(Getty Images)

Flop Star Paul Pierce will have to play some D this season.

It looks like the days of flopping in the NBA are numbered. The NBA competition committee is in the process of finalizing procedures that will penalize players who are observed trying to fake out NBA officials.

Off in the distance, Bill Laimbeer weeps.

The NBA is taking the NHL approach when it comes to combating the art of flopping, the act of falling down when minimal contact has been made with an opposing player in an effort to deceive the official into calling a foul.

Flopping reached a fever pitch in the NBA last season to the chagrin of commissioner David Stern. The commissioner promised during the playoffs that the issue would be addressed.

The procedure that will debut this season will involve a post-game review of the play which could result in a fine. The incident will not be reviewed by an official during the game.

New executive vice president of league officials Mike Bantom is giving a training camp to the NBA’s 62-man officiating staff which includes what to look for as it pertains to flopping.

The Lineup:

What are the benefits of a prepaid AMEX card (American Express).

Reggie Bush looking to go on Sunday (NFL.com).

Minnesota office shooter kills four including himself (In Flex We Trust).

Obama’s campaign popular among gamers (The Daily Beast).

Lecture explores the African-American religious experience (Press and Guide).

Did the butler do it (The Daily Beast).

‘Sons of Anarchy’ actor found dead, suspect in killing of landlady (The Daily Beast).

Tampa Bay Rays refusing to go away (Yahoo).

Follow The Ryder Cup action here (Yahoo).

Jail uprising sends 4 Cook County inmates to the hospital (ABC Local).

Have a great weekend!

21 Responses to “Tip-Off for 9/28/12 (featuring Outkast): NBA arenas will no longer be flophouses”

For some players with rock solid defensive chops, there is a fine line between flopping and ANTICIPATING A CHARGE. I welcome this rule change, but I don’t know if the NBA is ready for the game to get more physical…for the referees to have to call more fouls…and for some stars to ride the pine while they figure out a new strateeejuddy.

Does less flopping mean LESS SCORING? Trips to the FT line for elite scorers?

Imagine Manu Ginobili playing 10 minutes a game because he’s in Flop Trouble. This is great.

2. I’m actually for taking charges out the game altogether. Think it stunts the game. If you can anticipate movement, then get to the spot and get the block. Not every kid will be athletic enough, but I think if we begin to teach players to move their feet more, the game will ascend offensively and defensively.

I get no one player can be guarded one on one and I guess that’s why zone play has been permitted, but what happened to teaching players how to play on ball, smacking the cotdamn floor defense?

3. Sinclair says:

No charging? Why not lower the basket to 8 feet, use the women’s ball, allow traveling, and play 3 on 3 while we’re at it?

4. Did you get why I said it? Most certainly not about making the game easier.

Mizzo:

I don’t like the way the charge call is OFFICIATED, but I will admit that even after all these years, it was based on my misinterpretation of the written rules re: players moving with the ball under control.

You can play defense with great leverage and not be in position to get a block…in fact, you often have to compromise your leverage to elevate and go for that block. That’s not always advisable. That’s how cats get the wind knocked out them or get ribs cracked when guys who have been beaten to a spot choose to regroup, and barrel into the defender. If you’re about to jump or are already in the air, that’s your ass. You’ve lost your center of gravity and all of your power. Who wants to be 4 feet off the ground and at the mercy of LeBron or Pierce or Carmelo?

A defender has to be able to have some benefit for hustle ON THE GROUND. If you take the charge away, what’s left? The defense is required to expend additional effort (and risk fouling) by going for the strip…which puts them at risk for a continuation foul.

If I beat you to a spot, keep my leverage and force you to change your shot simply by having to play OVER ME, that’s great defense — and if I get to where you’re going BEFORE you and you’re out of control BECAUSE OF MY SPEED and your inability to CONTROL YOURSELF, AND you initiate the contact, I should be rewarded for that.

There is an art to drawing the charge. The best guys at it often alternate between playing off and playing chest to chest. It’s almost impossible to consistently play chest-to-chest, draw charges, block shots, and still have your legs for offense. No one has that kind of stamina…the closest I’ve seen were Rodman and Pippen (and Rodman was a specialist; and Pippen didn’t have to become an elite #2 scorer for four years) — and they alternated to set people up for the charge.

You have to entice someone into a charge. Look at the spacing in the video below.

If you get rid of a defender’s bread and butter on the ground, you have to take something away from the offense — like continuation or lean-ins or something like that. If the league is going to allow Kobe and Pierce and Carmelo to get And-One’s ad infinitum, they can’t take away charges from defenders.

Give-get. Do you just want to take away off-man charges? If you do that, you have to go back to banning zone defenses. The deck is already stacked in favor of the offenses. Ain’t it?

