The Diva Debate: Anita Baker vs. Sade

The Diva Debate is a segment of The Starting Five where two iconic African-American women from the world of entertainment, sports, etc. are paired — leaving our readers free to debate.

This week’s segment focuses on iconic songsbirds, Anita Baker and Sade.

Seven albums, eight Grammy Awards and a multitude of fans at her back, Anita Baker was one of the unforgettable voices of the mid 80’s and 1990’s. If you close your eyes and listen to Baker you may find yourself sitting on the front pew on a Sunday morning or grooving in a smoke-filled cabaret. Baker’s alto tone is perfect for a catalog which features gospel and soul. The multi-platinum artist has returned to the music scene after a long hiatus. Baker is working on her eighth album ‘Only Forever’.

Seemingly hidden by the star power of Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson and Anita Baker, Sade Adu has more than held her own in an industry where becoming one of the forgotten ones isn’t hard. Although the Nigerian-born contralto doesn’t have the physical hardware of her contemporaries, she can boast of timeless music based on love, struggle, pain and hope — ranging from soft rock to jazz. Her fan base remains deep and committed. In 2002, she was awarded an Officer of the Order of the British Empire by Prince Charles.

8 Responses to “The Diva Debate: Anita Baker vs. Sade”

Anita Baker has the better voice but Ms. Adu has the better songs overall. Tough choice so I’m not going to make it…LOL

2. SFaison says:

While being a fan of both, owning most of the music and seeing them in concert. Ms. Baker comes off like a fun loving older cousin whose got it all together. Or a homegirl that made you step up your game if you ever had any hope of getting with. While Sade, very sexy comes off British empire cold. I say all of that to say this is like kissing your sister. In other words a tie.

How dare you. You don’t post Anita’s “Fairy Tales” or Sade’s “King of Sorrow”??

A pox on your house!

4. mapoui says:

ha ha! Faison is funny! British Empire cold is apt, fits..that’s Sade whole..cold!

I don’t see a tie at all. I see Anita all the way.

Anita is silk, smooth sexy enough, great voice…may be all the help you need to convert a good night.

not Anita herself..she is distant…but the one near-by, on your level..the one you took out for the night

5. ch555x says:

Each has their place (I can’t choose)…

6. Michelle says:

Love them!!

7. Tomas Kensington III says:

Sade all the way.

Her voice is extraordinary and I’ve never heard and probably will never hear another woman with such sensual tones.

Listen to I NEVER THOUGHT I’D SEE THE DAY… the most beautiful song I’ve ever heard in my life…. By Sade. :-)