkly, since 1985-86, there have been 205 instances where a player has scored more than 25 points in an NBA Finals game. That list includes legends of the game, and guys like Buddha Edwards. Sam Cassell, Toni Kukoc, Jalen Rose. The list does not include LeBron James.

Stranger than strange. I suspect that changes by next Wednesday. (I wonder if Rondo has another 44 point jammy left in him?)

11. CAvard says:

@Temple3 LBJ and the Miami Heat sucked the life out of the TDBank North Garden … to an extent. That organic “Let’s go Celtics!” chant that evolved at the end of the game was inspiring. You don’t see stuff like that in Boston much, especially after big game blowouts.

12. CAvard says:

@Temple3 I can’t predict how Rondo’s going to play Saturday but I know he wants to play badly against Perk next series.

Mizzo:

The Elias Sports Bureau and ESPN are annoying with their statistical cutoffs. Shaq went 44-20-5 in the Finals vs. Philly in ’01 (missed 12 FTs). Barkley went 43-15-10 vs. Seattle in the WCF in ’93.

I mean, really, it’s 1 point. That’s not a valid distinction statistically. They should know how misleading that is. Great game, but it wasn’t without precedent.

I would love to see a battle royale between LBJ and Rondo in Game 7.

15. I definitely agree with that. I was just talking to Ron about that Barkley performance. I’m looking at the the actual video tape I still have of it now. Thunder Dan went off too in that game.

16. TheLastPoet says:

You say Lebron told the world to kiss his ass last night?

Maybe.

But this is the same cat who also told the world he wants to be an “icon” and a billionaire.

Dude can’t have it both ways and so he’s got to make up his mind.

Is he going to be the cat who drops 40-15-5 on the regular, which we all know he can do, or is he going to be the cat who disappears and plays nice because he wants the world to like him, followed by the world sending him all their money?

His choice. At least for now, while he’s at his physical peak because I maintain, still, that when he can no longer bully opponents with his athleticism and physicality, he will not be nearly as effective (unless he continues to work on his offensive skill set).

I know I’m not wrong about this.

17. I throw out the Finals because I suspect deeply was something going on there. Aberration. I have no knowledge or anything of wrong doing of any sort, but passing up open dunks to pass out for threes smacks of something and as Temple spelled out somewhere on the site, dude’s numbers in the fourth quarters were just abysmal. What has to be said is it wasn’t because he was missing shots. He simply wasn’t taking them.Very weird when juxtaposing his playoff and regular season averages. It surely wasn’t like Dallas was a defensive wunderkind all of the sudden. The zone applied pressure and Tyson Chandler did his thing but come the hell on.

I do believe Kevin Durant is more skilled offensively and wants to kill you on the court but other LBJ variables not showing up in the box score he simply cannot do…yet.

18. DN says:

Nailed it.

19. […] Cough, cough. Ever notice when some of those outrageous NBA records show up on the TV screen Wilt’s name is always shown? And some of you still believe Jordan was the greatest? You are so misinformed. We all know now how the Celtics gagged away Game 6 at home Thursday night, when LeBron James went off for 45 points, 15 rebounds and 5 assists, the 1st time any player has achieved such greatest since Wilt did it in 1964 against the Hawks. We also know the Heat will seal the deal in Game 7 Saturday and face the Thunder for the NBA title starting Tuesday. Vegas has the Heat as an 8-point favorite over the Celtics, so it sounds like a done deal to us. No wonder they were dousing James with beer in Boston. We’ll let our good friends at The Starting Five take it to the stage from here. The Starting Five […]

20. TheLastPoet says:

As much as I respect the PLAYERS in Boston (not the organization and certainly not the city) and would love to see them get another shot at a title, I guess it’s time for Lebron and KD to square up in the Finals and settle this debate once and for all – or at least for now! Lol

LP just wants to be proven RIGHT!!!

ROTFLMBAO!! Don’t we all.

22. ks says:

LP,

“I still got KD – but not because he’s the league’s golden boy right now. We all know how quickly that perception can change – I think KD knows it, too. No, I got KD because I think he’s a better player, and I have always thought he’s a better player. And although you insinuated the KD don’t want none of Lebron in the Finals, I beg to differ. In fact, I think it’s vice versa. KD has shown a willingness to work together with his teammates to take on ALL COMERS, whereas Lebron has yet to show this level of desire or this level of togetherness, not consistently (and the togetherness not at all).

I know I’m not wrong about this.”

I understand that you seem to like KD more than Lebron and that’s cool because KD is great but, on what objective basis do you think he’s a better player? He’s a better scorer but not by much primarily because he’s a lot better free throw shooter and a bit better 3pt shooter than Lebron. Lebron is a better defender, passer and rebounder.

I think the togetherness angle is subjective and a tad unfair. I don’t think anybody has complained about Lebron as a teammate but the big difference is that, unlike Lebron in Cleveland, KD has a great organization who understands how to develop talent and put a team together.