By the way — if you ever want to see the mid-range game come back to the NBA, you have to keep the charge in the game. You could argue that the Heat won the Finals in large part because of their ability to draw charges and neutralize James Harden. Westbrook got the memo and drained pull ups, but The Beard kept going and went down the tubes.

Thoughts??

6. Sinclair says:

I guess I don’t know why.

I also don’t know how charging has stunted the game. I think the pro game is pretty good right now.

I do know that if they eliminate the charging rule without eliminating the blocking rule, it’ll be a non-stop dunkfest or free-throw train. Why wouldn’t every player just bum rush the cup every time they get their mitts on the ball, if there’s no risk of being called for charging? They either: a) score b) go to line c) knock out defender. There’s no downside!

How would the game not be easier for the offense if there was no charging?

7. Sinclair says:

Also, as Temple said, if you make off ball charging legal, there goes the concept of picks & screens.

This is how you do it…w/o charges:

MJ was definitely INTENT on taking the rock. Charges probably go hand in hand with zone defenses. Get rid of the zones and you’ll get more real defense — or more O-Lay defense, but folks won’t be taking charges because they won’t be facing the offense…they’ll be trailing cutters and moving with their back to the ball more.

Check out the forearm to the point guard at 1:30 instead of a flop or attempt to draw a charge.

Sinclair —

If you look at the video of Jordan defending at the top of the key, you can see how it would be harder to “beat your defender” if that defender was committed to forcing you around or over him. The problem is that we can probably name the truly elite defenders in the league over the past 40 years very easily.

Everyone can score — so it goes back to my initial point — who has the energy and the limited role to do this?

It seems like Battier’s approach was arguably smarter than Jordans. Why? Because Battier’s charges created a TRIPLE THREAT: 1) Offensive foul 2) turnover 3) reluctance to drive. Jordan’s approach probably intimidated the hell out of PGs, but it’s a high-energy approach that he used selectively. Battier can push the charge button whenever he’s on the court — whether he’s your man or not.

It’s a helluva Swiss Army Knife…and it explains the college level success of Duke and Indiana.

10. Sinclair says:

Is this the correct link? All I saw was Battier explaining how to take a charge for 3 minutes.

Yeah, the first link is just Battier…the second link on the more recent post is of Jordan.

12. Sinclair says:

I feel you. But, if there’s no charging why wouldn’t the PG just barrel into the defender every time and draw the blocking call? If the charging rule doesn’t exist, there is literally no way to play defense in the game. Basketball is a physical game and as soon as you make physical aggression legal for the offense and not for the defense, what is that? There’s no balance.

Also, I still couldn’t find MJ at 1:30 of the vid. I must be doing something wrong.

13. Sinclair says:

Yeah, you tube won’t let me load the second vid. Whatever, I get your point.

14. Did you ever see Mike or Kobe taking a charge? Pip and GP did but it wasn’t their first option to neutralize you. I’m not saying take offensive fouls out the game, just cats who just want to take charges as their only means of playing defense. That’s bullshit and somebody is gonna get hurt. I hated when cats were all up on my ankles so I had to go over them and I became Barkley coming down the lane…daring the defender to get in my way because he was getting knee caps and all that…including the label on my shorts.

The example you gave fits Temple…I just am not down with that limiting Duke and Indiana trash.

15. Sinclair says:

“I’m not saying take offensive fouls out the game, just cats who just want to take charges as their only means of playing defense.”

A) if you don’t want to “take offensive fouls out of the game” but you want to eliminate charging, what offensive fouls are left? Manslaughter?

B) what’s the difference between a guy who knows how to draw charges and a guy who knows how to hit an open trey? These guys are just trying to do their jobs and put food on their table. Geez!

16. Address Mike and Kobe not taking charges. It can be taught and done. The difference is player injury obviously between a guy who can hit an open trey and one who takes charges. Tell that cat to go play football…

17. Sinclair says:

So what if Kobe & MJ don’t try to draw charges every trip down the floor? No one else can D like them. You say, “eliminate charging.” I say if you eliminate charging you can expect basketball versions of WVU/Baylor every night, except for when Kobe’s playing. Then it will only be 80% WVU/Baylor.

18. DeShawn says:

Bill Laimbeer is weeping? Try Derek Fisher, Shane Battier, Raja Bell, Kobe Bryant, Paul Pierce, Dennis Rodman, Ron Artest, Bruce Bowen, Lebron James, Reggie Evans, Chris Paul, Robert Horry, Rajon Rando, and Reggie Miller for starters. Players of every color have been gaming the system for decades.

Deshawn take your bitch ass somewhere else.

20. You so misinterpret me. I love defense. Big part of the game. Teach. Kids. How. To. Play. Defense. Stop teaching them to get to a spot. Teach them to move their feet.