(Matt Slocum/AP)

Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco (5) embraces linebacker Ray Lewis

Joe Flacco to heed to Ray Lewis’ words last season and thanked him with the ultimate going away gift.

Super Bowl XLVII will be talked about for a long time. What started out as a Baltimore Ravens 28-6 romp turned into a near comeback for all times. Beyonce played her part by giving a halftime show so high-powered, it knocked out the juice in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.

The delay lasted about 35 minutes. It proved to be what the 49ers needed to keep my itis from accelerating. The Ravens lead was cut to 31-29. A no-call on fourth down ended the Niners near-historic comeback. The Ravens would win their second Super Bowl in a 34-31 thriller.

No one’s laughing at Joe Flacco anymore.

Since he was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens five years ago, Flacco has been a shotgun passenger on a team filled with defensive standouts. Each time the Ravens were outsted in the postseason, the buck stopped at Flacco. This season was different as Flacco became more assertive and by time the playoffs rolled around, he was prepared to make amends for his past failures.

Flacco was 22 for 33 for 289 yards and three first half touchdowns. His postseason total was 11 touchdown passes with no interceptions. Flacco was named Super Bowl XLVII MVP.

On a play indicative of the team’s success, Flacco was flushed out to his right and heaved a pass downfield — which looked to be headed out-of-bounds. Anquan Boldin (8 rec. 104 yards) never lost sight of the pass and hauled it in for a 30 yard gain. A few plays later, Flacco would connect with Boldin for the game’s first score on their opening drive.

Flacco’s other two touchdowns were to Jacoby Jones and tight end Dennis Pitta. Jones so wide open on his scoring reception, but Flacco had underthrown the route. Jones came back for the ball and fell down. He was able to juke and pirouette his way around two 49er defenders for the improbable score.

Jones landed what appeared to be the haymaker the Ravens were looking for when he took the second half kickoff 108 yards for the score. About 90 seconds later you could hear color man Phil Simms’ mic cut off in mid-sentence and the lights in the stadium dimmed. For 35 minutes the teams did what they could to stay mentally and physically sharp.

For Baltimore, momentum went out with the lights.

The 49ers came out the extended timeout like a new team, 28-6 became 28-13. Before you knew it the Niners were back in the game and looking to take it over. Colin Kaepernick rebounded from a critical first half interception to get the Niners to the doorstep of the championship. If Kaepernick was shaky early on, he made up for it in his second half performance. He passed for 302 yards, a touchdown and the aforementioned interception. He added 62 yards on 7 rushes, including a 15-yard touchdown run for a score. It was the longest run by a quarterback for a touchdown in the Super Bowl. A surprising statistic.

With the Ravens clinging to a 34-29 lead, the Niners were well within the means to score the go-ahead touchdown. The Ravens defense forced a fourth down and five. Kaepernick pass to Michael Crabtree (5 rec., 109 yards, TD) sailed out of bounds despite what looked to be excessive contact by Crabtree and the Ravens defender.

Photo: #champion #raylewis #ravens 34-31 over #niners

Ray Lewis exits the game a two-time Super Bowl champion.

With the game clock at 0:00, purple and gold confetti rained down like a Maryland country storm. In its midst stood a triumphant warrior soaked in his moment of glory. Ray Lewis had little impact on yesterday’s outcome. He passed the driver’s seat off to Joe Flacco to finish the exhausting trip. Lewis was finally able to enjoy the view on his last ride.

Ray Lewis said he came back for his teammates. Yesterday, his teammates held on and won for him.

16 Responses to “Baltimore Ravens survive San Francisco 49ers second half rush to win Super Bowl XLVII 34-31”

1. DeShawn says:

How about that performance by super Joe Flacco? I’m surprised to see that there’s no love here at TSF for that great performance. I wonder what the reason could be. Hmmm…

2. Michelle says:

Booooooo!!!!! One thing is clear… We have ourselves a great QB.. He played better as a rookie ( first year actually playing ) than a lot of veteran qb’s who have won the SB.., Congrats to the Ravens.. Flaccio was awesome and their D made stops when they needed to… Even though Jim’s play calling in the red zone on the last drive was terrible.. I swore that was Andy Reid on the sideline…:(

3. Michelle says:

I’m commenting from my phone and just read the previous comment.. Take that BS out of here please.. Unless you ate stupid or blind the media is totally biased against athletes of color.. No one here has a problem with Flaccio.. He did well and Caldwell called a great game.. His receivers made great grabs as well so go kick rocks!!! The media should allow players to grow up and Flacco has done so along with the fact he has a better offensive coordinator this season…

4. Michelle says:

I’m a Niners fan so I’m not trying to give any Ravens love.. I’m MAD!! Notice one of the pictures selected for the article is of Flacco.. Stating Flacco gave Lewis the ultimate going away gift… That’s not love?? Deshawn.. TSF tries to provide balance to the horrible MSM bias.. I see on a regular bases on tv and in print I read.. Blacks have taken too much crap .. America was built on the backs of our ancestors for FREE and now we arent’t even suppose to mention our history or current injustice?? Well F people like you.!! If you’re black, Lord help you and if your white you need to take a racial reality check class.. You will not tell us how to feel when that’s all we have left!!

