(ESPN)

The wrath of the NCAA swept down upon Happy Valley with vengeance and furious anger for the sins of Jerry Sandusky. It will be quite some time before the Penn State football program is heard from again.

(ESPN)

NCAA president Mark Emmert addressed the media this morning with groundbreaking sanctions against the Penn State football program.

The sanctions are as follows:

• A $60 million fine, equal to the one-year revenue of the football program. Made payable to an endowment fund for external programs preventing child sexual abuse.
  • The football program will have all wins between 1998 and 2011 vacated, this drops Joe Paterno’s win total from 409 to 298 and from 1 to 12 in all-time NCAA Division I victories.
  • Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period.
  • Four-year postseason ban, players may transfer to other schools with immediate eligibility
  • Athletic department is placed on probation for five years

As a result of the the sanctions, John Gagliardi with a record of 484–133–11 is first in college football wins. He’s coached at DIII Saint John’s University in Collegeville, Minnesota since 1953. Eddie Robinson is first in Division I-AA college football history, with a record of 408-165-15 at Grambling State. Bobby Bowden is first in FBS history with a record of 377–129–4 at Florida State University. 12 wins vacated. Bowden won 411 total games as a Head Coach. His wins at South Georgia College are also not counted by the NCAA.

Emmert and chairman Ed Ray were direct and forthright on their handling of these sanctions.

“In the Penn State case, the results were perverse and unconscionable,” Emmert said to reporters at the NCAA headquarters in Indianapolis, Indiana.

“No price the NCAA can levy with repair the damage inflicted by Jerry Sandusky on his victims,” he said, referring to the former Penn State defensive coordinator who was found guilty on 45 accounts of child sex abuse last month.

The Penn State program as we know it has ended, the last 14 years of this program and its coach have been erased behind unthinkable acts shielded by lies and deceit.

The NCAA did the right thing today. But how long will their glass house stand?  A billion dollar corporation with a thrift shop mentality has become intercollegiate athletics when it comes to student athletes. Mark Emmert and Ed Ray haven’t won any new friends today, believe that.

As the Penn State saga fades from the memories of those not directly affected by this unprecedented chain of events. The sins and hypocrisies of the NCAA will once again come into focus.

18 Responses to “Penn State football is sanctioned for four years; Paterno’s record from 1998 to 2011 erased”

1. mapoui says:

there is a long history of sexuality between young boys and men in western and Arabic/muslim traditions. I understand that in places like Afghanistan, Pakistan, the practise is still strong and legal.

the story of the idolising and worshing of young boys ans having sex with them is well known.

and from observation of white life in Canada where I live for 40 years it seems to me that white men do not find homosexuality abhorrent.

which is why the opposition to homosexuality, and laws enshrining favourable changes for that lifestyle puzzles me: how come a population that appears disposed to a particular activity opposes its activation into law?

interesting!

I say this in reference to the 60 million fine dedicated to the prevention of sexuality by men with boys.

it seems to me that is a ‘problem’ of a magnitude way beyond what appears in the public media- space about it, encompassing the whole historical quantity I alluded to.

what was once legal, normal behavior, is now illegal and scandalous, but obviously still an active part of western unconscious, constantly breaking into real expression and acvity in the dominant sectors of american {canada/usa } life

I understand that homosexualty is an Arabic ‘gift’ to Africa, introudced via Muslim invasion.

but from the european side we do appear to have an issue that cannot be addresed unless historical truth is taken into consideration, in effort to explain current behaviour… to put the issue into proper perspective.

60 million is a big help I imagine but there appears to exist a real big problem.

I dont know of any ‘boy-worshiping, sexuality’ african tradition

and from my exposure to stats of the sort, there does not appear to be any coresponding african african derived problem with boy man sexuality in canada/america

2. ch555x says:

@mapoui

You even see this alluded to in various media (i.e. movies, commercials, etc.). I don’t buy the “innocence” tag to the imagery. It just makes me wonder what else was transported over here during pre-Colonial America.

This is a big old can of worms here. I could kick it with you for days on this, mapoui, but I’m gonna pass. Too much to say.

@ Mapoui: btw, I agree with 95% of what you wrote.

@ ch555x: you best believe that was transported over here as well.

5. mapoui says:

wats the 5%?

How did I know you’d ask that question?

I think it’s fair to say that homosexuality, as a discrete practice, does not occupy the same primacy and cultural value in Africa as it does in the West. There is no Greece or Rome to be found in Kemet or Carthage or Axum or anywhere else that I’ve studied. In fact, even with the above-referenced link, I am unaware of a single African society (elite or otherwise) prior to the invasion of the West that might have widely engaged in the practice.

I wouldn’t ever say that African people started doing anything because of another group, even if the evidence suggests this may be the case. Humans have been on the planet for a very long time. “White people” as we know them today are a far more recent invention. Geneticists are suggesting the gene for “whiteness” may only be 6,000 years old. So, it’s hard for me to imagine that many folks didn’t contemplate a homosexual lifestyle on some level somewhere many moons ago.

7. mapoui says:

there is actually a gene for whiteness?

I thought Like Finch…Albinism and vitamin D..shortage of in poor sunlight..as decisive in that transformation, tyrosinase+ as the triggering factor…from 20 thousand years ago

I go along with the story or chronology of glaciation and intastadials..recession and return of the ice and being trapped in the cold etc. and being changed.