@ks:

It’s hard to say what a guy can do when he has lots of help. In other words, I don’t what Durant’s capacity is as a rebounder playing alongside Ibaka and Perkins while spending most of his offensive time around the perimeter. Dude still managed to average more per game than LBJ. I don’t know that this means a damned thing.

Same for LBJ’s assists. He totes the rock much more than Durant and has a special passing game in his repertoire, but Durant should not be averaging 6 assists per game in his role. That he averages 4 is plenty to me.

Last 2 years, KD has outscored LBJ by a decent margin, and snagged more boards. Small sample size — 4 games. 2-2.

We’ll see when we see, as long as MIA does the deed.

24. Martin says:

My take on LeBron comes with a analogy to the David Banner/ The Incredible Hulk alter ego thing…You see Dr. Banner just wants to find a peaceful existence and only becomes the Hulk when pushed. LeBron’s effort as grand as it was does not make him happy. He played with no joy last night and I suspect even after the game he felt empty. He rather play a game where he is more of a facilitator and not be pushed exposing all his dark demons.

Brilliant! Love that.

26. TheLastPoet says:

Ks,

my brother I’ve written several comments under different posts in which I’ve defended KD’s rebounding and passing acumen v. Lebron. I’m sure you haven’t read them, nevertheless I’d rather not bore everyone else by repeating all that here.

Still, I’m glad that you and other commentators are finally picking up the gauntlet I threw down several posts ago when I proclaimed the young kid to be better than David Banner (I like that analogy, too).

Anyway it’s almost to the point now where we will no longer have to speculate, but rather if Miami can defeat Boston tomorrow, then like T3 said, “we’ll see when we see”…

27. Yeah Martin. David Banner fits. Do you all remember the football interview I did with LeBron?

It bothered me he didn’t want to be the quarterback. Still does.

Poet like I said, if Miami does get to the Finals and the young KD outplays dude, I’ll change my stance. I think we will also see KD in a different light defensively because of LeBron’s presence. This is where Durant needs to be. I’m glad he’s on this level now. Good for him and definitely for the game. Proud of my man Mo Cheeks too. Get a job MO! lol

28. ks says:

LP,

Cool. The rebounding was close this year but I’m not sure how you could contextualize the assist difference. In any event, they are both great players and if Miami beats Boston we’ll see but I think it will be more of a team thing than a LBJ vs. KD thing. OKC will be favored over either team.

BTW, in the comic book world the Hulk narrative is that Banner is often the Monster while the Hulk is the one looking for peace. Heh.

Head-2-Head: Four Games (2-2)

KD: 30, 7.5, 4.5, 50% FG, 79% FT
    LBJ: 23, 5.5, 8.25, 45% FG, 78% FT

High Game: KD – 33 points; Low Game: KD – 28 points
    High Game: LBJ – 34 points; Low Game: LBJ – 17 points.

30. RBD says:

People have harped on two LBJ comments made after Game 5.
    1) “We played well enough to be in position to win, and that’s all you can ask.” (or something like that)
    That one’s ill-advised. Actually, you can ask for more than credibility; you should expect to win. That sort of comment, generally speaking, won’t play well.
    2) Something along the lines of “the sun’s going to come up tomorrow.” I find it silly for people to bash him on this one. Maybe such a statement signifies that LBJ is simply a well balanced person. It doesn’t necessarily say he’s less motivated or less interested than the next guy. What, exactly, do people want? A suicide threat?

31. Martin says:

MT, I did read that post about LeBron and I loved that he played football in high school and so that made me always wonder why he does the soccer flop in basketball unlike AI who would just brush himself off…

And KS as far as the hulk comic narrative, I admit I am influenced by tv and movies but in the end I think (again without reading the comic books) the analogy works in that LeBron’s monster game when he is pushed to that extreme is so scary (like the enraged hulk) that folk don’t know how to act…the garden’s silence was unlike anything I’ve seen and the fan dousing him was like a futile attempt to stop the “monster”…I mean who does that???

@ Martin:

I couldn’t agree more. You absolutely hit the nail on the head.

I would love to see him commit to playing like that for 2 weeks — let’s see what happens. Commit to domination…out and out domination…no holds barred.

I suppose he does play with a great deal of restraint. And, with that said, nothing bothers me more (with respect to his “case”) than that Game 4 loss last year when he shot 3-11 and scored 8 points. I know that Wade (32 pts) and Bosh (24 pts) had it going, but that was the series. They would have been up 3-1 and that should have been enough. I still don’t think the best team won…but that’s me.

@ Mizzo — Bruce Banner. LOL.

David Banner is that dude, tho.

34. […] said it all about LeBron after Game 6. I had to go hard on the ridiculous reaction to this dude…but we all know what he is now. I’ve noticed a shift in narrative. Maybe […]