5. MICHELLE says:

I’m on my laptop now… Please excuse the typos and mispelled words in my previous post..I’m going blind and can’t see half the things I text on my iphone….Now…..I’m really mad.. We celebrate the accomplishments of people of color here…We do not unfairly slam people of other races not deserving… Flacco was awesome and I said so…The young qb on my Niners was also good in part because this was his first year playing qb in the NFL in a starting role…. How many veteran qb’s have played as well? The stupid stat about him being the first Niners qb to throw a pick in the SB is petty BS…Where Montana is king Steve Young took awhile to get the Niners back to the SB and he threw picks in playoff games… His inability to beat the Cowboys drove me nuts…Colin lead the team to the SB his first season and should be celebrated for his performance!!

6. Ron Glover says:

If this clown read any of my Ravens’ playoff predictions, he would know exactly where I stood with Flacco. Arguing with this fool isn’t worth it.

7. Ron Glover says:

Oh yea! To hell with Boomer Esiason. Dude has a serious axe to grind with Ray Lewis. He was right there, he should’ve made his feelings known to the man.

8. MICHELLE says:

Flacco was poised and led his team…..BUT… Don’t tell ma a case couldn’t be made for Boldin or Jones for MVP.. They made adjustments on several huge grabs and Jones put a much needed 6 on the board by himself…Like Desmond Howard before him who was named the MVP of the SB the Packers won.

9. MICHELLE says:

Good work Ron……People like him piss me off!

10. MICHELLE says:

Maybe he can explain to me why the media hasn’t labeled Verlander a post season choke artist or why Hamilton’s drug issues never come up when he plays.. Or why Big Ben’s rape charges aren’t mentioned when the D A said he had a lot of evidence but the victim was afraid to testify thus making a potential case weak.. Or why no one mentions Brett Myers beating his wife up in public including in front of people who work for the Phillies. Not only was he not punished by the team at ALL after his wifes statement to police and many witnesses, he pitched the next day……ALL reasons why black athletes have been slammed by the media……OVER AND OVER AND OVER…..All I want is the media to be fair with everyone!!!

11. MICHELLE says:

Maybe if the sports media wasn’t almost 90% white there would be fair and balanced reporting..Talk about discrimination.. Teams should be taken to court for the lack of brown faces in the locker room after a game(especially a NBA game where the players are 85% black) It’s criminal, and the few brown faces who are hired for the most part are Uncle Toms afraid to speak out when athletes of color are used as punching bags like slaves on the auction block.

12. MICHELLE says:

Cliff Lee can go after Victorino in the dugout for misjudging a ball and no one says a thing.. Lee the same guy who threw at Sammy Sosa’s head for no reason and was checked by his own battery Victor Martinez… Victorino plays solid defense and rarely makes mistakes in the field didn’t deserve that.. If Victorino went after Lee after he blew a 4 run lead at home thus costing the Philles the game in the NLDS vs the cards the media would have been all over him. It seems only black athletes are slammed by the media for publically criticising teammates…I COULD GO ON AND ON AND ON……

13. Ron Glover says:

I couldn’t have said it better Michelle. If we have it figured out, I’m wondering what is taking eveyone else so long.

14. MICHELLE says:

It’s really sad Ron….Something needs to be done…If I have listen to Chis Collingsworth one more time…..I’m going to scream!!!

15. des says:

I’m in disbelief, my team won the Super Bowl. Yes Jacoby or Boldin could have won the MVP, it was Flacco who set the tone for this victory. And you could see the change in leadership. Under Ray and Brian Billick, the swagger was great early on but it grew oppressive thanks to guys like Bart Scott, Chris McAllister and Orlando Brown. The Ravens became all sizzle, no steak. It was obvious when they played the Steelers, Patriots, and Colts. When John Harbaugh and Flacco came in, I began to see the change in demeanor. The swagger was replaced with a confidence that grew and grew. Five years later, it has become the standard. These Ravens don’t have to talk smack, they can now show and prove. In the words of Above The Law ” It’s not what you know, it’s what you can prove”. That’s what winning the Super Bowl did for this team. You’ll still have your Terell Suggs, he’s the last link to the past era. But I’m looking forward to the age of Flacco, Rice, Torry Smith, Ngata, and Pitta. This is the new style. Oh the places we can go!!!

16. Michelle says:

Booooo!!!!! lol.. Congrats Ravens fan.