I have not seen the suggestion of as late as 6,000 years ago… but I have not been looking for some time.
    interesting!

I too remain open on the question of the origins of african homosexuality…largely because of how it occurs in our life..that of it I know.

it is ‘natural’, open, aggressive, strong and expanding, increasing. it is hard to imgine that that is somethng foreign to us, imposed on us..although the record we know suggets that it was

facts on the ground suggest that some homosexualtiy is due to genetic disposition, being born that way, biology different from the general.

old greece and rome however appear to have cultivated what we have come to know of them in as bent sexually. or are we to take it that they all were born biologically different and only engaged in heterosexuality for procreation?

8. mapoui says:

you might find this interesting Temple3

the catholic church is the home of the rentention of old rome and its practices….especially boy-man sexuality.

some people see it as part of the wholesale religious rape of humanity, genocide etc…

they have been trying to get a legal effort off the ground, to bring the church..all of them..and the state as well… to heel, if not to effect their elimination altogether.

the link tells the stage at which that effort has arrived

9. mapoui says:

who is: Bruce L. Gerig ?

absolutley nothing out of the ordinary in his commentary.

there was bound to be homosexuality in africa before the muslims

SLC24a5. This gene causes pale skin in Europeans, but not Asians. It’s put a damper on a bunch of Old White Europe research that folks were kicking around — including some stuff on Northeast Europeans sailing to the Americas over 10,000 years ago. The genetics would suggest that those folks couldn’t possibly be classified as “white.”

I can’t call it on the nature/nurture question on sexual orientation. It’s beyond my area of research and expertise. Even with both sexual orientations within my family, I wouldn’t be able to say one way or the other. People’s life experiences vary widely — and I’m not one to judge how people come to be who they are.

The central cultural theme, however, seems to be hostility to women. I think the first time I peeped this in ancient literature was in reading Plato’s Republic. And it’s just much deeper than that. It goes through the entire social, cultural, and military organization of the culture. It was part of Nazi Germany as well. Check out the Pink Swastika.

And of course, the Greeks and the Romans never considered themselves to have anything in common with Northern Europeans whom they considered to be savages across the board. Pre-Christian Germans had a rep among the Romans of respecting their women. I’m not sure if that changed with the church, or if that’s still something that sets that apart from England and France. Women as warriors are not uncommon in the Germanic traditions, but I’d argue far less so in France (exclusive of Joan of Arc) and England.

It seems like this was the cultural ideal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cretan_pederasty

Gerig is a historian of homosexuality…don’t have his bio. I found some of his stuff to be interesting on the topic. I keep an open mind on things and try to check for biases — either way, and then make some sort of sound assessment based on the facts on the table and the conjecture on the table.

Mapoui:

Check out what the link says about SIDEKICKS, and think of Hollywood movies and the historic role of Black actors in action movies going back to “The Lone Ranger.”

Even that name is dismissive of the humanity of the SIDEKICK. Lone Ranger operates ALONE, but Tonto (or stupid) is always there.

Think of how Hollywood sought to portray dualities between the 2 characters. Which one was strongest, smartest, bravest, sexiest, etc.

This culture is a coherent mixture of many seemingly disparate, disconnected practices.

Tying it all together. We’ve got your Greeks, Romans, Germans, and your all-American Boy Scouts.

13. mapoui says:

I have been trying to account for this:
    It has been estimated that the threonine allele became predominant among Europeans 5,300 to 6,000 years ago

what does it mean chronologically?

I have founbd so far no African centred opinion on the issue

white people have been pale for 4 times longer than that so what does the dominance of threonine mean by 6 thousand years ago?

in the process I have been running into ‘facts’ I never new existed. like Aurignacian culture being an arabic, east Asian thing of origin, not African as I originally thought. mmm!

where the hell did that come from?

and the slc24a5 must have come to europeans from Neantherthall

interesting!

14. RBD says:

Am I reading this right? Is this thread really trying to suggest that sexual acts between adult males and boys are consensual or that there is somehow an inconsistency in displaying tolerance of homosexuality among adults and contempt for pedophilia?

15. mapoui says:

in light of christian doctrinal develoment and resulting cultural practise, and modern sensibility on such sexuality generated by europe itself..there is a huge problem in the western world with such sexuality

which is what i have said, noting that the 60 million fine imposed on Penn State for the purpose of combating such sexuality, is likley too small a focus to solve what is a major problem indeed..as can be gleaned from the history of such sexuality in the
    european tradition

which is exactly what I understand Temple3 to have agreed with

16. mapoui says:

No RBD! You read it wrong

RBD — I think you’re missing the point. This thread takes as a given that children cannot give consent, and that there is a great distinction between acts between adults regardless of orientation. In some instances, I suspect that might need to be stated explicitly. I don’t know that mapoui or I felt the need to state such between ourselves.

The thread isn’t really even about homosexuality per se, in that it has really said nothing about women homosexuals. In fact, the thread is very clearly about the wide cultural traditions of same sex activity, regardless of age, that define sexual IDEALS in Greece, Rome, Victorian England, Nazi Germany, and the United States.

Sometimes the obvious needs to be stated. But, for the record, this isn’t the first TSF post on the issue — so our positions are clear enough for anyone to see in several places. Perhaps even a re-read of this thread would prove enlightening in that regard.

I’m not quite sure how you arrived at your conclusions, but I do find that interesting.

18. RBD says:

Thanks for the context. I understand better now.